Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

To clutch or not to clutch, that is the question.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

To clutch or not to clutch, that is the question.

Old 01-06-20, 12:57 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Under what conditions is the chain dropping, can you tell if its off the top or bottom of the chainring and to the inside or outside?
Actually, I think I'm starting to narrow it down. This RD (just like most RDs) doesn't love getting into and out of the 11t cog. If I get just the correct combination of the rd hesitating to get into the 11t, stop pedalling, and just the right lack of chain tension, it comes off the outside of the chainring. All that seems to have to happen very quickly and at just the right timing. but it never fails to happens right when I'm trying to do a hard effort (hence the 11T) and I get left in the dust with greasy fingers. It really burns me up.
Old 01-06-20, 01:12 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I've had the momentum issue with 11-36 and 11-40 cassettes. My understanding is that the chain derails off the top of the chainring when it loses tension and that is what causes the chain to drop when you resume pedalling. A clutch doesn't necessarily stop that, at least that was the case with aqua blue and trek segafredo
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/24...-talking-about
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mec...wqxSLzfq6QCZtk
Sounds like that orbit technology on the road AXS isn't up to task.

I use a Wolftooth drop stop chainring and a clutched derailleur and have yet to drop a chain on my Diverge.
Old 01-06-20, 01:13 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by shoota
Actually, I think I'm starting to narrow it down. This RD (just like most RDs) doesn't love getting into and out of the 11t cog. If I get just the correct combination of the rd hesitating to get into the 11t, stop pedalling, and just the right lack of chain tension, it comes off the outside of the chainring. All that seems to have to happen very quickly and at just the right timing. but it never fails to happens right when I'm trying to do a hard effort (hence the 11T) and I get left in the dust with greasy fingers. It really burns me up.
What chainring are you using? Is your chainline correct?
Old 01-06-20, 01:17 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Bryan C.
What chainring are you using? Is your chainline correct?
42T Oval Wolftooth on a Dura-Ace 9000 crank. Don't know about the chainline, I just installed as it seems it should go on. I'm not sure how you would adjust the chainline on this crank?
Old 01-06-20, 01:28 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by shoota
42T Oval Wolftooth on a Dura-Ace 9000 crank. Don't know about the chainline, I just installed as it seems it should go on. I'm not sure how you would adjust the chainline on this crank?
From what you describe it may be a chainline issue. Shift the rear derailleur to your centermost cog on the cassette and see if the chain is straight. Most shimano cranksets you can add/remove spacers on the drive side of the bottom bracket.
Old 01-06-20, 01:36 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Bryan C.
From what you describe it may be a chainline issue. Shift the rear derailleur to your centermost cog on the cassette and see if the chain is straight. Most shimano cranksets you can add/remove spacers on the drive side of the bottom bracket.
Ok cool, I'll check when I get home. Thx
Old 01-07-20, 10:08 PM
Duende108

Bikes: Mosaic GT-1, Waterford SR-33, Ciocc San Cristobal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting to the question posed on this thread... to clutch or not to clutch.

Sounds like the answer is:

clutch is sometimes necessary for 1x and big cigs in the back (49 tooth plus)

but for 2x and smaller rear cogs (36 tooth etc) it’s not completely necessary.

FWIW, I run 50/34 up front and 12-34 in the rear. Minimal chain slap, and never drop my chain (knock on wood). So it’s a non-issue for me with my current rig.
Old 01-07-20, 11:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
2X and 3X have front derailleurs, which help to keep the chain from coming off. The decrease in chain-slap is a nice side-effect, but the main purpose is to keep the chain from coming off the front 1X ring, especially on the lower gear shifts.
Old 01-08-20, 10:46 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
To clutch or not to clutch? Even the manufacturers acknowledge that the clutch, when engaged, causes drag on the drivetrain. It is noticeable.

I have a clutch rd on my gravel bike, but I never use it on roads and "civilized" gravel. I only engage it when I expect drops or major craters in the gravel. Back before clutch-bearing road rd's existed, I never ever dropped a chain on gravel -- even the gnarliest gravel. My only chain drop ever was in a road race when I shifted the fd while going across a railroad crossing. (Pilot error -- bad timing.)

If I couldn't disengage the clutch? I wouldn't have a clutch-style rd.
Old 01-08-20, 06:25 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
FWIW, I did a spring clean on my bike and also addressed the high drag on my clutch today.

The clutch is under a plate held on by 3 little screws. I removed it and there is a tiny nut that is clearly for the tension of the spring. I backed it out just a little bit with needle nose pliers. After reassembly, I can't tell the difference in drag from ON to OFF.

I guess it's possible that I could experience a little more movement in the on position now, but I messed with it on the stand for a while, I think it's great.

So for Shimano Shadow stuff, lesson learned. They're really easy to adjust.
Likes For rosefarts: