Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

As a pedestrian how do you want to know when being passed?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-05-20, 03:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
A bell is the best way for a cyclist to announce their approach, it is a something which most people are familiar with and understand....Personally I can't stand cyclists who yell "on your left" or yell " bicycle" or yell some other confusing jargon.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-05-20, 03:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Just a nice protracted cough in my general direction, preferably delivered closer than 6 ft.

But I have to admit "Get the hell out of my way!" has a certain charm to it.
Old 06-05-20, 04:02 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Just don't buzz me at high speed without any notice and I'm good with it.
Cyclists who buzz other people at high speed, are just parasites and pests on two wheels.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-05-20, 04:25 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
As a pedestrian, I stay to the right and don't listen to music or use a phone, so I probably know you are near.... Just pass me with widest berth, safely, and we are all just fine.
Old 06-05-20, 05:10 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I found a voice to cause people to jump. Where as a bell ding rarely does.

My Go to, is Ring it at a greater distance that should be hear able and give them time to react. and If they don't turn and look it gives me an opportunity to start slowing and ding it again while being closer to them.

I think I may have passed deaf people because 2 bells and nothing so I just slow way down and then wave as I go past. I might have different habits if I was in a more populated area, but I am not.

As a pedestrian.... If you have to do anything I've already failed my situational awareness.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 06-05-20, 05:21 PM
oldlady62

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Anything! Seriously, around here on the river mup the riders zoom past with no warning at all. I emailed the local bike club and they thought I was hilarious for even suggesting such a thing as a little warning.
Old 06-05-20, 07:56 PM
theDirtyLemon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
By seeing your @$$.
Old 06-05-20, 08:20 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
when im a pedestrian i want a bicyclist to let me know he is coming up when he is 10+ ft away> @ speed it should be far enough away so as to allow the rider to avoid me ... any sound is ok (bells seem dorky) as long as its far enough back to create space to pass >>> i ride fixed so it easy for me to slow around people but i carry a police whistle just in case the situation presents
Old 06-05-20, 08:31 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'll call out "passing left" (or right), once. If they don't move I figure they're plugged in, and nothing short of an air horn will be heard over the loud noise they're piping into their ear plugs.
Heh... I have an air horn for just those times. I rarely use it though, unless they seem to be wandering.
Old 06-05-20, 08:32 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Don’t need to know, just don’t hit me. As for your little bell, I’ve been around jet engines most of my life, so can’t hear it. So on your left works, if you feel the need to announce yourself. Don’t have a dog, and tend to hold my line when I do walk, which is usually only if I have a flat, don’t really enjoy walking all that much.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 06-05-20, 10:52 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957
I try to stay off the MUPs because of the idiots but when I ride with my wife she prefers them to the road. I will jingle my bell from a good distance back so they know I am approaching then a "Passing on your left. Thank you. Have a nice day." But I am a hell of a nice guy. Not at all like the rest of you clowns.
Yeah, well, I hate people. So I don't have to be friendly.
Old 06-06-20, 06:00 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
https://nutcasehelmets.com/products/...nt=24772206981

This style of bell is what I have gotten the most positive responses from hikers with. Some of the "ping" bells are loud enough to startle hikers as much as yelling on your left. The "ring ring" newsboy bells get lots of smiles and laughs.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 06-06-20, 07:41 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I call out "bicycle". Easy, requires no hardware and works in all hand positions. And everybody but the hearing impaired "gets" it.

Ben
Very clever! I like it!
Old 06-06-20, 07:45 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Wait until the last possible second, and sound this. Loads of fun, and it helps the pedestrian get their heart rate up. They'll thank you.

I know you're joking, but I ride with an AirZound. Since it is so loud, I can signal a polite toot or two from a great distance away so it's not so loud and scary, and give the pedestrians plenty of time to know I'm coming.

As a pedestrian I would like as much advanced warning as possible.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-06-20, 08:57 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Generally, an "on your left" can work, so long as it's well in advance of the pass. Same with a good, loud bell. Again, well in advance of the pass.

A seeming vast percentage of pedestrians loll about on multi-person, multi-use paths, as though nobody's going to be impeded or harmed by their wandering mindlessly across the path randomly. (Same with those with a pet on a leash, while exhibiting zero control over that leash.)

Often and early, loudly enough to be heard. It's what I do for others, passing relatively slowly so nobody feels threatened or surprised. It's what I wish all would do.

That said, I'm relatively easy-going. So long as someone doesn't do the silent-and-within-10-inches pass, and so long as passing isn't done with a 20mph overtaking rate of speed, I'm tolerant enough.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 06-06-20, 10:40 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
i carry a police whistle just in case the situation presents
Not sure if this is a joke, but I think I'm going to use this idea as a backup for the people who don't hear the bell.
Old 06-06-20, 10:57 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Before going to bells, I used to shout "on your left." Many people would jump out of their skins even when I shouted from a considerable distance. With a bell, most people do not appear to jump but silently move to the right. Many wave as I pass and some actually say thanks. I usually wave and say thanks as well. When I am walking and a cyclist passes, I much prefer to hear a bell. There is something about a shout that is surprising and alarming.
Likes For jackb:
Old 06-06-20, 11:51 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
If they have a nice bike, I would love to know make and model and drivetrain, so I can likely say "nice ______". Other than that I prefer a nice bell, the original Spurcycle bell is perfect.

The worst way is an unlubricated chain, that squeaking kills my ears.
Old 06-06-20, 02:18 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
Interesting question with different perspectives. The direct response is a bell is fine as I can hear it from a distance. What I hate is being buzzed by some kitted out roadie trying to establish a PB on a MUP.

Years ago I would have said, I dunno, I don't walk in the street. When I had to take a MUP back then I was ticked, except for the riverbeds, so my disposition was not so friendly. And I'm sure I buzzed a few people.

These days I mostly ride paved, on skinny tires, MUPs as I feel riding on the road is so less safe. Drivers were always pretty bad but now they are over the top distracted. There are rides I used to do I won't do today. But I know where I am on the cycling food chain and will use a bell, maybe on your left, slow down and thank them as I go by. This doesn't mean I won't spin out in wide open places and if it more of a cycling path.

My perspective on hiking/riding trails are a little different as it is the only game in town and I feel I have more of a right to use the trails. I still give hikers the right of way, bell, on your left, slow down, thank you; but I don't feel the stigma when riding them.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-06-20, 02:38 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
A bell is better because some people interpret "on your left" to mean move left.
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 06-06-20, 03:46 PM
Novalite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My drivetrain is so noisy that it does that warning job by itself.
Old 06-06-20, 03:53 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
"On your left" presumes that it's incumbent upon me to get out of your way. This is wrong.
If you are somewhere where you need to pass me, a pedestrian, you should be riding in such a way that you can negotiate that interaction in the same way as another pedestrian. Like waiting your turn, or saying "Excuse me."
Other things like bells & horns are more like a hazard warning, but can be used in a similarly annoying manner.
And if you use that stupid airhorn in my vicinity I will beat you until your cycling days are over.

If you are sharing space with pedestrians, ride gently, so that your behaviour is compatible with the other activity in that place.

Civility, gentlemen, always civility.
Old 06-06-20, 04:15 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by JayKay3000
Not sure if this is a joke, but I think I'm going to use this idea as a backup for the people who don't hear the bell.
not a joke >it's loud enough for any traffic situation ... i should have said coach's whistle ... at least i wasn't shunted to P&R
Old 06-06-20, 04:20 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by theDirtyLemon
"On your left" presumes that it's incumbent upon me to get out of your way.
It can easily be misconstrued, of course. Like any comment or warning, or anything like.

When I hear "on your left," as a pedestrian, I assume it to mean someone's "on my left" and coming up behind me on that side of me. Corroborated by hearing the voice or bell from that side, of course. Invariably the case, in my own experience. And so, I've spent years doing much the same.

Originally Posted by theDirtyLemon
If you are sharing space with pedestrians, ride gently, so that your behaviour is compatible with the other activity in that place.

Civility, gentlemen, always civility.
As you say, civility and gentle accommodation is key. Same as with, say, overtaking speeds or weaving in and out, with a motor vehicle. Good way to get people injured (or, in the case of cars, killed). Far better, all the way around, to go at a sedate enough pace nobody's going to get damaged even if they show they've mush between the ears and do something utterly inappropriate. Far better to ride highly defensively, assuming the other person is going to do something foolish or as though he/she didn't see us. As pedestrians, it works nicely that way as well. If we do it.

Helps keep people's thoughts of others on a decent level for next time, as well, building goodwill over time that pays back all.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 06-06-20, 04:47 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I know you're joking, but I ride with an AirZound. Since it is so loud, I can signal a polite toot or two from a great distance away so it's not so loud and scary, and give the pedestrians plenty of time to know I'm coming.

As a pedestrian I would like as much advanced warning as possible.
"As a pedestrian I would like as much advanced warning as possible."

This! I have been riding when a single cyclist in front of our group announced loudly to warn a person. The person was so startled, and dropped a bag of groceries, the cyclist hit a can and went down. Announcing well in advance is best for both parties.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 06-06-20 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typos
Likes For Bill in VA:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.