Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 08:12 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by robncircus
Brisk AM ride in Santa Clarita.

Untitled by Rob Clouthier, on Flickr
This guy, I remember this guy! Didn't you ride a black and yellow Giant about 10- 15 years ago?
Old 01-18-20, 10:05 AM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
This guy, I remember this guy! Didn't you ride a black and yellow Giant about 10- 15 years ago?
Hah I did! Did we ride together?
Likes For robncircus:
Old 01-18-20, 06:55 PM
TheDudeIsHere

43 miles on SART today. Well I thought about GMR but worried about ice since it rained couple days at night. Don't want to hit any ice on the decent. OK, so I wimped!

16.6 average speed today. VERY windy. At one point in Yorba, I was doing 12.8 giving it my all, and passing people. That is how windy it was today.

Old Fart club today.

Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 01-19-20, 05:25 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Took a hilly spin through Saleroso-Rowland Hgts, Pathfinder-Walnut, Carbon Canyon-Brea/Chino Hills, Cypress-La Habra Hgts and Turnbull Canyon-Whittier/Hacienda Hgts. Breezy in Carbon Canyon but great ride with some water in the creek.

Completed 60 miles and 5,800 ft/climb. Only saw a handful of cyclists today.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4456585442
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-20-20, 05:03 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
70+ miles in orange county with fellow forumite Tycho Brahe. did scr heading westbound and included the ascent of modjeska from the steeper side. included the side trip up silverado where there were an absolute ton of cyclists, then descended and played around in fhe anaheim hills before heading back to irvine. coolish and gray all day but nice to get out of town.

https://strava.app.link/Cmp0m7aKp3
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-24-20, 01:30 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Dam Ride

Yesterday, I rode from Hacienda Heights over Turnbull up the SGRT to Santa Fe Dam and up to the entrance of Azusa Canyon O/B. Noticed about a dozen tents in the riverbed just north of the Sierra Madre Blvd access bike lanes. I thought this was cleared but it does not take long for people to start camping again.

The concrete/asphalt at the Dunlop RxR crossing was removed so now you have to walk your bike over the rocks/tracks unless of course you are a skilled bunny hopper. The gate is still open.

The City of Whittier also setup a trailered digital message board on Beverly Blvd before you enter Turnbull Canyon reminding drivers to share the road with cyclists. I hope they paint the signs on the pavement as well like Chino Hills did with Carbon Canyon Rd. I think it does help raise awareness.

Here's the damage:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4470978952

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 01-24-20 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-29-20, 12:18 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

40+ miles in anza-borrego desert state park in the ne corner of san diego county. low/nearly zero winds out there (for once). the weather report was accurate re: the winds!
mid-upper 70's during the ride from 10:30am-2pm. the warmth of the sun (cue the beach boys) felt fantastic. did the s22 borrego to salton sea way to/from which has five
(one-way) fantastically scenic miles. one of my fave stretches in all of socal. low traffic. a few cyclists oot und aboot. a lou reed perfect day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3051933866#
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-29-20, 03:58 PM
CAT7RDR

Looking to get more mid-week rides in this year for weight loss and improving my climbing fitness. Did 6 hill repeats in Turnbull Canyon this morning. A few other roadies were doing the same thing.
Saw a flock of crows causing a small rock slide. They were pulling dead wood off the wall face probably for nest building and the result was about fifty yards of pavement with assorted rocks and gravel strewn about. Had a wood chunk dropped in front of me by a crow. Just one more thing to add to the list of road hazards!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4492659892
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-31-20, 08:30 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Finally some nice warm weather. Short 18 miles down to Bolsa Chica. There was a crazy homeless guy where I usually stop and rest and he was cussing and yelling at everyone so I decided to cut the rest stop a little short and head home. January was a very slow month for me. I don't think I did 100 miles. I hate the cold.
Old 01-31-20, 11:16 PM
ERdept
ERdept

Bikes: Ridley LIZ, yes, a girl's bike!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I rode down Coyote Creek, in La Mirada CA, to the 605 river trail, to Liberty Park and back.
Old 01-31-20, 11:22 PM
ERdept
ERdept

Bikes: Ridley LIZ, yes, a girl's bike!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I rode down Coyote Creek, in La Mirada CA, to the 605 river trail, to Liberty Park and back.
Old 02-01-20, 02:42 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

omg early drive from san diego up to the santa monica mountains. parked in point dume area (more no parking signs than there used to be but i understand residents
are upset with overnight campers/parkers). rode west past zuma beach to yerba buena. bottom half still a grind, not especially scenic and pavement still not the best
but doable on the ascent. once past the cotharin intersection, all fresh pavement which makes it a delighful ascent now. the circle x ranch area used to be wretched
and probably top spot in the socal pantheon of bleep pavement. def not the case now. it's a revelation from cotharin to the residences with an abnormal amount of pine trees area
at the top of little sycamore dr. if you haven't ridden this stretch in either direction since the new pavement got dropped, you should. surprising how scenic it truly
is when you don't have one hand pushing down your water bottles and the other riding the brakes to descent at < 10 mph.

once up yerba buena/little sycamore, descended to the mullholland intersection. sign up saying (still) no thru traffic on mulholland. same sign at intersection of pch/mulholland waay below.
was too lazy to personally investigate if passable by bikes. made a left and headed up to the mully/decker/23 intersection and continued east on mully to kanan dune rd.
a quick left after a short time and started the quickly on you ascent of latigo canyon rd. ton of bikes ascending latigo from the ocean. had a smile on my face the whole time descending latigo.
then a right and back to the car. 40 miles. the gusting winds after 10am made it an easy decision not to fight it and go elsewhere. https://www.strava.com/activities/3059960240

did that quickie ride in the sammos and bounced to escape the notorious west-side la traffic and make the drive home shorter. drove to palos verdes area and mostly just enjoyed the 2nd ride of the day.
gorgeous afternoon on the peninsula and environs. less than 20 miles. https://www.strava.com/activities/3060413071

Last edited by diphthong; 02-01-20 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-01-20, 05:34 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Sore throat today so I skipped on the GMR ride I wanted. So with congestion and a sore throat, I opted for the SART. Rode my old 1998 bike, still love this old bike.

This is one of the regulars out on the trail, man this dude is FAST!

After 3 miles or so, he blasted off and vanished at a rather high rate of speed!

My little ride was decent! For once, not too much wind today.

Old 02-02-20, 05:36 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Another 32 miles today on SART. Windy and with the SuperBore, I think most people stayed home.

We did run into these two youngsters at Edna Park. The dude on the left saw the name on my bike and asked, "ARE YOU 'THE' DUDE?!".

Yeah son, that is me!

Cool guys, did a pretty nice ride today called the Donut Ride. Wow, I need to start eating them kind of donuts ha ha!

Old 02-03-20, 11:07 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

file this one under the "where didn't you ride in southern california today" thread. brought the bike out to palm springs. sunday, of course, was uniformly
gorgeous everywhere in the region. knew that it was supposed to be cold and windy everywhere monday. still brought the bike hoping for a break in the weather or
inaccurate forecast(s). nope. set the alarm for 6:30am today. howling wind and cold. reset the alarm for 7:30am. nope. more howling wind and cold. tried again
for 8:30am. haha loser. gave up and went to late breakfast/early lunch at sherman's deli on tahquitz in palm springs around 11am. of course, the wind was about half of what
it was earlier and it was warmer. some days...

i guess the (non) riding highlights of the day were acquiring intel on the oak glen climb above beaumont from both sides (much tougher from beaumont, way easier from yucaipa but
unimpressed with the scenery/roadscape) that i've never done (and prob won't be), rolling down live oak canyon southbound from the 10 fwy exit to san timoteo (pavement okay for
the most part but i wouldn't want to be texting and riding along it) and a decent stretch along san timoteo westbound all the way into loma linda. a lot of san timoteo was newly repaved
but traffic both sides was fast and fierce on a monday from 2:15pm-2:30pm. have only ridden it before 12:30pm and not looking to change that anytime soon. there is some freeway work
currently at the 10/60 interchange on the edge of beaumont which is likely contributing to traffic on san timoteo.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-04-20 at 01:27 AM. Reason: iphone auto-correct/spelling egregiousnessness
Old 02-04-20, 12:51 AM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I did a "hill climb" up the beach bike path. There were gusts up to 35 MPH directly face-on. I shifted to low and did 7 to 10 MPH for an hour. Then turn around about got back in 20 minutes. I made a personal best at 23 MPH though El Segundo and Manhatten Beach. Normally that speed is suicidal because of all the pedestrians and cruisers but today, not one person there but me on that stretch.

It was fun to see debris floating in front of my bike, then I realize that it is flying 20 MPH in the wind and I'm doing just a little faster. With wind directly at my back, "stuff" seemed to hang in the air and wait for me to catch it.
Old 02-10-20, 09:23 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I rode the Mendenhall Ridge Road from Little T up to Mt Gleason. After attempting and failing this route a few weeks ago I gave it another try.
In my experience of exploring the San Gabriel Mtns area this is the best SoCal gravel/fire road route i have ridden. There are a few snapshots in the link.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/ac...FzT0T8W8U.link
Likes For Bingod:
Old 02-18-20, 11:55 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

lucked into a newish bike lately so did a smallish, maiden voyage 15 mile metro san diego ride with it, making micro handlebar, saddle and seatpost adjustments along the way.
guilty of stopping for lunch at shake shake in little italy along the way. tackled a relatively short 18% grade along the way and immediately determined the cassette range was
better suited for florida riding than california. stopped at the lbs to order a cassette tailored for mountains vs flats.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-19-20 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-04-20, 04:30 PM
CAT7RDR

Just getting back into the swing of things after getting over a cold. Not as bad as I thought it would be after five days off. Did some Turnbull Cyn repeats then completed the Fullerton Rd-East-West Rd corridor and back to Turnbull. Ran into about 12 roadies today. Great sunny day for a ride.

45 miles and 6K ft of climb
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4620041106
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-08-20, 11:06 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Celebrated the return of DST with a nice mid to late afternoon 30-miler that combined some scenic hill climbs with beach town rambling. I even had time to stop and change bikes halfway through just for fun. I love the longer days!
Likes For raceboy:
Old 03-10-20, 10:12 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

got a new old bike frame built up/transferred some components from a cracked frame and today was pick up day. just happened to be raining.
fun! squeezed two 15+ mile local rain rides in dtown/metro san diego on both sides of a 3:30pm-5pm appointment. will try to hit a destination
a little more exciting in the next few days.
Old 03-11-20, 07:35 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
lucked into a newish bike lately so did a smallish, maiden voyage 15 mile metro san diego ride with it, making micro handlebar, saddle and seatpost adjustments along the way.
guilty of stopping for lunch at shake shake in little italy along the way. tackled a relatively short 18% grade along the way and immediately determined the cassette range was
better suited for florida riding than california. stopped at the lbs to order a cassette tailored for mountains vs flats.
What bike and cassette?? You still managed to summit the 18% grade, nice!
Old 03-11-20, 04:17 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by joesch
What bike and cassette?? You still managed to summit the 18% grade, nice!
it’s a 2011 trek 5.2 madone. the cassette felt like a 12-25 or 12-27. everything on the bike was stock. gift from the lady’s employer. he bought the bike waay back when and rode a couple of charity rides. decided he wanted to clean out the garage and hadn’t ridden the bike in years. drive train was still like/clean as new.
estimating it had less than 400 miles on it. rides like a dream. laughs at the bumps I’m used to navigating on an old buzzy 2002 aluminum frame w/carbon seatstays and carbon fork. always hafta double wrap the handlebars for extra shock absorption. the trek is a beautiful bike but not really my style as i’m more of an early 80’s - mid 2000’s frames kinda guy. I.e. just finished getting a 1995 look kg 131 frame built up and rode it last two days. more my jam.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-11-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 06:36 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

40+ miles local metro san diego along with a water taxi ride over to coronado and a ride south down the silver strand and back up the bayshore bikeway through chula vista. a beer stop at third street alehouse on chula vista’s main drag (best beer board in sd county for the last 1.5 years) and also at fall brewing in north park/normal heights on 30th st just to check in. decent march weather. semi-low winds. stretching out and making mini-adjustments to the new bike enroute.
Old 03-12-20, 06:23 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

another rain ride approx 27 miles worth. grabbed some comfort bbq for a late lunch. hit the local metro san diego area again. still dialing the new old bike in. raised the seatpost maybe a quarter-inch and immediately felt more comfy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.