Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

In light of the new good ebay thread, the opposite from on here.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

In light of the new good ebay thread, the opposite from on here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 12:28 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
I came for the story and now feel disappointed. I hope it works out for you.
Tx and sorry, there is a backstop that requires discretion for now.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-15-23, 12:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by tendency
I feel there's value in telling the story, at least. You can always omit the other parties name if so compelled but it may serve as a cautionary tale for others with future transactions.
Fully agree and we may get there but the backstop requires full discretion for now.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-15-23, 01:44 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
I can tell you about four stories of potentials deals with ebay that didn't happen, let's go:
1) A french seller who was selling a notar frame in reynolds 753 about 700€ claiming that it was in great condition who sold it before to the previous buyer returned to him it before , he put it again on sale. Back then there were pics of the bottom bracket and seat tube showing rust, I asked the seller per pm "where are the older pics of the bottom bracket and the seat tube showing rust gone ? " After that pm I got a pm which wasn't so polite so the deal was killed off
2) A seller in the US on a rare GT team Zaskar in Easton Elite Wall Taper Limited Edition , told me after I asked the shipping cost "If I ship to your adress , it will cost you what the frame costs if not more". He was honest 349$ +390$ of shipping and importing charges not worthy for me
3) A seller in the UK on a rare nice orange trek 6500 SLR MTB frame 'But understand that it would be very expensive to ship to you country,sorry", not even trying to the least effort to win a deal ,deal killed off.
4) A seller in the US on a rare Trek ZR9000 who told me that he wasn't shipping abroad but then proposed me the frame for less money,I declined and replied to him"Since your last pm was confirming that you don't ship abroad,I won't do any deals with you"
I have a very good ebay feedback but I don't like being treated badly or being lied as I am a honest and fair person. There are a lot of frames from sellers with a high feedback in average condition fetching high prices on ebay. Maybe they think people are naive and not regarding the details but people pay attention to details even the smallest ones. If I feel that the communication with a seller isn't right, I don't do the deal.

Last edited by georges1; 06-15-23 at 01:58 PM.
Likes For georges1:
Old 06-15-23, 02:37 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by georges1
I can tell you about four stories of potentials deals with ebay that didn't happen, let's go:
Well, I have had 100's of successful, great, fine deals across many platforms, mostly here, efbay, CL with only a very small handful of ones that went south at all.

This ain't that, plenty of due diligence, back and forth, etc, etc ad nauseum.

And as stated, I'm not 100% innocent but I was confidant we were on the same page after the seller added some additional problems and seemed like they were being up front.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-15-23, 03:49 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I had a guy buy a Tange Switchblade fork off ebay. He received it and destroyed the original rubber caps off the fork crown bolts removing them so he could complain the bolts were rusty and wanted a refund.

I had a very well known german mtb collector give my only negative feedback in 24 years because he was mad that I wouldn't ship internationally on some Ringle bottle cages, despite there being no international shipping offered and worded in the item description.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 06-15-23, 04:00 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I had a guy buy a Tange Switchblade fork off ebay. He received it and destroyed the original rubber caps off the fork crown bolts removing them so he could complain the bolts were rusty and wanted a refund.
ha, 5 bux sez he stole yours and then got his money back and gave you his old ones.
Seen people do that scam more than once.
Had a guy buy a generator from me and switched generator heads and tried to tell me otherwise.