Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

short roadie looking for BMX "commuter"

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 06:07 PM
bka2
monkey rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi guys,

i'm one of those obnoxious people who is looking for some commuting advice. i'm a roadie...

i have a 1-mile commute (very short, i know, but i hate walking!!). i have a pretty nice track bike and a road bike but they are way too nice to be locked up, and after getting my wheels jacked from my track bike i realized that i needed to quit pushing my luck.

so what i'm looking for is a bmx bike to ride to school and work and back. why not a mountain bike beater? because i live in a tiny apartment and have no room for a third full-sized bike...and anyway, from my admittedly little experience with bmx bikes, i think they're fun. so i am thinking of getting a 24" cruiser...but the thing is i am very short (5'4").

can anyone give me some feedback on this? should i be looking at 24" or 20"? is this a totally stupid idea? please tell me if i'm being dumb about this...i am totally open to hearing that!! i know a lot about road bikes and track bikes but i know nothing about bmx.

Last edited by bka2; 04-17-08 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-08, 06:23 PM
wethepeople
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folding bike?

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Old 04-17-08, 07:04 PM
dingguhlbary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude youll be fine with a 20. i have an 18 and i ride around town all the time. multiple miles and its all good. just get a good gearing ratio and youre set. good luck!!
Old 04-17-08, 09:23 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bka2
hi guys,

i'm one of those obnoxious people who is looking for some commuting advice. i'm a roadie...

i have a 1-mile commute (very short, i know, but i hate walking!!). i have a pretty nice track bike and a road bike but they are way too nice to be locked up, and after getting my wheels jacked from my track bike i realized that i needed to quit pushing my luck.

so what i'm looking for is a bmx bike to ride to school and work and back. why not a mountain bike beater? because i live in a tiny apartment and have no room for a third full-sized bike...and anyway, from my admittedly little experience with bmx bikes, i think they're fun. so i am thinking of getting a 24" cruiser...but the thing is i am very short (5'4").

can anyone give me some feedback on this? should i be looking at 24" or 20"? is this a totally stupid idea? please tell me if i'm being dumb about this...i am totally open to hearing that!! i know a lot about road bikes and track bikes but i know nothing about bmx.
dude, not a stupid question. i am a roadie and i am your height as well.

get the 24 cruiser...it will be perfect. i want one too, but i can never build anything cheap and i have too much going on right now with other bikes. if i built a cruiser it would probably be about 2500

have fun!

mx
Old 04-17-08, 09:24 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dingguhlbary
dude youll be fine with a 20. i have an 18 and i ride around town all the time. multiple miles and its all good. just get a good gearing ratio and youre set. good luck!!
no way man. get the cruiser! it will roll stuff better and the slimmer tires will be more efficient for your needs....perfect for the roadie in you.

mx
Old 04-17-08, 09:57 PM
CMcMahon

Bikes: Solid AA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For commuting, get a cruiser and find an old 3-speed Profile hub for the rear wheel.
Old 04-17-08, 10:40 PM
special_k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's what I did with an old school BMX that I got. Should be fun for short commutes.
Old 04-17-08, 11:50 PM
dingguhlbary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mx_599
no way man. get the cruiser! it will roll stuff better and the slimmer tires will be more efficient for your needs....perfect for the roadie in you.

mx
i mean, he DID say one mile. thats like nothing. it would be a sick mile if you could jump off some stuff or manual all the way there.

do it in style my man!!
Old 04-17-08, 11:57 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dingguhlbary
i mean, he DID say one mile. thats like nothing. it would be a sick mile if you could jump off some stuff or manual all the way there.

do it in style my man!!
Old 04-18-08, 04:49 AM
ascend
free mallocs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A mile! Man you don't even need a seat for that. 20" will be fine, and way more fun
Old 04-20-08, 05:59 PM
cheeva
mauve avenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
build up a cheapy fixed or ss from a crap frame
Old 05-08-08, 06:44 PM
Vortex324

Bikes: Cannondale R300, Mongoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet beater

I'm liking that Red BMX with the white tires. I'm looking to do one up like this except with a fixed wheel. Anyone have any suggestions. It will be my first build.
Old 05-08-08, 07:43 PM
ChristAir
chicken pecker

Bikes: everything except a roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure you put bolt-on pegs on the ride. That way, someone has to have a ratchet and extension in order to take your wheels again.