Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

There Are Cycling Advocate Type Drivers Out There

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 01-05-20, 05:34 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts

Of course one only hears the constant complaints from posters in a cycling forum.

Here are some good things that actually happen on my road rides. If you have some good stories, let's have them!

YESTERDAY: I was finishing up my ride and had to cross one last street near a popular stadium used for many types of events. The event was just about the start I am guessing as there were tons of cars around trying to get to the parking lot. I rode through a parking lot cooling down as I approached the end. I saw the long line of cars so I rode along the sidewalk for about 30 feet to a driveway. I approached the driveway, down onto the pavement riding along the gutter at about 2 mph waiting for an opening. There wasn't one so I just turned my head toward oncoming traffic figuring I would have to wait at least a couple minutes to get across, if not a few as busy as it was. Next thing I know, I hear a honk, I turn my head and it is a gal in a car waving at me to cross.

Cool! I looked back and there had to be a line of at least 20 cars. She slowed to guestimating 3 or 4 MPH and waved me across. Cool, she blocked traffic so that I could cross safely! They ain't all bad!

I can say several other times, riding the roads, during peak rush hour, I have approached several 4 way stop sign intersections and have been waved by the entire gang. Other times I have been riding up the local mountain. Drivers drive by and shout encouragement. Other times I have been up local mountain roads with nobody around when a sole car will drive by. But not without stopping to ask if I was OK, had everything I needed, or needed anything. I have been climbing up local mountain roads and had drivers pull up and ask if I needed anything while taking a break. Heck, if I take a break on a ride, I get concerned drivers rolling up willing to help.

I had a guy stop at a park one time. The park was on my local route. Guy passed me in a delivery van about 1/2 a mile before the park. When I was rolling by, he shouted," wow man, you're doing great! I saw you back there when I passed and thought it would take you forever to get her but you are really rolling!". I thought that was cool though I am a much slower climber than I was 10 years ago ha ha!

Another time, the wife and I were climbing up the local mountain road. 6% grade for 13 miles. Had an SUV pull over in a turnout watching as we rolled by. Lady shouted out the window, "she's doing great!". Then she asked if we needed any bottle water. NO thanks, we have everything but thanks anyway, thanks for the compliment!

So as much bad stuff I read in advocacy forums, I have to say there are plenty of CYCLING ADVOCATES that are driving around that are on our side and helping us out!

This is Southern California so your results may vary!

The one bad experience I had, was the Summer of 1994. I was riding a local road on a hot Summer night. Busy street and a car drove by. I heard a shot then felt something spray me. Smelled like beer. I really hate beer so that was insulting enough ha ha! So that was my big double whammy. I know there are some dangerous places and stupid drivers but I can read about them in 90% of the other threads here;

So if you have any good CYCLING DRIVER ADVOCATE STORIES, let's hear something good for once!
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 01-05-20, 08:58 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I think the positive comments I hav received outweigh the negative. I think I am guilty of overweighting the nasty comments. Even 2 days ago, 2 positive and one moron. I thought it was a bad day but in retrospect it was 2 to1 positive!
Likes For debade:
Old 01-05-20, 11:10 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by debade
Thanks for posting this. I think the positive comments I hav received outweigh the negative. I think I am guilty of overweighting the nasty comments. Even 2 days ago, 2 positive and one moron. I thought it was a bad day but in retrospect it was 2 to1 positive!

Full glass vs half empty!
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 01-06-20, 08:02 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
So if you have any good CYCLING DRIVER ADVOCATE STORIES, let's hear something good for once!
I can't think of any off the top of my head. I think it's human nature to better remember negative, or threatening incidence.

However, I know that over 27+years of serious bike commuting I have more than once called the business on the side of a vehicle to compliment them on their courtesy to me.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-06-20, 11:06 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I had a very similar thing happen the other day where, during AM rush hour, a nice woman in the front of a long line of cars, basically, slowed down to, like 5 mph, to allow me to turn left when there was a brief break in the traffic.

I have said here before that at least here in town, even with all the loser-jerks, and they are def out there, I would still say I have 8 or 9 positive encounters for every loser. It is worth mentioning and tipping the hat to these positive folks.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-06-20, 04:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Great topic. It's usually nothing very dramatic for me, just simple things like a driver thanking me for a courtesy or rolling down their window for a pleasant chat at a stop light.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-06-20, 05:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,933 Times in 4,670 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
However, I know that over 27+years of serious bike commuting I have more than once called the business on the side of a vehicle to compliment them on their courtesy to me.
This. Too often, we complain about bad drivers. But I have occasionally chased down (or later come across) a driver who showed exceptional courtesy, just to say "thanks." It's good to put some positive impressions out there for all the cyclists.

My fave story: once, out on a very quiet rural road, my rear wheel broke apart. While waiting for my wife to come get me, a young woman stopped to offer me a ride. I wondered why she thought it was safe to offer a strange man a ride, out in the middle of nowhere...Then I realized that, clad entirely in lycra, I did not look very threatening.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-07-20, 12:00 AM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by Koyote
...Then I realized that, clad entirely in lycra, I did not look very threatening.
Ha ha ha!

Brings to mind a little mishap I had. A fast downhill switchback while descending a canyon. Hairpin turn where I could easily go faster than traffic. Hot Summer day, taking the turn when my rear tire blew out. I fishtailed all over the road and head on with oncoming traffic, lucky me a Suburban!

I went into their lane and thankfully the car behind me stopped soon enough to avoid making a tamale out of me. But I was going head on with opposing traffic. To my left a bank, way down, but if I have to go, I will dive over the side and hope a skunk catches me to soften the blow. Luckily the Suburban was paying attention and stopped while I continued to fishtail. I am not sure why I did not bo down till after I realized the pedal hit the back of my leg and stood me straight up a couple times. So I was able to stop without taking the dive, THANKS TO THE DRIVERS AROUND ME!

I got off my bike, carried it to the side and about 3 drivers there offered me a ride back into town. I was stunned with the whole incident so not thinking straight, I just refused them all. I was standing on the side of the road with my legs shaking, must have been adrenaline. I did change the flat and found the wheel was tacoed. Luckily I was only about 5 miles away so I limped back on the bike hoping the wheel would hold up.

But if those good drivers had not been paying attention in that tricky canyon and its scary switchbacks (in a car), I would not be here today.

I wonder how many forum posters would miss me!
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 01-07-20, 05:53 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Back a decade or so ago, I had a daily commute that included a short section of interstate 5 in San Diego... it is legal to be on this section. The return trip home was uphill, off at an offramp and left across a Y to the top of the ramp, where I made a left. Well crossing that lower part of the Y meant I had to directly deal with near freeway speed traffic, while I was moving at about 10mph, uphill.

The ONLY WAY to do this was with cooperative motorists. (Or no traffic... a situation which might have occurred at 3 AM)

As I would reach my crossing point, I would extend my arm to indicate my turn... a couple of cars would go by, but there was ALWAYS at least one motorist that would slow down and act as my "shield" as I made my turn.

Granted, traffic generally was slowing as it approached the ramp... maybe moving at 40mph or so as they hit that exit... but I was only moving at 10mph or so... and needed "a crossing guardian..." and someone always rose to the occasion. My faith in kind humans was rewarded daily.

Anyone living in San Diego may remember the Genesee exit off of southbound I5... it may be different today, there has been considerable ramp construction in that area as of late... so that configuration may have since changed.
Likes For genec:
Old 01-07-20, 08:45 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 372 Posts
Back in the 90s I was riding home from work. Part of my ritual was to get through Morristown NJ as quickly as I could so that cars did not need to pass me. As I was sat on the rivet and pushed the big ring, the van in front of me noticed my effort and stuck his hand out the window to show me how fast I was going. It was my Breaking Away moment and I'll never forget it.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 01-07-20, 10:01 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This. Too often, we complain about bad drivers. But I have occasionally chased down (or later come across) a driver who showed exceptional courtesy, just to say "thanks." It's good to put some positive impressions out there for all the cyclists.

My fave story: once, out on a very quiet rural road, my rear wheel broke apart. While waiting for my wife to come get me, a young woman stopped to offer me a ride. I wondered why she thought it was safe to offer a strange man a ride, out in the middle of nowhere...Then I realized that, clad entirely in lycra, I did not look very threatening.
I've been on the other side of this. Some poor rider had a flat, and had used up all her CO2 cartridges (which is why I carry a pump! ) was walking along the road on the far west side of town. The nearest...anything...was probably 2-3 miles away, so I asked if she wanted to throw her bike in my RAV. I wound up only going about an extra mile to drop her where she wanted to go. I was on my way to work and it barely affected my commute at all, and made her day.

I've offered a few other times, but usually they were close to where they were going and declined.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 01-07-20, 10:41 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Where I live, south-coastal Delaware, it has gotten much better in the past few years. I frequently have drivers cede the right of way to me at traffic lights, stop signs, etc. I do the same for autos, depending on the situation. The same with pedestrians. I really do try to be courteous and understanding regardless of who has the right of way. I don't always succeed at that, but certainly, I do most of the time. I am very defensive and cautious on the roads, whether I am driving a vehicle, riding a bike or walking. I drive a school bus and being even more cautious doing that has increased my caution in other situations. One's self has the most effect on one's safety.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-07-20, 02:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I've been on the other side of this. Some poor rider had a flat, and had used up all her CO2 cartridges (which is why I carry a pump! ) was walking along the road on the far west side of town. The nearest...anything...was probably 2-3 miles away, so I asked if she wanted to throw her bike in my RAV. I wound up only going about an extra mile to drop her where she wanted to go. I was on my way to work and it barely affected my commute at all, and made her day.

I've offered a few other times, but usually they were close to where they were going and declined.

I'm really good with a roadside flat and don't need the help, but I always appreciate the drivers who offer it. And pedestrians and cyclists.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-07-20, 05:24 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by genec
but there was ALWAYS at least one motorist that would slow down and act as my "shield" as I made my turn.....................

... but I was only moving at 10mph or so... and needed "a crossing guardian..." and someone always rose to the occasion.

Old 01-07-20, 05:33 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane

Same here! There is a local organized ride that rides on my same roads so I won't pay to ride it. But I have taken tools, pump, and water along and passed it out to participating riders. That day, I repaired 3 flats, lent the pump 2 times, and gave one dude a lift up a short 1 mile 10% climb. He was pretty toasted or I would have said no, you can do it!

Another time, leaving a desert organized ride, heading out of town after the post ride BBQ, I encountered 3 riders just before sundown with another 5 miles to go. NEW BIKES on an organized ride, a NO NO!

I actually had my wife ride the ride and I somewhat followed along as her support vehicle, something different. But the riders had gone through all their spare tubes and could not figure out why 2 of the 3 kept flatting. Of course, I carry a long electrical tape when I'm support, saved me a few times. So I explained about cheap stock rim strips that suck. I taped them up, pumped them up, then gave them the 3 extra tubes I had. Pretty sure they made it after that seeing their flats were on the inside of the tube caused by spoke holes.

So yeah, I am one of those drivers myself!

So I help people whether I am on the bike or behind the wheel. Matter of fact, I was once mentioned in a local paper as being the friendliest cyclist in the valley!

Last edited by TheDudeIsHere; 01-07-20 at 05:36 PM.
Likes For TheDudeIsHere: