Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Full suspension bike with mudguards

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-17-20, 07:10 AM
Dani3lG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Am I the only one to think that a decent bike is a bike with full suspension equipped with mudguards?
I was not able to find a full-suspension non-electric trekking/MTB bike with mudguards.
Does anyone know of a full-suspension non-electric trekking/MTB bike with mudguards for under 2000€ or should I open a new bike company myself to design and manufacture one? Hundreds upon hundreds of bycicle models, but all fall short of what is ideal.
Thanks!

Here some e-MTB I could find, but they are overpriced:
  • FOCUS THRON² 6.7 EQP
  • CUBE Stereo Hybrid 120 Race 625 Allroad 29 black´n´blue
  • FLYER Goroc4
Old 01-17-20, 10:46 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Add the mudguards yourself.

Here is one version, I think this is specific to 26 inch wheels but I think that they also make a version for 700c wheels. That is something you should check yourself.
https://www.bike24.com/p222346.html

Instructions.
https://www.bike24.com/data/28791.pdf

I bought them and unfortunately, they did not work well with my rim brake mounts so I could not use them. But otherwise they looked good. There is a small piece screwed onto them that you want to switch to the other end for the front if I recall correctly.
Old 01-17-20, 11:32 AM
Dani3lG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Add the mudguards yourself.
Here is one version, I think this is specific to 26 inch wheels but I think that they also make a version for 700c wheels. That is something you should check yourself.
The rear one is evidently short and will not offer much protection.
Old 01-22-20, 10:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Ehh I wouldn't really want to do much touring on a full suspension bike. I certainly wouldn't want massive full coverage fenders because they just wouldn't be very safe for mountain biking and would probably get clogged up easily or get something caught in them and break or cause you to stop suddenly. If I am mountain biking I am ok getting a little dirty that is part of the fun but might get some smaller stuff to keep some stuff of my face at least.

If I needed fenders/mudguards really badly I would just add them myself, there are plenty of companies doing fenders for mountain bikes that clip on in some fashion.
Old 01-23-20, 06:33 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Dani3lG
Am I the only one to think that a decent bike is a bike with full suspension equipped with mudguards?
yes.

For touring and regular riding, non mountain biking, full suspension is not needed.
Old 01-23-20, 07:30 AM
tombakerim

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
First of all, on my Simplex I changed the chain to the timing belt and, accordingly, the cassette to the planet. I do not like chains, for rudeness, dirt, service.
There were unexpected difficulties with the belt. The belt, unlike the chain, is not removable. And usually a bike with a belt either has a cantilever wheel or a split frame.
I circumvented these features with a cunning belt reserve
Old 01-23-20, 07:54 AM
djb

Originally Posted by tombakerim
First of all, on my Simplex I changed the chain to the timing belt and, accordingly, the cassette to the planet. I do not like chains, for rudeness, dirt, service.
There were unexpected difficulties with the belt. The belt, unlike the chain, is not removable. And usually a bike with a belt either has a cantilever wheel or a split frame.
I circumvented these features with a cunning belt reserve
my chains were brought up properly and therefore not rude.
and since I changed to an electronic distributor from mechanical points, my timing belt no longer gives me grief.
Old 01-23-20, 12:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
yes.

For touring and regular riding, non mountain biking, full suspension is not needed.
While I agree, a full suspension bike really opens up territory for mountain biking and off-road touring. When the road looks like this

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

a rigid frame and narrow tires just don’t cut it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-23-20, 12:58 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by djb
my chains were brought up properly and therefore not rude. ....
You sound like treat your bike as if you are a good parent that is raising very polite children.

I agree with the others that feel you do not need full suspension for touring, but in some of the campgrounds that I was camping at I saw some bikepacking setups on full suspension bikes. Thus, it depends on what you call touring.
Old 01-23-20, 01:39 PM
djb

youi guys know Im just goofing around, responding to the original question by a newcomer about a "decent bike being one with full suspension" in the touring section, and then responding to Dr Who with a long scarf's comments about not liking rude chains and timing belts...
Old 01-23-20, 07:07 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by djb
youi guys know Im just goofing around, responding to the original question by a newcomer about a "decent bike being one with full suspension" in the touring section, and then responding to Dr Who with a long scarf's comments about not liking rude chains and timing belts...
I could not pass up the opportunity.

I started to comment on the timing belt/chain and distributor comment, then deleted it. So, to re-iterate some of it, my vintage 500ml Triumphs had no timing belt or chain, cam gears were directly off the crank, pushrods.
Old 01-29-20, 02:55 AM
Dani3lG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post #3
Old 01-29-20, 03:00 AM
Dani3lG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post #4
Old 01-29-20, 03:02 AM
Dani3lG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post #5
Old 01-29-20, 03:04 AM
Dani3lG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post #6
Old 01-29-20, 03:06 AM
Dani3lG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post #7
Old 01-29-20, 03:10 AM
Dani3lG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I finally managed to find some good mudguards: Zefal Deflector RM29 for the rear, made for 27.5" and 29" wheels, but perfect for my 26" wheels, which shows that this model is short for bigger wheels, a typical issue for MTB mudguards, which actually shows how much thought the engineers put into designing them, and the Zefal No Mud for the front.

Old 01-29-20, 04:53 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Me, I just use 2.5" tyres and a suspension seat post. If it's rough, some air comes out of the tyres. That way I can a decent amount of stuff on racks to tour for weeks on end.
Old 01-29-20, 08:05 AM
djb

dan , if you ever want more front coverage, less spray up in your face, sks still makes a newer version of this, that mounts into the bottom open part of a front suspension.
It wasnt clear that you already had a bike.
Old 01-29-20, 09:37 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
For the front suspension I just hose clamped a regular fender in place on the lower stanchions:

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-29-20 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-29-20, 11:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
dan , if you ever want more front coverage, less spray up in your face, sks still makes a newer version of this, that mounts into the bottom open part of a front suspension.
It wasnt clear that you already had a bike.
The advantage of the SKS ShockBlades is that they are very far away from the tire. Since the fender is flexible, any impact can cause fenders to bounce. If the fender is too close to the tire, it can catch on the tire and either be ripped off or jammed into the fork. I'd suggest to Dani3lG that the fenders in the pictures above be moved up to avoid the bounce problem.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!