Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking for a "crazy" suggestion!!!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 11:36 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

We have an upcoming tour where when we get into Portsmouth we are about 15 minutes walk from our Airbnb. Our bike boxes will probably not fit in our hosts vehicle. So....
My "crazy" idea is some type of rolling cart that I can roll 2 bike boxes to her home!
So I would appreciate your creative input!
Thanks!!
Old 01-24-20, 11:42 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
there was a thread on this topic just a couple months ago.

a couple plywood plates with luggage wheels you can clamp onto the bottom of the box, with a rope to pull it along.
enjoy the walk.
Old 01-24-20, 11:43 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
UberVan or UberXL. (crazy!)
Old 01-24-20, 12:03 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
I have wheeled a single bike down the street using a standard hand truck without too much difficulty.

For example, when I got to Panama City, I had a bike shop box my bicycle for travel. I then had to pick up that boxed bike to bring it back to my hotel, 2.4km away (1.5 miles) - so I borrowed a hand truck from the hotel. One of the hand truck tires went flat and some of the curbs on sidewalks were obnoxious, but otherwise it wasn't too difficult. If not difficult for your hosts to borrow a hand truck and route isn't treacherous that might work. Alternately, there are also foldable versions of hand trucks (https://www.amazon.com/Magna-Persona.../dp/B000HVVSDU), though likely more flimsy than standard hand truck.

Alternately if it isn't too difficult, then I've also carried my bike box down the street. For example, in Amsterdam I took public transit to close to my destination and then carried my box down the street the last bits.
Old 01-24-20, 12:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Portsmouth, where?
how are you going to transport the rolling cart?
why not call a taxi that can provide a van?
​​​​​​​why not assemble the bike & ride it?
do they have a bike lane for you & your bike boxes? are there sidewalks the whole way?
perhaps your host has an idea & perhaps their vehicle can transport your bike boxes, have you asked them? maybe they have a p/u truck
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-24-20, 01:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
You did not say if you were arriving by air, train, bus, or something else. When I rode the Glacier Waterton Loop, I arrived at the Whitefish Amtrak station at 1am. Asked Amtrak if I could leave my bike and some of my luggage there and pick it up the next day. They said yes. I walked the 1.5 mile to my motel, and the next morning after breakfast walked over to Amtrak, unboxed my bike, packed up my panniers and rode off.
Old 01-24-20, 01:59 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

We fly to Heathrow then a bus to Portsmouth. I have never used Uber but maybe that would be a solution. I will also ask our Airbnb host for ideas.
We did this2 years ago and used plastic bags for our bikes as we were ending our tour in Copenhagen. This time in and out of Heathrow via Portsmouth so we will be using boxes.
Old 01-24-20, 02:07 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Heathrow
oh the UK! Fun! jealous!
Old 01-24-20, 02:31 PM
Tandem Tom

Actually the only riding will be to the port to take ferry to France!
Old 01-24-20, 05:23 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
If in US, I might think of renting a pick-up truck from HomeDepot. Does England have an equivalent. Failing that, calling around to local: cycling stores; cycling clubs; moving companies.
Good luck
Old 01-24-20, 07:51 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
There are many ways to solve this problem. As another poster noted, there are foldable lightweight handtrucks that would probably do the trick; buy two and bring them with you. Or, if the walk is as short as you suggest: ask your host to meet you at the airport and give him/her all the other bags to carry home in their car. Then, cut or fashion handholds on the bike boxes and one of you take the front end of each box, and the other take the back end of each box and walk to your AirBnB. Or build the bikes at the airport and ride them to the AirBnB after packing your other luggage and the flattened bike boxes into your host's car. Or use UberXL or a taxi service which has a van.

We spent last summer cycling in France and we have fallen in love with the country, have fun!
Old 01-25-20, 06:53 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
there was a thread on this topic just a couple months ago.

a couple plywood plates with luggage wheels you can clamp onto the bottom of the box, with a rope to pull it along.enjoy the walk.
Skateboard trucks with the wheels. I used to use this idea when whitewater kayaking at East Race Waterway in South Bend, IN. It was nice uphill walk back to the put in of the park and I would wheel the kayak back up. The wheels tucked into the kayak for the paddle back down. Nothing fancy just operational.

I would have the agree though, depending on what time you will be arriving in town, why not assemble bike then ride to the bnb.
Old 01-25-20, 07:25 AM
Tandem Tom

I like the skate board wheel idea! The reason for not assembling the bikes is the challenge to carry the box.
We are using ebike boxes as there are wider and sturdier. I am able to go bigger because of Iceland air generous baggage size.
I go a bit overboard with box prep. I actually use polyurethane on the exterior to protect from rain so if it is sitting on the runway during a storm the box is protected. As we are flying via Iceland this is quite common. Also I use cheap nylon webbing and buckles so TSA diesn destroy the box.
Preparation is part of the fun!!
Old 01-25-20, 07:39 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I like the skate board wheel idea! The reason for not assembling the bikes is the challenge to carry the box.
We are using ebike boxes as there are wider and sturdier. I am able to go bigger because of Iceland air generous baggage size.
I go a bit overboard with box prep. I actually use polyurethane on the exterior to protect from rain so if it is sitting on the runway during a storm the box is protected. As we are flying via Iceland this is quite common. Also I use cheap nylon webbing and buckles so TSA diesn destroy the box.
Preparation is part of the fun!!
Done wheels on plates many times, make sure you use good wheels so they can take the abuse! I'm working on boxes for Japan today, need to do a few buses and trains. I use fancy aluminium plates now. You can also easily carry folded boxes on your rack, untape them and then fold flat, on the rack hanging over the back with a good elastic strap, looks weird but works! Once you fold them back out and retape with good tape they get around 90% of their strength back.
Old 01-25-20, 07:52 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
I've put bike boxes in cars and suvs a number of times, but if your boxes are larger, this may be tricky for Brit vans, as cars tend to be smaller.
but for such a short drive, there has to be a vehicle option. Giving box dimensions to a bike shop, perhaps they will know someone happy top pick up x quid for an easy pick up and drop off....
I did this in Mexico, bike shop guys took me and box to airport at reasonable price.
Old 01-27-20, 09:36 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Most UK cars will not be able to take 2 x bike boxes. Some should be able to cope with one. My car most definitely cannot fit a single bike box. Unless the taxi company has a Ford Galaxy or similar, you might have an issue. Most mid to extra long wheel base vans will fit 2 x bike boxes. Have you checked with the coach company to see if you can take bikes onto the coach? Some have rules specifically banning bicycles.
Old 01-28-20, 07:09 AM
Tandem Tom

The bus company, National Express, does take bikes as long as they are bagged or boxed. My idea now seems to make up 2 light weight dollies with skate board wheel.
Planning is part of the adventure!
Old 01-28-20, 07:48 AM
djb

The bus company, National Express, does take bikes as long as they are bagged or boxed. My idea now seems to make up 2 light weight dollies with skate board wheel.
Planning is part of the adventure!
if it keeps you out of the pool halls young feller, then its all good ;-)
given its such a short distance, even if one larger taxi van thingee did the trip twice, it would all be over in 10 mins if its really a 15 min walk, and probably cost a tenner or something....
Everyone is different, but after a trans Atlantic flight, the last thing I'd want to be doing is fighting with a bike box, my panniers that were luggage, and all of this periodically falling off a skateboard whatsit every time it hits a crack......and heck, it could be raining!
Old 01-29-20, 12:43 PM
Tandem Tom

Problem solved! I just heard back from the Airbnb host and she will be able to make 2 trips and get us squared away!
Sometimes I try to solve a perceived solution.
Old 01-29-20, 01:37 PM
djb

Well there you go, there's always a solution.
nice to know it's sorted.
Old 01-29-20, 07:22 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Also I use cheap nylon webbing and buckles so TSA diesn destroy the box.
Haha. Well it's always good to be optimistic. : P
Old 02-15-20, 08:38 AM
reynoldsarts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Luck