Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rene Herse catalogues collection with Daniel Rebour drawings scanned

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rene Herse catalogues collection with Daniel Rebour drawings scanned

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 01:54 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
Wonderful to have these! I downloaded a few of the interesting full bike prints from the catalog and am having them printed on matte photo paper (5X8 inches did the trick) so I can frame and hang them in my house.
Old 01-24-20, 02:37 PM
HeikoS69

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
Wonderful to have these! I downloaded a few of the interesting full bike prints from the catalog and am having them printed on matte photo paper (5X8 inches did the trick) so I can frame and hang them in my house.
Thanks! It makes me happy to hear that. It means quality is good enough for such purposes.

I nowhere mentioned that the files where uploaded for private use only. I thought that went without saying.

Last edited by HeikoS69; 02-16-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-24-20, 02:58 PM
HeikoS69

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori
Herse's name appears much more frequently if you omit "Rene" and only search for "Herse" in L'Auto. It's actually quite interesting to see how frequently Herse is mentioned by other companies. Sometimes you can find things like mentions of Rene Andre riding for Herse before he set up his own shop, or mentions of Herse himself when he rode for Narcisse.
Yes, it's fun to surf around on l'Auto from that years and trying different search terms. In case you want to find Herse ads only, try "specialites herse" in quotation marks. Most of them look like small newspaper articles...
Many (most, all?) articles on subjects like technical trials or Poly de Chanteloup where written by Claude Tillet, the founder of "Le Cycle" in Sept. 1945. And Herse had an excellent reputation as a bicycle component maker already in 1939. When I remember it correctly, Tillet wrote in 1939 about Herse as the best of his profession.

Last edited by HeikoS69; 02-16-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-24-20, 11:09 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
These are amazing. Thank you for this hard work! Obviously a labor of love.
Old 01-25-20, 08:40 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Invaluable. This type of information should be preserved for the coming generations. Thank you.

I've noticed this misconception as well. Although some constructeurs used the 650B wheel size on bikes designed to be fast randonneuses, there seemed to be a preference for 700C for any type of "fast" bike through the decades, even during the "Golden Age". The demi-balloon 650B tire was mostly utilized on city bikes, utility bikes, and camping bikes when it came to production bicycles.
the scans are a terrific resource.

regarding 3/10 tubing- I have tested one with and it was more flexible but not crazy, yes when riding up the club ride “wall” it was drive train noise inducing. My normal ride at the time was 7/10 tubing. The weight saving was noticeable post ride.
I would think that Herse would select what tubing would be considered best based on the client’s weight, riding style, etc.

In the 70’s 650b tire size was really scarce and limited in the USA , Michelin could be imported, there was one that was reasonably lightweight, only allowing a tire driven dynamo with a rubber cap. Today, there are more choices at least to the general consumer.
Old 01-27-20, 11:11 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
The downtubes we got from Reynolds were 30 mm and double-butted. It was my understanding at the time that the Taylors also used that DT, though I don't remember if I measured the DT on a Taylor -- anyone here know? I thought I heard that Singer, Herse et al. used 30 mm DTs also, but I don't remember where I heard that, so don't believe it unless we get corroboration.

Mark B in Seattle
I may be the only one who can corroborate and compare in the comfort of my own apartment! I finally got a chance to measure the downtubes (and some other tubes, just for curiosity's sake!) of my '59 Taylor and my '46 Herse tandems. It is worth noting that the Herse came with Vitus decals on the forkblades and seat tubes, while the Taylor had remnants of Reynolds decals, particularly on the boom tube.

Right then, here are some measurements.
Downtube:
Herse: 30mm
Taylor: 32mm or 1.25"

Seat tube:
Herse: 28.0mm
Taylor: 28.6mm

Boom tube:
Herse: 50mm x 25mm
Taylor: 50.8 (2") x 22.8 (this dimension was hard to measure with all the cables and chains in the way and didn't want to scratch what remains of the paint.)

For what that's worth. Sorry it took me so long to get this. I do wonder if Herse put Vitus stickers on even if the tandem was a mix of tubings - although this bike was made very shortly after the war so it might not be a particularly representative example.
Old 01-27-20, 04:01 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I may be the only one who can corroborate and compare in the comfort of my own apartment! I finally got a chance to measure the downtubes (and some other tubes, just for curiosity's sake!) of my '59 Taylor and my '46 Herse tandems.
I hope it's a big apartment! That's so cool to have those two bikes for easy reference.

Both have 28 mm steerers I presume? Stronglight headsets, or mystery unbranded headsets?

Thanks for the measurements, very interesting.

Mark B
Old 01-28-20, 09:02 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I hope it's a big apartment! That's so cool to have those two bikes for easy reference.
Ha! It is tiny. The bikes are in the basement, which is unfortunately shared with some no-good neighbors who think they know about bikes because they have singlespeed conversions, but actually have no idea who or what they're dealing with and refuse to even speak to me in person, calling me abusive because I once repaired a canoe in the back yard . At least they haven't tried to get me evicted for brazing on the property. I try to do that when they're not home. I hope to move when I finish my Ph.D.
I do worry for the bikes occasionally, but I refuse to put my dreams of constructeur bikes on hold until "someday" when I have a better place.

Both have 28 mm steerers I presume? Stronglight headsets, or mystery unbranded headsets?

Thanks for the measurements, very interesting.

Mark B
Both headsets have some Stronglight branded parts top and bottom, but not every component says Stronglight, although they do work together so they probably are all Stronglight.

The Herse has the tapered steerer. It tapers from 28mm down to either 25.0 or 25.4 (forgot to measure until I was back upstairs writing this post) thread. It's got a section of tube brazed in there, which appears to be 22.2, but is out of round so hard to tell. The stem clamps onto this tube.

The Taylor takes a standard 22.2mm stem quill, but I've never had its headset apart to see what's going on inside. The bottom cup of the Taylor headset and the bottom cup of the Herse headset appear identical or nearly so, in dimensions and appearance. The top cup of the Taylor headset is larger than the top cup of the Herse headset, so possibly the steerer is the same diameter throughout.

Last edited by scarlson; 01-28-20 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-28-20, 05:24 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,076 Posts
Both headsets have some Stronglight branded parts top and bottom, but not every component says Stronglight, although they do work together so they probably are all Stronglight.

The Herse has the tapered steerer. It tapers from 28mm down to either 25.0 or 25.4 (forgot to measure until I was back upstairs writing this post) thread. It's got a section of tube brazed in there, which appears to be 22.2, but is out of round so hard to tell. The stem clamps onto this tube.

The Taylor takes a standard 22.2mm stem quill, but I've never had its headset apart to see what's going on inside. The bottom cup of the Taylor headset and the bottom cup of the Herse headset appear identical or nearly so, in dimensions and appearance. The top cup of the Taylor headset is larger than the top cup of the Herse headset, so possibly the steerer is the same diameter throughout.
Yeah the JT steerer (if it's like every other JT steerer I've seen) is plain gauge (unbutted). Plenty strong at the bottom with a 3 mm wall, as well as being "oversized", but that means they are a bit on the "ridiculously strong" side at the top -- same 3 mm wall. Thus the desire by people like Herse to taper it towards the top, for light weight. Easier parts availability for the top headset parts is a secondary advantage, but not really all that advantageous since it's bottom races that tend to wear out first.

I know you (@scarlson) know this, but for anyone else with a Stronglight 28 mm tandem headset -- take care of it! They're very hard to find, and much higher quality than the Bardon that folks were forced to use after the Stronglight supply dried up. Even if your Stronglight develops divots from wear, don't throw it out, get it re-ground. I have heard they are through-hardened, though I don't have any reference for that, might be internet lore. But I expect even a reground Stronglight is better than a Bardon. I've heard Mel Pinto Imports still has 28 mm headsets, but I don't know what brand. Maybe they're high-quality and all my worrying is for nothing...

Mark B
Old 01-28-20, 07:14 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
regarding 3/10 tubing- I have tested one with and it was more flexible but not crazy, yes when riding up the club ride “wall” it was drive train noise inducing. My normal ride at the time was 7/10 tubing. The weight saving was noticeable post ride.
I would think that Herse would select what tubing would be considered best based on the client’s weight, riding style, etc.
Out of curiosity, what kind of bikes and what size were they?

I may be the only one who can corroborate and compare in the comfort of my own apartment! I finally got a chance to measure the downtubes (and some other tubes, just for curiosity's sake!) of my '59 Taylor and my '46 Herse tandems. It is worth noting that the Herse came with Vitus decals on the forkblades and seat tubes, while the Taylor had remnants of Reynolds decals, particularly on the boom tube.

Right then, here are some measurements.
Downtube:
Herse: 30mm
Taylor: 32mm or 1.25"

Seat tube:
Herse: 28.0mm
Taylor: 28.6mm

Boom tube:
Herse: 50mm x 25mm
Taylor: 50.8 (2") x 22.8 (this dimension was hard to measure with all the cables and chains in the way and didn't want to scratch what remains of the paint.)

For what that's worth. Sorry it took me so long to get this. I do wonder if Herse put Vitus stickers on even if the tandem was a mix of tubings - although this bike was made very shortly after the war so it might not be a particularly representative example.
Vitus was claiming a number of Herse tandem victories, and a little extra stiffness never hurt on a tandem, so I'm not sure if there was any particular need to mix tubes. Early French Reynolds seems to be simply trying to get lighter gauges than the competition, which is why you get the rather odd selection of 9/5/9 or 7/5/7 tubes both with 5/10 centers. It's also worth noting that Vitus tends to have considerably longer centers than Reynolds, so it's lighter and flexier than one would expect from just comparing wall thickness, 360/380mm vs 280mm.

The Taylor dimensions match up with the 40's Reynolds tandem tubing, with the boom being an ovalized 1 1/2" tube.

In reference to oversize tandem tubes on single bikes, it's interesting to note that a "single oversize" French tube at 30mm is equivalent to an imperial "half oversize" 1 3/16 tube. An Imperial "single oversize" tube at 1 1/4 is closer to a French "double oversize" tube at 32mm.
Old 01-28-20, 09:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Thank you for making these available, @HeikoS69! They were preserved and scanned perfectly.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-22-20, 12:00 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
Thanks again, HeikoS69!
I recently framed a few of my favorite bikes from the catalogs.
Likes For bear_a_bug: