Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Gates "Surefit" sprockets for belt drive bikes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-10-14, 10:58 AM
nyc_commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess this has been around for a while, but I just noticed that Gates now sells a new rear sprocket called "Surefit" that features a new design that makes the sprocket fit flush with the Nexus/Alfine hubs. The biggest (and probably only) problem I've had with my carbon belt drive train is a clicking noise that results from the sprocket not interfacing well with my Nexus hub (there seems to be a small bit of play between the two components). I wasted countless hours trying to chase this noise down only to find later that the answer was already on Gates' FAQ page along with a remedy: wrapping teflon tape around the hub-sprocket interface. The tape method seems to work, but I've found that I have to periodically re-wrap the interface with fresh tape to keep it quiet. Looks like they made this new sprocket specifically to address this issue. Has anyone tried one of these yet?

https://www.carbondrivesystems.com/~/...t-13-03-28.pdf
Old 06-10-14, 12:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Interesting, change , but No, I dont have any bikes with a belt drive at all ..

Rohloff, chain driven, cost enough ..
Old 01-21-20, 06:46 AM
zeluzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SureFit design

I know it's a bit of an archeology, but I was trying to find information about this whole SureFit thing and it looks like it's about a way the sprocket locks on the driver. It doesn't use additional circlip, but instead it's those 3 spider-like lobes which come into a circlip groove. I don't have any experience with it, so can't tell you if they fixed a bad fit issue with these, but, since they still produce standard 3-lobe sprockets, my guess is that it's only about assembly. It'd best to check how a sprocket fits driver while buying a new one, since both hub and sprocket are made with some tolerance regarding dimensions and one can fit better than other. Hope I helped and hello to everyone, since it's my first post here .
Old 01-21-20, 01:27 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
I will say that any two drive elements should NOT have any play between them. The sprocket should lock onto the hub very snuggly. Others have had this problem (see video). For possible solutions, see the comments. One person suggested that you need a different retaining ring. Others suggest that the wiggle is normal but is a design flaw: the steel and aluminum will wear prematurely.

Gates sells a "Surefit Installation Tool". Seams pretty complex... https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/~/m...arch.pdf?la=en

Old 02-14-20, 04:26 AM
zeluzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked through some Gates' documentation and they indeed boast that the fit is better with this new design. They also write that "Note: NMN sprockets are no longer recommended for Shimano and SRAM 3-lobe hubs. Use XMN sprockets for optimal performance." (NMN is the standard, "Sturmey Archer" 3-lobe style sprocket, XMN is Surefit).