Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Wattbike Trainer model (non pro)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-23, 10:41 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Wattbike Trainer model (non pro)

Anybody have any experience with the non-pro Wattbike.
My Tacx neo2t has become an incredibly frustrating piece of machinery and I've given up on it. Was interested in a Wattbike but the only ones in a driving distance from me are trainers. Looking at the website the difference is the resistance (2k for the trainer and 3k+ for the pro)
The tacx is rated for 2k+ but slips badly at anything over 1100. Garmin support has been... garmin support... and basically they told me "it won't reach the rated peak watts with sudden accelerations" which seems insane. Who is steadily ramping up to 2k?

Basically, I don't think I'm going to be hitting the rated max for the wattbike trainer... but if it has issues at ~1200-1600w I'd just avoid it and wait, but no info online.
Old 11-24-23, 01:54 AM
Bluscuba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi - I’ve used both and they are both really good. If anything I found the trainer has a a bit more of a usable range (for me). I doubt you would have any issues. I’ve been using the atom x as well - good machine as well.
Old 01-29-24, 04:31 AM
RobertPaulson

Bikes: Dolan DF4, Tarmac SL7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
Anybody have any experience with the non-pro Wattbike.
My Tacx neo2t has become an incredibly frustrating piece of machinery and I've given up on it. Was interested in a Wattbike but the only ones in a driving distance from me are trainers. Looking at the website the difference is the resistance (2k for the trainer and 3k+ for the pro)
The tacx is rated for 2k+ but slips badly at anything over 1100. Garmin support has been... garmin support... and basically they told me "it won't reach the rated peak watts with sudden accelerations" which seems insane. Who is steadily ramping up to 2k?

Basically, I don't think I'm going to be hitting the rated max for the wattbike trainer... but if it has issues at ~1200-1600w I'd just avoid it and wait, but no info online.
the non-pro fan driven wattbike or their smart bike one?

I haven't yet come across an electro magnetic trainer that doesn't slip or provide a good resistance profile for starts or low cadence work, peak watts on all of them is with high flywheel speed, the magnets can't cope with anywhere near reasonable torque at low flywheel speeds. Both the fan and the 'smart' wattbike are notorious for over-reading sprint power.

Can you pick up a lemond revolution + a s/s converter somewhere and put your track bike on it? Nail it down and smack a big gear on - 100% the best for starts outside of doing starts.
Old 01-29-24, 07:59 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
thanks all for the insight.
I decided against a non pro wattbike. Would be too expensive to take a chance vs. just a normal pro model.

RobertPaulson Honestly I'm just kind of done with getting the bike on/off the trainer. Add to that the Lemond's are hard to find and expensive especially with a fixed converter, don't have power/connectivity (without the very rare upgrade) and I think I'd be better off just getting a pro.
I'm more or less a glorified Peloton rider now anyways, might has well have a fancy stationary piece of furniture