Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Step away from the Computer...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Step away from the Computer...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-20, 02:25 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Hang in there, everybody!
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 04-16-20, 05:17 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
I've purchased a few small bits for the couple of bikes here at my son's in Portland, but being far away from my fleet in Chicagoland makes it a bit easier to keep the credit card (and PayPal) holstered. I did pick up a couple 13/14 Campy cone wrenches from an acquaintance on Classic Rendezvous. That was an in-person meet though, and cash to boot. Anybody got a Campy cone wrench with different sizes to trade (probably for the one on the right)?

Old 04-16-20, 07:46 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Similar issue here! I've taken my gravel bike and mountain bike to the LBS for service and make sure they get my business. But servicing the suspension and linkage is $$$!!!!
Old 04-16-20, 10:03 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I've been buying small bits to keep myself occupied without over spending. I bought a23 rims on clearance to build my race wheels with. I also splurged on 2 sets of miche track hubs for my daughter and I in the hope of some races this summer. Problem is I ordered them from a British place that seems to direct ship from Italy; I ordered them the 1st day of the lockdown in NY and I've now received two emails claiming there are possible delays. I've told my wife when the stimulus check shows up I'm buying some 3x10 speed shifters for the cannondale tandem I picked up just before all this started, don't like flat bars for the kind of distance we want to put on it but have bars and take already though I'm also staring at a used Chris King tandem hub for it as well for a bargain price. Its cheap enough that I'm really tempted since I don't think it will last long but I don't want to strain the budget.
Bought a set of 15.00 microshift grip shift style shifters for a kid's bike, they're remarkably light action and perfect. But already had tires and brakes to finish upgrading the bike for the neighbor's kid to join us on the local mtb trails.
Looking at a 10.00 shifter for another kid's bike. Also considering some spokes to build a wheelset that I have rims, hubs, and nipples for.
Old 04-16-20, 10:34 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
I coincidentally had accumulated quite a few parts for several builds before "this" became reality so I haven't spent much money lately, certainly less than my normal spending rate.

I can certainly see where keeping busy during quarantine could result in additional expenses for parts though!
Old 04-16-20, 10:51 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
My spending has been minimal since I finished the queue. The social distancing caused a huge surge in demand for bikes locally so I don't expect to find another project for awhile.

Trying to occupy my time riding more.
Old 04-17-20, 01:29 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 525 Posts
Found a Raleigh marked 144BCD crankset on ebay for a triple and Atelier gugie has gotten a bunch of my spare cash, waiting on a Witcomb I purchased from nlearner that gugie has been working on. I think gugie is done, now to get it shipped to Lancaster and get my butt out of Covid quarantine and back to USA to build it up for a tryout. Then strip it and bring it back in the fall to Cambodia for paint and building.

Just a teaser, of gugification

Last edited by bwilli88; 04-17-20 at 01:33 AM.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 04-17-20, 04:07 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Being on ssi and a small pension i have been very fortunate in these times. I was asked to come back to work at a bike shop that is open so now i have more money than usual and a store discount. I also have access to qbp and jb catalogs online. So,
i just picked up 2 sets of faux porteur bars in 23.8 on closeout by jb. They were 6 bucks each for aluminum bars every bit as light weight and good feeling as the vo ones i like so well. I also have ordered bells from china to the tune of 1.50 each or so. I have bought tires to finish my motobecane so even with shop discount pasela pts were about 45 bucks. Its not big money but it does add up. Building bikes at work sure makes me appreciate my bikes when i ride on e home.

Chinese bell

23.8 so they take bar ends and light weight aluminum! A mere 6 bucks.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 04-17-20, 04:28 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I'm on furlough at the moment, and it looks like I will be for at least another three weeks.

My wife works for the NHS though, and has been doing a lot of hours over the last few weeks, so while money isn't an issue at the moment it doesn't seem right or fair to go on drunken eBay sprees.

That said though, I've got two projects on the go in the shed that are the results of mixing drink and eBay in the past Being on furlough has finally given me time to get on with them.

Likes For ExPatTyke:
Old 04-17-20, 04:54 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
I spent a decent amount before all the crap hit so I have been less tempted, but not untempted. We are lucky in that my wife and I are both still employed. Our relief money has arrived but we are just sitting on it for now in case one of the kids ends up needing help. If they don't it will offset the cost of some fun prostate surgery I had in February. On the plus side, my wife said she wants to get back on her bike so I was able to let off steam by purchasing some tires for her.
Old 04-20-20, 03:57 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
And put away the credit card...

Today I bought something I always wanted a Chris King headset in gold no less.
Also purchased $100 worth of paint for a powder coated frame I just stripped.
This lockdown and the combination of lousy weather has given me an itchy trigger finger.
Anyone else suffering from this same type of "Ailment"? And if so maybe we can think of a name for it.
I plan to spend $1,070 on a powder paint job after spreading the rear triangle to make a Terry hybrid into a 1x road bike.
Old 04-20-20, 04:00 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by BadGrandma
I plan to spend $1,070 on a powder paint job after spreading the rear triangle to make a Terry hybrid into a 1x road bike.
$1,070 on a "powder coat paint job"??

Does it come with a Blonde and a bottle of wine?
Old 04-20-20, 04:11 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
$1,070 on a "powder coat paint job"??

Does it come with a Blonde and a bottle of wine?
I didn't say I was normal, just creative. Bruce is nervous, but he knows not to try to stop me.
Old 04-20-20, 04:25 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by BadGrandma
I didn't say I was normal, just creative. Bruce is nervous, but he knows not to try to stop me.
That's odd. I had thought Bruce's nerves had been dealt with during recent therapy.
Old 04-20-20, 05:11 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Luckily all the stuff I had planned to buy was planned before the pandemic hit. Hopefully in a month or so I should have completed all bike related purchases for the year. I say that now of course...