Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Target/Kmart/Big W bike or an actual bike shop?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Target/Kmart/Big W bike or an actual bike shop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 10:02 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Thread has gone for 6 pages and not even one reply from OP.
I noticed the same and it is not uncommon. Eleven days now. I vow to not reply (I did on the first day) to a newbie "what bike should I buy" thread until they come back at least once. What a waste of time.
Old 12-26-19, 10:48 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I noticed the same and it is not uncommon. Eleven days now. I vow to not reply (I did on the first day) to a newbie "what bike should I buy" thread until they come back at least once. What a waste of time.
My reply is a standard post I have saved in Word. All I have to change is the “yo “whoever” part!

:-)

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 12-26-19, 11:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
The subject of this thread is low hanging fruit, if you catch my drift.
Old 12-26-19, 12:32 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Thread has gone for 6 pages and not even one reply from OP.
he tricked us

Old 12-26-19, 12:34 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Have you ever handled a HelMart kids bike? Have you ever worked on or picked up a “designer bike”? The difference between the two is astounding. Some of these bike can drag 40 lbs. Little kids (and smaller adults) have less muscle mass and less strength but we ask them to ride bikes that can weigh as much as they do and sometimes more. Go put pedals on a motorcycle...with the engine still in place...and go see how much you like to ride it.

People who ride bikes that weigh a fraction of their body weight shouldn’t tell people that weight doesn’t matter when the weight in question is either a significant percentage of their weight or a multiple of it.
did you forget how quickly kids grow? How many designer bikes do you want to buy for a youngster?
Old 12-26-19, 02:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
did you forget how quickly kids grow? How many designer bikes do you want to buy for a youngster?

Well, if you want this one, the maximum number is 100:

https://thearsenale.com/products/bog...ior-silver-bmx
Old 12-26-19, 05:40 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Nope. Didn’t forget that kids grow. But if they have to try to move around a tank, they will soon move on to other endeavors that don’t involve moving machines that weigh more then they do that don’t roll all that well.

I never forced my children to ride HelMart bikes. I bought good used bikes, they rode on a tandem and I bought them good bikes as they got older. I did what I could to make sure that the bikes weren’t heavier than they were...the same I do fo my wife.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-26-19, 05:51 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Nope. Didn’t forget that kids grow. But if they have to try to move around a tank, they will soon move on to other endeavors that don’t involve moving machines that weigh more then they do that don’t roll all that well.

I never forced my children to ride HelMart bikes. I bought good used bikes, they rode on a tandem and I bought them good bikes as they got older. I did what I could to make sure that the bikes weren’t heavier than they were...the same I do fo my wife.
i will say I have had good luck finding higher quality used kids bikes (tune up and new grips and the kids are in business). But I’d consider the big box store bikes too if need be. Depends on kid and level of riding/desire to ride.

Last edited by Rajflyboy; 12-26-19 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-29-19, 05:54 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I knew your post when I read the title would solicit massive response and all kinds of views. Department store bikes...…..well, depending on what you are looking for is a determining factor???? First off, you will not even more than likely find a "road bike" at a department store! I have never seen one in my area. So that case is closed as far as I am concerned and if you do find one like the infamous GMC thing labeled a bike, well, you have just that, something labeled a road bike. There is no comparison to that thing as compared to even the lowest cost road bike from a LBS. Now when buying a kid's bike it is the best place to go...….cheap and if it breaks, oh well. Kid's are not concerned with keeping a bike in shape. Ride it jump off it and let it roll into a tree to stop! That was me back in the 70's with Huffy and other like bikes from K-Mart, Roses and Sears!

Now lets get to even if you find a road bike at a department giant...…..it was put together by a teenage snot driveling millennial who knows not one thing on proper torque or setup. In their defense, they are not hired really to even care and I don't expect them to care. Your LBS if a quality one, will take the time to fit you and discuss setup even with a showroom bottom tier level road bike. Even a mountain bike or gravel bike. Plus the expertise and one on one cannot be had at department store.

If you are on a budget go used like on Craigslist or on bike forums with local sellers near you. Best deal to be had as most cyclist (especially road riders) keep their rides pristine. Plus they as an experienced rider will discuss any questions you have. The best deals are those newbies that have way more money than sense and they buy a $5k road bike and find out cycling is not their thing and then sell it for a big loss! I have seen a few of those in the past. But most are reasonably and fairly priced and ready to ride many miles.

To cap it again, unless I was shopping for a 5 year old's first bike to beat up on and learn to ride, stay away from department stores. If you are looking to get a decent bike for a child or yourself that has been riding for a while look used if new is beyond what you want to pay. I think bike prices are insane new and especially the mid to higher tier bikes for sure, but it is like any sport/hobby, it takes all kinds and all kinds of diverse incomes!

I find for me I can build a bike up all new by putting components together and have a nice ride over buying it off the showroom floor. But I self taught myself over the years to build up bikes and understand the mechanical side. But you would be best suited if a newbie to visit your LBS. If no LBS is nearby, then network like this forum and get pointers then purchase from what advice given.
Old 12-29-19, 11:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
The really frustrating thing about Wal-Mart bikes is that they could be so much better with some thought applied to what makes them bad. ESPECIALLY the kid bikes.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-30-19, 08:10 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The really frustrating thing about Wal-Mart bikes is that they could be so much better with some thought applied to what makes them bad. ESPECIALLY the kid bikes.
It must be especially frustrating for people financially or emotionally invested in the successful operation of an LBS, to watch so many people ignore the offerings of allegedly finely crafted, superbly assembled bicycles that would be fitted and maintained by artisans devoted to their customers' needs, for allegedly unworthy bicycles and accessories from the big box retailers.
Old 12-30-19, 08:23 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
An odd perspective.
Old 12-30-19, 08:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I knew your post when I read the title would solicit massive response and all kinds of views. Department store bikes...…..well, depending on what you are looking for is a determining factor???? First off, you will not even more than likely find a "road bike" at a department store! I have never seen one in my area. So that case is closed as far as I am concerned and if you do find one like the infamous GMC thing labeled a bike, well, you have just that, something labeled a road bike. There is no comparison to that thing as compared to even the lowest cost road bike from a LBS. Now when buying a kid's bike it is the best place to go...….cheap and if it breaks, oh well. Kid's are not concerned with keeping a bike in shape. Ride it jump off it and let it roll into a tree to stop! That was me back in the 70's with Huffy and other like bikes from K-Mart, Roses and Sears!

Now lets get to even if you find a road bike at a department giant...…..it was put together by a teenage snot driveling millennial who knows not one thing on proper torque or setup. In their defense, they are not hired really to even care and I don't expect them to care. Your LBS if a quality one, will take the time to fit you and discuss setup even with a showroom bottom tier level road bike. Even a mountain bike or gravel bike. Plus the expertise and one on one cannot be had at department store.

If you are on a budget go used like on Craigslist or on bike forums with local sellers near you. Best deal to be had as most cyclist (especially road riders) keep their rides pristine. Plus they as an experienced rider will discuss any questions you have. The best deals are those newbies that have way more money than sense and they buy a $5k road bike and find out cycling is not their thing and then sell it for a big loss! I have seen a few of those in the past. But most are reasonably and fairly priced and ready to ride many miles.

To cap it again, unless I was shopping for a 5 year old's first bike to beat up on and learn to ride, stay away from department stores. If you are looking to get a decent bike for a child or yourself that has been riding for a while look used if new is beyond what you want to pay. I think bike prices are insane new and especially the mid to higher tier bikes for sure, but it is like any sport/hobby, it takes all kinds and all kinds of diverse incomes!

I find for me I can build a bike up all new by putting components together and have a nice ride over buying it off the showroom floor. But I self taught myself over the years to build up bikes and understand the mechanical side. But you would be best suited if a newbie to visit your LBS. If no LBS is nearby, then network like this forum and get pointers then purchase from what advice given.

I think telling a newbie to count on the kindness, honesty and good faith of Craigslist sellers to fill in his/her knowledge gaps is crazy bad advice.
Old 12-30-19, 09:00 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It must be especially frustrating for people financially or emotionally invested in the successful operation of an LBS, to watch so many people ignore the offerings of allegedly finely crafted, superbly assembled bicycles that would be fitted and maintained by artisans devoted to their customers' needs, for allegedly unworthy bicycles and accessories from the big box retailers.
The artisan who built my road bike couldn't care less about such people. An educated consumer is his best customer.

Old 12-30-19, 09:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
No, it is frustrating to try and help people keep a piece of machinery operating that was never built to operate for long in the first place. The unworthy offerings from the Big Box Stores were never meant to be anything other than a come-on to get people into the store to buy something else that is equally as useless. Those of us who actually care about how other people’s bikes work and how long they last aren’t the ones who are out to fleece the customer. When the purchaser of a HelMart bike finds out that it won’t work, the vast majority of them stop riding it and all other bicycles.

I don’t sell bikes. I don’t charge to fix bikes. I donate a large amount of my time...six hours every Saturday throughout the year and have for 10 years...to helping people keep their bikes moving. I’ve seen more of these kinds of bikes than even the most experienced HelMart assembler, let alone a paid bike shop mechanic. I would never tell a person who brought one of these in to “fix” it that the bike is a piece of junk but my long experience with them and with the frustrations of keeping them operating doesn’t leave me with any illusions that they are diamonds in the rough. Work on a few thousand of them...yes, I’ve worked on thousands of them...and then tell me that they are “allegedly unworthy”.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-30-19, 09:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No, it is frustrating to try and help people keep a piece of machinery operating that was never built to operate for long in the first place. The unworthy offerings from the Big Box Stores were never meant to be anything other than a come-on to get people into the store to buy something else that is equally as useless. Those of us who actually care about how other people’s bikes work and how long they last aren’t the ones who are out to fleece the customer. When the purchaser of a HelMart bike finds out that it won’t work, the vast majority of them stop riding it and all other bicycles.

I don’t sell bikes. I don’t charge to fix bikes. I donate a large amount of my time...six hours every Saturday throughout the year and have for 10 years...to helping people keep their bikes moving. I’ve seen more of these kinds of bikes than even the most experienced HelMart assembler, let alone a paid bike shop mechanic. I would never tell a person who brought one of these in to “fix” it that the bike is a piece of junk but my long experience with them and with the frustrations of keeping them operating doesn’t leave me with any illusions that they are diamonds in the rough. Work on a few thousand of them...yes, I’ve worked on thousands of them...and then tell me that they are “allegedly unworthy”.

You guys have macros that just generate these posts by now, don't you?

Groundhog Day! "I Got You Babe!"
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-30-19, 09:19 AM
indyfabz

This thread has me seriously considering buying a BSO for the experience. Can anyone recommend a make and model large enough for someone 6'2"?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-30-19, 09:40 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This thread has me seriously considering buying a BSO for the experience. Can anyone recommend a make and model large enough for someone 6'2"?
The GMC Denali comes in 4 (count 'em 4!!!) sizes!

I'm sure a $45 stem or 2 will get you in the ballpark as far as fit.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-30-19, 09:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by base2

All you have to do is find one. They ain't making 'em no more.
Old 12-30-19, 10:14 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by base2

How about this one?

Love this review:

"Is this an inexpensive bike? Yes. Do you get what you pay for? Yes. But that does not mean this is a bad bike! If you go buy a $1500 bike from a bike shop, they will insist on setting it up for you. The reason is because the builders are building these bikes knowing they are going to a shop. If you refused to let them set up your super road bike, it would ride, shift and break like a really light piece of junk. The Kent road tech is no different. IV put 114 miles on mine, after setting everything up properly and it is an awesome bike. It's a little heavy, the gears don't go quite high enough to compete with the expensive bikes in a sprint, and the brakes need adjustment, but it rides lovely once you set it up. So my final little plug, get the bike, get it set up, and as long as you do, you can't beat the value, I promise. But you will not buy this bike off the shelf and be ready to ride, it must be set up, it's a performance cycle and needs to be treated like one, even if it is less expensive."
Old 12-30-19, 10:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

How about this one?

I'm a sucker for green brakes.
Old 12-30-19, 10:31 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
How about this one?
Love this review:
Buy it and provide your review. More than likely you will find that it is not exactly the same as your custom bicycle. And that it wouldn't fit your current needs.

Or you can just make up your mind about its value for yourself, as well as for every other bicycle consumer, based on the rants and diatribes frequently posted on threads such as this by "enthusiasts" who passionately promote the virtues of buying only product with LBS provenance regardless of intended use.
Old 12-30-19, 10:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Buy it and provide your review. More than likely you will find that it is not exactly the same as your custom bicycle. And that it wouldn't fit your current needs.

Or you can just make up your mind about its value for yourself, as well as for every other bicycle consumer, based on the rants and diatribes frequently posted on threads such as this by "enthusiasts" who passionately promote the virtues of buying only product with LBS provenance regardless of intended use.

Pretty sure the valve on your trombone is stuck because all we hear from you is the same note.

Seriously, I have made the same challenge to you to actually add something constructive to the conversation rather than railing on about how you are shocked, shocked to find that this establishment is full of bike enthusiasts. If you really want to champion the interests of a newbie bike consumer, how about actually providing some useful information about how they could tell whether a Walmart bike actually was suitable to their intended use and and available budget? Unless you're arguing that all Walmart bikes are good enough for everything and pretty much the same. You aren't arguing THAT, are you?

So please prove me wrong and actually engage in some non-trollish behavior on one of these threads.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-30-19, 11:46 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Buy the roadtech and buy both front and back higher quality derailleurs and have the thing put together properly with proper grease, etc, etc and you will have a workable bicycle for far less than 400$$$

not too bad if that is your budget

new seat and pedals when able

Last edited by Rajflyboy; 12-30-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 11:52 AM
indyfabz

I'm really only interested as to how well it would hold up. Maybe use it for my short commute when I work in town. That would certainly save wear and tear on the LHT. Making up my mind about value isn't going to reveal that. Indeed, how could one determine value without knowing that?

I did notice, however, that it doesn't seem to come in different sizes, unless I missed something on the web site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.