Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Don't call them "mobility assistive device"

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 05:31 PM
theta444

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone

Just a note, my husband and I are going on our honeymoon with Bromptons on Air Canada tomorrow. In researching various threads, I came across some posts that echoed things I have seen people use elsewhere... "Call it your 'mobility assistance device' when carrying it onto a plane." (and things of that nature)

I'm an advocate for people with disabilities and this thought really horrifies me.

Yes, we all use a bike to augment our transportation options and make them as efficient as possible. Yes, we all bought a folding bike to avoid the headaches (and transportation fees) imposed by full size traditional bikes. Yes, they help us get around. Yes, some airlines have really #$!#$!#@$!# stupid and egregious policies around folding bikes. (but not discriminatory)

However, the fact is that people who have physical disabilities do not get a choice about using their (actual) "mobility assistance devices." Whereas, for the most part, we are CHOOSING to take our folding bikes so that we can make the best use of all our options.

Federal laws (the ADA and in the case of airplanes, the Air Carrier Access Act) were created so that those people could actually bring their "mobility assistance devices" places, without which they cannot do the basics of every day living like eating, going to the bathroom, bathing, shopping for food, etc.

I do know people for whom a bicycle is an alternative to a wheelchair or scooter- a truly useful and economical device for assisting them to go distances that the average person would be able to walk.

If you are not one of those people, you are no better than people who willfully misuse disability parking placards for free or convenient parking, or claim that a pet is a service animal in order to bring it on public transportation. Creating public mistrust of people who have disabilities that truly need the protection of the law.

</end rant>

Last edited by theta444; 06-03-14 at 05:32 PM. Reason: add end rant
Old 06-03-14, 10:10 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
keyven - I get the point the OP was making here - able-bodied people "working the system" to take advantage of support/service/[or otherwise less road blocks] intended to improve the quality of life for those that are handicapped and for whom that support/service/[or otherwise less road blocks] was implemented. The defining line there is whether you have a disability that is over-come by the use of, in the context of this thread, a "mobility device".

Yeah, your examples of the skateboard, inline skates, unicycles, etc are "transportation devices", of sorts, they are not akin to a "mobility scooter" or "wheel chair" in that they are recreational devices. A wheelchair and mobility scooter are not "recreational" devices, nor would they be used by able-bodied people to help "get around", in such manner as a bicycle.

Thanks for the post theta444. I hope you don't mind my 2 cents. Is the "theta" in your username for trig?
Old 06-03-14, 11:30 PM
dorkypants

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I say "exercise equipment", some friends have suggested "bike parts" (if the bike is partially disassembled for packing). Both are essentially true descriptions.

OP, I get your point about gaming the system via questionable ethics, but it's not like anyone's using up one of a limited number of designated slots from passengers who genuinely need a mobility assistive device—as would be the case when someone takes a handicapped parking spot improperly.
Old 06-03-14, 11:35 PM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm happy with my approach and my ethics.
Old 06-04-14, 12:41 AM
theta444

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
To be fair, I'm not sure why you need to aggressively segregate yourself from "differently-abled" users of mobility assistance devices. Aren't supporters supposed to desire a world where society treats a regular person and one without legs with as little difference as possible?

"Mobility assistance devices" says nothing about the user, so that's supposed to be a GOOD thing right? It makes legless little Tommy less conscientious when the intercom says "Tommy, we are standing by the exit with your mobility assistance device" which could be a kickscooter, bicycle or wheelchair.

Linguistically speaking, the term applies perfectly to all users of skateboards, inline skates, unicycles, bicycles, wheelchairs, crutches and so on. I dislike political correctness taken to the extreme, but I can understand why the airline did this. The neutral term covers all the bases without singling out the handicapped.

There's really no reason for you to get upset over some imaginary slight.
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. One, this is not "political correctness," the phrase mobility assistance device when asking for an exception to existing rules specifically invokes US federal law (the aforementioned ACAA and ADA). That's not political correctness. Two, it is not an act of integration for me to take advantage of that law in order for a convenience and/or to save myself money. I'm not helping other people, only myself.
Old 06-04-14, 12:41 AM
theta444

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! No, it's an old nickname
Old 06-04-14, 12:48 AM
theta444

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah, i'm all about gaming the system. We have our two Bromptons in a box smaller than 1 normal size bike box so...fingers crossed...we will say its 1 bike or bike parts and not have to pay the full fee for 2
No, there's no limited slots, it's just that when airline employees see people trying to game the system in this specific way, t makes them more testy and suspicious with people who actually do need these accommodations. I was recently on a flight and a passenger near me had an crutch, which the steward trued to tell her she had to check plane side, and she ended up having to argue with the pilot explaining that she needed it to go to the bathroom in flight and that she had had this issue with this airline before (but not a competitor) before they agreed to let her keep it. When everyone starts having a "device" of unusual size and shape, employees start looking suspiciously at all of them.
Old 06-04-14, 01:45 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theta444
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. One, this is not "political correctness," the phrase mobility assistance device when asking for an exception to existing rules specifically invokes US federal law (the aforementioned ACAA and ADA). That's not political correctness. Two, it is not an act of integration for me to take advantage of that law in order for a convenience and/or to save myself money. I'm not helping other people, only myself.
Oh, I apologise for my post then. I misread the OP and thought the airline labeled your bikes as such. Rather it is the people on forums and such suggesting you call your bicycles "mobility assisting devices".
Old 06-04-14, 08:34 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
c'mon .. lets not get our panties in a bunch because of linguistics ....
Now... I never take any place away from anybody inside the plane. I always check my bike(s) NEVER inside. ( besides that it is illegal to do so in every case, size and weight restrictions for overheads, its unsafe and put people inside the plane in grave danger )

It goes where bags suitcases golfbags surfboards etc go ...
Talking about golfbags surfboards alike.... so far most airlines dont charge for them, while they want ungodly amounts for a bicycle. Which is ethically dead wrong, as long as other stuff which is heavier and biogger flys free, I have no qualms about calling my bicycle mobility device, or bicycle parts by that matter.

I am using a legit sized suitcase, and in all reality I have not been asked for a very long time whats in it during check in.

but again to the OP ... I never park on a handicap spot. Just donated a new folding bike for a fundraiser to help wounded soldiers. Try to do my best to help others.

best Thor