Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My InsideRide E-motion Rollers with DIY platform

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My InsideRide E-motion Rollers with DIY platform

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 07:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Looks like a pretty sweet set-up! The rollers and the resistance unit, in particular, aren't as horribly expensive as I would have thought. Do you have a PM on the bike? I'm curious to see how the resistance unit tracks with it.
Old 03-28-18, 10:16 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Looks like a pretty sweet set-up! The rollers and the resistance unit, in particular, aren't as horribly expensive as I would have thought. Do you have a PM on the bike? I'm curious to see how the resistance unit tracks with it.
Thanks! I dont have a PM. Never really felt the need for one, but now that I can see the numbers from Zwift and tend to use those more than anything while training, I may find myself making plans in the future.
Old 03-29-18, 09:42 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Nice.

And no handrail too.
Old 03-29-18, 11:54 AM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I just put casters on my cheap roller set. No anchor, no box. If you're on a flat floor, you won't go anywhere. The rollers sit just a mm or two lower than the frame's feet, so I can make it stationary or add friction if I want too. The wheels aren't friction-free,so the setup doesn't wander. It makes it about 25% easier to ride the rollers and only moves 1/4" back and forth on hardwood. $2 wheel x 6 + $10 in bolts- $22 and an hour of work all in.

My drill/mounting job was pretty ghetto, so no pics of it in motion.
Old 01-19-20, 04:28 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I am interested to know why you gave up on the TACX Galaxia rollers? I made my own freemotion cradle but I have my eyes on the Galaxias. Only drawback is the lack of resistance and I am sure they are not as smooth as my Kreitlers.
Old 01-22-20, 10:44 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Those are the best smart rollers you can get. The smart control unit has been updated since this post. As far as calibration, there are a few options:

1. Pair your power meter to the rollers and then pair your rollers to zwift. Your power meter would be sending power values through the rollers.
2. Pair your power meter directly to zwift and only pair roller control to zwift (because you will be using your power meter and not the rollers power estimatation). Pairing roller control allows zwift to adjust resistance.
3. Calibrate your rollers RRS by pairing your power meter and doing a short ride. Once calibrated, your RRS value will be saved by the rollers and you would use your rollers calibrated power on zwift. Beneficial if you have a trainer bike that does not have a power meter on it.
4. Calibrate your rollers manually by adjusting RRS values through the app.

No trainer warmup and no spindown required.

This setup will give you the most realistic indoor riding experience on Zwift. Really riding your bike vs. artificiality of being locked in stationary.

OP great platform build!

Last edited by jadocs; 01-22-20 at 10:50 AM.