Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

DI2 shifting problem

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

DI2 shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-23, 08:07 PM
Gearjockey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
DI2 shifting problem

I have an earlier generation Di2 (6870 rear derailleur) on my 2017 Specialized Roubaix which I have owned for a few years.
Recently, it has only been shifting 10 cogs in the rear, largest to second smallest or tenth gear. It wont shift into smallest cog. I have tried to reset it by unplugging battery and junction box to no avail.

I have also reprogrammed it, unsuccessfully, using Shimano project software via PC.
The only way I can get it to shift into smallest cog is by changing into adjustment mode and forcing it into small cog but then It won’t index properly.
admittedly, I rarely use the small gear but I feel like it just doesn’t operate as it was designed. One thing I will add is that I cannot update firmware anymore for this system and I’m not sure if this is because it is too old or not?
I have referenced many Youtube videos so I don’t believe I’m missing anything.

anyone have experience with this issue?
Thanks
Old 09-17-23, 08:21 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Derailer hanger out of wack ?
Old 09-17-23, 08:38 PM
Gearjockey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Derailer hanger out of wack ?
Should have added-brought to bike shop to have them assess derailleur alignment and they felt it wasn’t enough to cause the problem.
Maybe it is.
Old 09-17-23, 08:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I don't know Di2 but I would try "disconnecting" it, then putting the bike on a stand and seeing if I could push the derailleur outboard and shifting the chain to the small cog. This will tell you whether it is the Di2 that isn't up to the job or if something physical is stopping the action.
Old 09-17-23, 10:23 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't know Di2 but I would try "disconnecting" it, then putting the bike on a stand and seeing if I could push the derailleur outboard and shifting the chain to the small cog. This will tell you whether it is the Di2 that isn't up to the job or if something physical is stopping the action.
I haven't tried that with mine but since a motor moves the derailleur I doubt you could do that. Happy to be wrong though.
Old 09-17-23, 10:43 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Assuming it will not get to the smallest cog while on the big ring ?, or is this a problem when in the small ring ?. As I recall, Di2 will not shift to the smallest cog while on the small ring. That’s locked out,
Old 09-18-23, 06:12 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Indeed it does not operate as it should be, you're missing a gear! If it does not go to your smallest gear, it means there is something blocking the motor from going there. It's fail proof so if it doesn't want to go, it means it shouldn't until you fix the problem.

Assuming you are on the big chainring when you are trying to go on the smallest cog:

1) Bent derailleur hanger (regardless of what the LBS said, buy/borrow another one and try it just in case)
2) H-limit screw adjustment. Is it OK?

Last edited by eduskator; 09-26-23 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-18-23, 08:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
6870 didn't lock out the two smallest cogs from use when in the small ring as did later versions of Di2 when the cassette had cogs larger than 26 (or was it 27 teeth). Though I think there might be some settings in eTube that can set it to do stay out of the smallest two cogs when in the small ring. If the OP has been mucking around in eTube unsuccessfully, then just go to a shop and let them see if that is the issue or not. If the shop will let you watch, it'll be money well spent for your Di2 eTube education.

Realize that if you are in the small ring, there are gear combinations in the large ring that will be the same or close enough in ratio or gear inches. And it probably will give you more chain life if you stay out of the small/small combos. As well if you stay out of the big/big combos which also have corresponding gear combos in the small ring.

https://bettershifting.com/di2-cant-...ng-adjust-gpc/

But the big question for this thread is if the OP was also in the small ring or not.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-18-23 at 08:51 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-18-23, 08:39 PM
Gearjockey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was operating large front, small rear.

Thanks for responses.
I will most likely return to LBS to further assess.
Old 09-26-23, 01:51 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
6870 didn't lock out the two smallest cogs from use when in the small ring as did later versions of Di2 when the cassette had cogs larger than 26 (or was it 27 teeth). Though I think there might be some settings in eTube that can set it to do stay out of the smallest two cogs when in the small ring. If the OP has been mucking around in eTube unsuccessfully, then just go to a shop and let them see if that is the issue or not. If the shop will let you watch, it'll be money well spent for your Di2 eTube education.

Realize that if you are in the small ring, there are gear combinations in the large ring that will be the same or close enough in ratio or gear inches. And it probably will give you more chain life if you stay out of the small/small combos. As well if you stay out of the big/big combos which also have corresponding gear combos in the small ring.

https://bettershifting.com/di2-cant-...ng-adjust-gpc/

But the big question for this thread is if the OP was also in the small ring or not.
I *think* 6870/9070 can do this if they have the newer battery/battery mount. I believe they do not support GPC with the SM-BTR2 / SM-/BMR1/2.
I would have to check my commuter bike tonight though
Old 09-26-23, 06:02 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Gearjockey
I was operating large front, small rear.

Thanks for responses.
I will most likely return to LBS to further assess.
You shouldn't be cross-chaining and it's a good thing DI2 is restricting it. Your chain will thank me later.

Last edited by eduskator; 09-26-23 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-26-23, 06:35 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
If the chain is on the big chain ring in the front...crankset...and the biggest gear in the back...sprocket with the fewest teeth...it is not cross chaining.
I'd try to contact Shimano support directly hoping for some advice/suggestions.
Perhaps a reset of the system if possible.
Perhaps the problem starts in the shifter??? Just spit balling guesses.
Perhaps try disconnecting the entire system...unplug the shifters at the shifters, derailleurs at them, the junction box, battery and reconnect perhaps forcing the system to 'see' itself as a new system?
First I'd check the alignment of the derailleur hanger just to be sure it is correctly aligned...this way you can be sure the mechanical end is not the problem or contributing to the problem.
I am not familiar with older Di2 systems but I am using the new 105 Di2 12 speed system and it is set up for manual shifting. I can easily shift onto the 34/11 in order to remove/install the rear wheel when servicing. If it is set to some order of semi or full synchro it will not.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 09-28-23, 06:03 PM
Gearjockey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Update!!

My bike was in the LBS for about a week. I kept calling asking if it was ready (as the leaves are turning) and they said “no, but we’re having our senior tech look at it because we can’t figure it out.” “We straightened the derailer hanger but that was not it. Maybe there’s a problem with the firmware or something like that.”
Yikes.

At that point, I started searching on eBay for used DI2 derailers, cheapest I could find was $200 so I figured I was in for an expensive fix. The bike is kind of old but it’s like anything else mechanical, if it doesn’t work, you cannot sell it: had to be fixed.

Today I’m on the phone with that “senior tech” and he says “we cannot find what is wrong with it. We think it needs a new derailer and then he says while we’re on the phone, “Oh wait a second, I think I see a spring that’s loose…”

Calls me back about an hour later says it’s fixed. There was a spring that was detached underneath the derailer, and he could not see that while looking at it from any other vantage point, other than the very bottom of the bike.

I cannot post pics without 10 Posts but there’s a sprung underneath if you look.
Likes For Gearjockey:
Old 09-28-23, 06:08 PM
Gearjockey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
One more
Old 09-28-23, 06:09 PM
Gearjockey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here are pics

Likes For Gearjockey:
Old 09-28-23, 08:55 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
excellent. glad you got it sorted out and a useful piece of info for us all.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-28-23, 09:43 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Oh, an interesting failure -- spring detached. Good that it's fixed.

8050 compatibility with 6850
Last spring, I decided to proactively replace my rear derailleur. It was 8 1/2 years old, around 32,000 miles. I want to keep riding it for many more years. It still worked fine, but I didn't want to get a sudden failure someday and have to scramble to locate a compatible replacement. (I estimate I've done somewhere between 500,000 and 700,000 shifts! Di2 is sturdy.)

The 8050 derailleur is compatible with the rest of my 6850 set: the seatpost battery, the shifters, the wiring. But it required a firmware update that wasn't compatible with my original charger box. I had done firmware updates myself using e-tube with no problems. The new firmware needs the newer charger that I don't have. So the bike shop did the install.

The new derailleur seems a little faster, and can use an 11-34 instead of the 11-32 (which was already outside the specs for 6850, but shifted fine.)
The new firmware locked out the 34-11 and 34-12 cross chain. My old Di2 allowed this noisy full cross chain. It's probably better that it's locked out.
Likes For rm -rf: