Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Nicasio vs Jamis Renegade Explat

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 09:45 AM
EatBikeSail

Bikes: 80's Univega Sportour; Gravel Bike TBD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking at buying a new bike. Am presently looking at the Nicasio (not the plus - staying 700c) and the Jamis Renegade Explat.

I like the feel of Steel Frames over Aluminum. Want drops bars. Will be using it for day rides and possibly short bikecamping trips on rail trails such as the C&O. Need it to be good on gravel and paved trails.

Your thoughts and recommendations? Other suggestions also welcome - just keep in mind that the Renegade is at the top of my budget.

THX!
Old 01-21-20, 12:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
To help clarify which models you are considering, are these correct? There are 3 Nicasio models besides the + model.
Jamis Renegade Expat for $1200- https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeexpat.html
Marin Nicasio 1 for $800- https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-nicasio-1

If you are deciding only between these two bikes, the Jamis is nicer/better by far. Its also costs 50% more, so it should be much nicer/better.
The Jamis has higher level shifting(Tiagra vs Claris), higher level brakes(Spyre vs Promax Render), lighter fork(full carbon vs cromo), better crankset(gossamer vs tempo), wider range gearing, more tire clearance, better tires, and better wheels.

Also, the tire clearance is confusing on the Marin Nicasio. The website claims it fits 30mm-40mm tires, then it claims clearance up to 35mm, and the Nicasio 2 which is also steel comes stock with 37mm tires. Thats pretty confusing and conflicting.

This is totally independent of geometry which really should be a large part of considering bikes.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-21-20, 12:24 PM
EatBikeSail

Bikes: 80's Univega Sportour; Gravel Bike TBD

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
To help clarify which models you are considering, are these correct? There are 3 Nicasio models besides the + model.
Jamis Renegade Expat for $1200-
Marin Nicasio 1 for $800

If you are deciding only between these two bikes, the Jamis is nicer/better by far....

This is totally independent of geometry which really should be a large part of considering bikes.
Yes those are the bikes...

I've test driven the Renegade and like how it feels. Have not had a chance to test drive the Nicasio yet. as the shop did not have one in stock yet - coming in about 2 weeks. I'm also open to any other suggestions that I should look at. Whatever I buy, I'll be keeping for quite some time so I'm willing to pay the upper price if it's worth the extra $s.
Old 01-22-20, 09:51 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Haven’t ridden the Niasco but I absolutely love my Jamis Renegade Exploit. Steel frame and Carbon fork are fantastic.
Old 01-23-20, 09:04 AM
WORLDSPORT

Bikes: schwinn worlsport trek 7.3 fx

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Jamis Expat LTD. has become my favorite ride. The steel frame and carbon fork are great on the gravel roads, and the Tiagra group shifts really nice.
Old 01-29-20, 06:36 PM
CainV

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My impression with the Nicasio isn't very good (used it for commute for several months). Yes it's steel frame, but a quite heavy one and I didn't feel the "liveliness" that a good steel frame can give you. The frame has IS disc brake mounts and QR axle, which by today's gravel bike standard is quite outdated (not sure if they will change those in newer models). Stock wheels are very heavy (seem sturdy though). I bought mine for $500 on sale which I think is a fair price for what you get.
And the welds...ugh!
Old 02-03-20, 10:51 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by WORLDSPORT
My Jamis Expat LTD. has become my favorite ride. The steel frame and carbon fork are great on the gravel roads, and the Tiagra group shifts really nice.
+3 Renegade all teh way!