Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear shock not fully returning

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 04:55 AM
specialized1987

Bikes: Specialized FSR ground control, Rock Shox Psylo forks, Rock Shox Coupe Deluxe rear shock, Go Fast Club Roost bars, Azonic Shorty stem, Sunrims Ryno Lite rims, Shimano Deore hubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a specialized FSR with a Rock Shox Coupe Deluxe rear shock. I have been going through my bike trying to get it back to its peak performance as i've been lacking on maintenance. I was tuning up the rear shock for my riding style and I noticed that when I compress the shock it doesnt come all the way back to the fully extended position unless I lift up the bike and sometimes have to push down on the swingarm. I have tried playing with the rebound adjustment and it helps a little but doesnt completely cure it. Is this normal? or is it a sign my shock is worn out and has to be replaced?
Old 07-26-11, 08:30 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
What happens when you add air pressure to it? or it is the sag that it should have?
Old 07-26-11, 01:09 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
If it's an air shock, which I assume it is, the air has leaked out and you need to fill it to the proper pressure for your weight. If it IS filled properly or if it's a coil over shock setup then something in the shock or in your pivots is binding badly. Start by removing the shock all together and see if hte arms all pivot easily like they should or if there's some binding occuring. Fix it and re-install the shock. If it's the shock that is binding if it's an air shock then get a new seal kit and rebuild it. If it's a coil over setup then you'll need to send it somewhere to be rebuilt since they need to recharge it with nitrogen after the rebuild. Or just buy a new/used shock.
Old 07-26-11, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
have you downloaded the PDF of the service manual yet?
Old 07-26-11, 02:46 PM
specialized1987

Bikes: Specialized FSR ground control, Rock Shox Psylo forks, Rock Shox Coupe Deluxe rear shock, Go Fast Club Roost bars, Azonic Shorty stem, Sunrims Ryno Lite rims, Shimano Deore hubs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok so its a coil over shock so I cant just add air to it. I looked up the manual and I went through their whole tuning process to make sure I had it set up right and I did. Ill try taking it off and cleaning the bearings on the link, that actually wouldnt surprise me if thats what it was as almost every bearing on this bike is dirty. If I get that all moving smoothly and it still doesnt fix it do you have any recomendations for shock replacement? i measured the eye to eye length as 6.25" which seems like an odd size to me cuz when i search i only get 6" and 6.5". Any info youve got helps thanks