Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Actual head tube angle / changing fork atc

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 08:08 PM
diff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi, not sure if this would be the correct forum for this...

I am trying to figure out what my actual head tube angle is on my bike.

https://volumebikes.com/70026/wp-cont...53-drawing.png

You can see this frame has a 74 degree HTA with a 366 fork length. I am currently running a 420 fork. I have searched around, and read the rule of thumb is every 10mm of fork atc will alter the head tube angle by .5 degrees. So based off that, I determined a 71.3 HTA.

But not sure about that. I actually threw on a 375 atc fork with 38mm of rake this weekend expecting a dramatic difference, and it really wasn't much.

Tried some trig on it to attempt to get the angle, but didn't have much luck. The only part I know for sure would be the atc + head tube length. Which isn't enough.

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-04-12, 11:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Focusing on only one dimension of steering geometry is not going to give the complete picture. You do give passing notice to another dimension, one of the forks' rake.

It is relitively easy to mock up the various forks, knowing ATC and rakes with a constant initial head angle. Run the math and see the changes of head angles. But don't expect radical real life changes to handling. There're more factors involved then steering end stuff. BTW, don't trust the published specs. Measurements are the best data. Andy.
Old 09-05-12, 07:51 AM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Changing the fork makes the frame pivot around the rear axle. So the angle change is approx. arctan(fork length difference / wheelbase). 3 degrees sounds about right.

Last edited by tuz; 09-05-12 at 08:56 AM. Reason: it's arcsin not arctan, but numerically it's the same
Old 09-05-12, 08:26 AM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Comparing trail is what I am doing. Based on a 71.3 hta with 32 rake and 28c tires gives me a trail of 81. Putting on the other fork with an estimated 73.5 hta with 38 rake would give me a trail of 62. I was expecting much more of a change. Which is why I am thinking my estimated hta is completely wrong.

I was hoping someone could tell me how the math is done. There has to be some kind of formula. I found the 10mm of atc = .5 hta on the bike geo wikipedia page. Also found 1 inch of fork atc = 1 degree of hta in a mountain biking forum discussion. Which of course completely conflict.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-12, 08:37 AM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Didn't notice your reply. Thanks tuz. Need to get an angle finder and just measure I think.

Interesting how some manufacturers are reporting hta. Especially on freestyle type bikes.
Old 09-05-12, 08:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
best bet is just to draw the triangles out and do the math from first principles. Or download and run rattlecad with the appropriate inputs