Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'93 Terry Solstice Rebuild

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 04:57 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

I bought a Terry Solstice mountain bike which has never been properly maintained or used. But it does have that groovy fork for a 24" wheel. I'm 5'3" so that matters. Would you give me advice on which components to buy to replace the originals? Only the BB remains. I plan to powder coat the frame this year, and plan to get to the rest as I have money.
My rides for this bike will range from beginner gravel grinding, to 150 miles on a bike path, to the sharp, steep hills of southern Ohio. Comfort and reliability will be important on this bike.
The guys at the bike coop are very willing to help me learn how to maintain and rebuild a bike, but I would appreciate exactly what to buy to install. BTW, the bar stem is a one piece unit with no means to adjust the bars. Can I replace it with something from Nitto? Bar end shifters are OK.
Old 02-26-20, 05:08 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Congrats on getting a Terry bike. Is this just a frame and bottom bracket then? Are you missing wheels, cranks, brakes and derailleur?

It sounds like you have handlebars but are looking for something more adjustable.

Is this a mountain bike or a hybrid? What size is the rear wheel? Is it 700C on this bike? I tried to quickly find pic's of a Terry Solstice but didn't find a good picture.

Perhaps you can post a picture of what you have.
Old 02-27-20, 01:09 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by BadGrandma
I bought a Terry Solstice mountain bike which has never been properly maintained or used. But it does have that groovy fork for a 24" wheel. I'm 5'3" so that matters. Would you give me advice on which components to buy to replace the originals? Only the BB remains. I plan to powder coat the frame this year, and plan to get to the rest as I have money.
My rides for this bike will range from beginner gravel grinding, to 150 miles on a bike path, to the sharp, steep hills of southern Ohio. Comfort and reliability will be important on this bike.
The guys at the bike coop are very willing to help me learn how to maintain and rebuild a bike, but I would appreciate exactly what to buy to install. BTW, the bar stem is a one piece unit with no means to adjust the bars. Can I replace it with something from Nitto? Bar end shifters are OK.
If you have a Terry, I have a Terry clamp-on tennis racket holder for the fork. It is yours for mailing cost - let me know.
Old 02-27-20, 01:21 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Pics please! I am unaware of what those frames look like. Specifics like what size steerer, what kind of brazeons, and how well it fits you will determine recommendations. One question: Are you looking to go drop bar or are you looking to do more of a modern flat bar with aero bar setup that some of the long distance gravel folks are using? That will determine shifter recommendations.
Old 02-27-20, 02:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Ooh, that's likely to be cool. It would be good if you can find some original info. Handlebars can be easily cut to whatever length you want (within reason). Full wheels available are likely to be kind of cheap for kid bikes, and more premium will be for disk brake, so I wonder what you could do for a midrange option. I wonder what the crank length is or the rear hub spacing. I'd set it up "normal" with EZ-fires and V-brakes. I would not go 1x unless it's 135 spaced.

When you say the handlebar and stem can't be adjusted, is it a bullmoose style?
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-27-20 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-27-20, 04:06 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/terry/history.html
you might try contacting her.
https://georgenaterry.com/
Old 02-27-20, 04:21 PM
BadGrandma

Velo Mule, it's a hybrid with a 700c rear wheel.
I'm looking for a road bar and an adjustable stem. Right now, I have an externally threaded, one piece stem.
Old 02-27-20, 04:44 PM
BadGrandma

tricky and Darth Lefty, the hybrid has a one inch diameter quill steerer that I'd like replace with a Profile conversion kit. Sorry if my terminology is all over the place. I'm trying to take notes as I go. I want the Ritchey adjustable stem, as it works well on my Trek. I'm used to drop bars. The Solstice came with flat bars. The bike is maybe a tiny bit small, but I'm used to twitchy bikes.

The brazeons I've noticed are for pivot brakes. I'd love disc, but not considering them, as the space between the dropouts are only 128 mm. Do you have firm opinions about which specific pivot brakes brake the best?

Trailcraft 1x cranksets use an external bearing BB. They offer 165 crank length, which I would prefer. Otherwise, I'm willing to just fake it by using a small inner ring and just "forget" the front derailleur.
Old 02-27-20, 05:06 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
tricky and Darth Lefty, the hybrid has a one inch diameter quill steerer that I'd like replace with a Profile conversion kit. Sorry if my terminology is all over the place. I'm trying to take notes as I go. I want the Ritchey adjustable stem, as it works well on my Trek. I'm used to drop bars. The Solstice came with flat bars. The bike is maybe a tiny bit small, but I'm used to twitchy bikes.

The brazeons I've noticed are for pivot brakes. I'd love disc, but not considering them, as the space between the dropouts are only 128 mm. Do you have firm opinions about which specific pivot brakes brake the best?

Trailcraft 1x cranksets use an external bearing BB. They offer 165 crank length, which I would prefer. Otherwise, I'm willing to just fake it by using a small inner ring and just "forget" the front derailleur.
Sounds like you have a plan for your cockpit. Bar end shifters will be the easiest and probably the cheapest. You could also use integrated brake/shift levers. You would need to use cantilever (one version of what you are calling pivot) brakes which are just fine. I think this bike has wide enough spacing between posts to be able to use modern cantis like these. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...RoClBYQAvD_BwE Again, pics would help for us to be sure.

The other option for brakes is to use V brakes. That would require different brake levers that can pull v-brakes and then you would need to use bar end shifters. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...RoClBYQAvD_BwE

Is there a reason why you want to use Trailcraft? There are lots of 165mm single chainring cranksets out there, and some of them come with a narrow-wide chainring that holds onto the chain better and prevents drops that can be caused by not running a front derailleur.
https://www.performancebike.com/sram...BoCU3cQAvD_BwE
Old 02-27-20, 09:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
BadGrandma (great name), I'm 5'4" and hear you about small bikes. BikeSmith has a lot of info about shorter cranks, and will even shorten certain cranks. Also, Georgena Terry also has a FaceBook group. She sometimes posts used bikes for sale.

I'm looking forward to pics.
Old 02-27-20, 10:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Bad Granny,
We had a Terry come in last year at our co-op with a seized seat post. 650 tires and a great frame,so I used a hydroxide to remove the old seat post and then powder coated the frame. Found all of the Suntour parts to re-assemble the bike, except the bar con shifters. I stopped working waiting to find the right shifters and came back two weeks later to find a new wrench at the co-op decided it needed brifters and a 9 speed rear end. He couldn't get it to work and it still sits at the co-op unfinished. Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I refuse to fix something that wasn't a problem that became one when new parts were introduced. And I don't repair other mechanics F-ups.
I'm thinking as long as you rebuild to what Georgina designed it will be a great bike. Find some good road bars and some Suntour bar cons and happy riding.
BTW I did find a 165 triple here last week if you need it PM me. Smiles, MH