Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to swap three speed shifters without removing the cable?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 03:13 PM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello

I have a modern sturmey archer three speed shifter set up on a Raleigh twenty, and I’ve finally found a replacement from around the time the bike was originally made. Is there a way I can leave the cable attached to the indicator chain and swap shifters, or do all methods of swapping shifters involve loosening the cable where it attaches to the indicator chain and taking out the cable, then loosening the shifter etc. If there’s an easier/quicker method and please attach detailed instructions or a video. I know either way I’ll have to slide off my grips and brake levers so I’m prepared for a good fifteen to thirty minutes in the shed as it is. Thanks!
Old 01-23-20, 03:50 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Well, you are probably going to have to adjust the shifter indexing anyway, so how much time are you saving trying to work around loosening/removing it?
Old 01-23-20, 07:08 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Unless you have an adjusting barrel (that will permit enough slack) somewhere between the trigger and the indicator chain, you'll need to undo things to make the swap.

Here's one on my Condor 3-speed but you would not be able to gain slack in this one so I'd have to undo things also for a similar project.
Old 01-23-20, 07:53 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Switching to a classic style shifter requires an entirely different cable anyway so your answer is no.