Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

1 bike in your quiver

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

1 bike in your quiver

Old 02-15-20, 07:46 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
One bike would be my Masi Giramondo, if I owned a set of 650b wheels with 2in rubber. Or my 97 Trek 830 dirt drop conversion. It's a hard choice. The Masi feels much better after 30 miles, but the Trek has a higher bb that makes singletrack much more possible. Right now the Masi is my nicer weather bike and the trek is for squishy and singletrack conditions. Both are fine on pavement or gravel.
Old 02-16-20, 08:01 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
If I had to give up all but one of my bikes, the one I would probably keep is my Trek 520, which is now more than a quarter of a century old.

Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 02-17-20, 10:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
I don't want to sound nativist or anything dumb like that but this forum is an English language form at least for the many years I have been on and this word "1-bike" is completely foreign and it would be appreciated if you could translate that into something we can all understand.

I could probably pair down to 4 bikes and remain at least semi-alive if absolutely needed.

I would stick with my Phil Wood Apple VeloXS bike purely because of the first 3 words, it is steel and also the Dura-Ace 7400 gruppo on it ain't half bad. This is less a practical choice and more based on aesthetics, skinny tires aren't as fun and downtube shifters are terrible for shifting but my god it says Phil Wood on the downtube because it was made by his company or someone directly contracted by Phil Wood and Co. and has a vintage 90s era Apple logo as the head badge (or sticker in this case).

The next bike would be a titanium road bike with carbon fork and full Dura Ace Di2 Hydraulic Disc gruppo with ti seatpost and stem and clearance for 35c tires

Then a titanium gravel/touring/light mountain bike with Rodeo Spork and XTR Di2 shifting and Hydro brakes with a ti stem, seatpost and ti version of the Koga Denham bar and clearance for 29x2.2 tires. Of course with a full SON dynamo and either B+M or Supernova lights (most likely) and a ti Tubus Cargo Evo or Logo Evo rear rack and a ti front rando rack

And finally a titanium SS/FG version of the All City Super Professional with TRP Hylex RS brakes, Ti stem and seatpost (again), ZIPP Service Course SL-70 Ergo Bars, two rear wheels (one with a Paul fixed WORD hub and the other a high end single speed cassette hub) and again SON dynamo and a ti front rando rack.

However this is a torturous thought as I would also need a full suspension mountain bike with plenty of tire clearance (or a hardtail if I must) and would really really love to add a Ti Bosch gen4 Cargo Speed motor'd bike with dual batteries, Rohloff E-14 shifting with Supernova M99 pro and two sets of M99 rear lights on each rear stay and maybe an integrated front rack into the frame. So 6 bikes would probably be my absolute limit and even that wouldn't be as fun.

I will say I do love Ti a lot if you didn't guess already but it is a great material and if I can do most bikes in it I can have those bikes for a long period and especially if unpainted don't have to worry about paint damage so I can ride them without worry. However the idea of going down to just one is just not realistic. I will say though I would love to get rid of a few bikes in my collection because as much as I do love bikes and love n+1 I think I have some bikes I just don't really ride or want and would love to focus on upgrading the current collection and kind of pairing down to bikes I truly love without question.
Old 02-18-20, 12:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I don't want to sound nativist or anything dumb like that but this forum is an English language form at least for the many years I have been on and this word "1-bike" is completely foreign and it would be appreciated if you could translate that into something we can all understand.

I could probably pair down to 4 bikes and remain at least semi-alive if absolutely needed.

I would stick with my Phil Wood Apple VeloXS bike purely because of the first 3 words, it is steel and also the Dura-Ace 7400 gruppo on it ain't half bad. This is less a practical choice and more based on aesthetics, skinny tires aren't as fun and downtube shifters are terrible for shifting but my god it says Phil Wood on the downtube because it was made by his company or someone directly contracted by Phil Wood and Co. and has a vintage 90s era Apple logo as the head badge (or sticker in this case).

The next bike would be a titanium road bike with carbon fork and full Dura Ace Di2 Hydraulic Disc gruppo with ti seatpost and stem and clearance for 35c tires

Then a titanium gravel/touring/light mountain bike with Rodeo Spork and XTR Di2 shifting and Hydro brakes with a ti stem, seatpost and ti version of the Koga Denham bar and clearance for 29x2.2 tires. Of course with a full SON dynamo and either B+M or Supernova lights (most likely) and a ti Tubus Cargo Evo or Logo Evo rear rack and a ti front rando rack

And finally a titanium SS/FG version of the All City Super Professional with TRP Hylex RS brakes, Ti stem and seatpost (again), ZIPP Service Course SL-70 Ergo Bars, two rear wheels (one with a Paul fixed WORD hub and the other a high end single speed cassette hub) and again SON dynamo and a ti front rando rack.

However this is a torturous thought as I would also need a full suspension mountain bike with plenty of tire clearance (or a hardtail if I must) and would really really love to add a Ti Bosch gen4 Cargo Speed motor'd bike with dual batteries, Rohloff E-14 shifting with Supernova M99 pro and two sets of M99 rear lights on each rear stay and maybe an integrated front rack into the frame. So 6 bikes would probably be my absolute limit and even that wouldn't be as fun.

I will say I do love Ti a lot if you didn't guess already but it is a great material and if I can do most bikes in it I can have those bikes for a long period and especially if unpainted don't have to worry about paint damage so I can ride them without worry. However the idea of going down to just one is just not realistic. I will say though I would love to get rid of a few bikes in my collection because as much as I do love bikes and love n+1 I think I have some bikes I just don't really ride or want and would love to focus on upgrading the current collection and kind of pairing down to bikes I truly love without question.
I see you haven't thought about this much. Take some time, and come back with a more detailed answer, please.

Lots of good choices there .... I'd drop the SS for the F/S MTB, and I wouldn't include the Apple Wood ... because it is yours, not mine. Otherwise, pretty close. I will give you a 92 .... out of a possible 113. Keep up the good work..
Old 02-18-20, 07:54 PM
KiwiAmerican
KiwiAmerican

Bikes: 1993 Specialized RockHopper Comp. 1992 KHS Montaña Pro. 2018 Cannondale CAAD 12. Raleigh Seneca Mnt Tour.1987 Nishiki Prestige. 1993 GT Karakoram.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
1993 Hardrock for anything but road. It get the job done plus some. Easy to find and easily customizable for your needs. Not the lightest bike out there (by quite a bit). But so long as you don't plan on clearing any cyclocross barriers then you're in the game on this steed!
Likes For KiwiAmerican:
Old 02-18-20, 08:52 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I could probably pair down to 4 bikes and remain at least semi-alive if absolutely needed...
I could do 2... with a twist.

1. 700c endurance road/gravel bike with enough barnacles for touring racks if required. Lot's of brands to choose from but able to take 28 - 40mm tires. That would serve my road needs.

2. 26" Fat bike with locking front suspension and a second wheel set. Tires from 26x4.5 to 29x2.5. That would serve my off road/mtb needs.

3. 700c FG road bike. This could be a "looker" and thus serve as rideable wall art, so not technically another bicycle. Just because FG is too fun to live without.
Old 02-19-20, 03:14 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet

1. 700c endurance road/gravel bike with enough barnacles for touring racks if required. Lot's of brands to choose from but able to take 28 - 40mm tires. That would serve my road needs.

2. 26" Fat bike with locking front suspension and a second wheel set. Tires from 26x4.5 to 29x2.5. That would serve my off road/mtb needs.

3. 700c FG road bike. This could be a "looker" and thus serve as rideable wall art, so not technically another bicycle. Just because FG is too fun to live without.
I built a fixed-gear road bike after watching the movie QUICKSILVER starring Kevin Bacon. I thoroughly enjoyed the sene when he rode the bicycle inside hjis apartment although in reality the bicycle used in that scene was a Trick-Bicycle as evidenced by the tiny chain-ring. I also enjoyed the scene where the other bicycle messengers rode fixed-gear bicycles and performed a number of tricks with them. I wanted to try learning to ride a fixed gear backwards.

I had a lot of fun with my fixed-gear bicycle until a wrong-direction riding bicyclist in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada rode out of a one-way street onto the main street I was riding along. That intersection was blind from the direction I was riding and when I hit the idiot my bicycle frame was bent beyond repair as the tubes and getting them replaced would have cost more than the frame was worth new. At least I was able to straighten the fork enough so that I had steerage for the 25+ miles I had to ride home.

That idiot bicyclist never even slowed down before exiting the road he was on and entering the busy main road I was on. Had I been an automobile he would have joined the statistics of dead bicyclists.

I'd build and ride another fixed gear but I simply don't trust being able to panic stop in a short distance in traffic.

Too bad about that bicycle because the frame was a used custom made Mariposa track frame sold by Bicycle Sport on King Street in Toronto, Canada.

Cheers
Old 02-19-20, 09:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Happy Feet

Yeah not terrible but I am currently not in the ability to get rid of the Phil Wood frame but then again who would!

The 1. could work but I like two separate bikes. I guess though I could do the 1 with the Phil Wood and the 2 and do the 3 bikes but that would be rough. However with thru-axles and the PAUL WORD fixed hub we could make 1 work as a 3.
Old 02-19-20, 09:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I see you haven't thought about this much. Take some time, and come back with a more detailed answer, please.

Lots of good choices there .... I'd drop the SS for the F/S MTB, and I wouldn't include the Apple Wood ... because it is yours, not mine. Otherwise, pretty close. I will give you a 92 .... out of a possible 113. Keep up the good work..
I rarely think about bikes so yeah I will have to come back sometime. I am sorry. I have failed you.

I wouldn't include the Phil Wood if I didn't have it. But having it I wouldn't get rid of it. People have asked and I give them a high number that is unattainable because I love it so much.
Old 02-23-20, 04:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
] I wouldn't include the Phil Wood if I didn't have it. But having it I wouldn't get rid of it. People have asked and I give them a high number that is unattainable because I love it so much.
Yeah, you are stuck with that bike for the rest of your life. Such a burden.

Old 02-23-20, 06:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah, you are stuck with that bike for the rest of your life. Such a burden.

It is my form of self flagellation. What can I say I am a sucker for punishment.
Old 02-25-20, 03:35 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I read down about halfway through the first page of this thread and decided to jump in, but I'm treating this "just one" as a TEOTWAWKI choice ... and mine is this

WorkCycles Gr8 (as city bike)

I'd get the 8-speed hub (or maybe a Rohloff) with rear hand brake, front rack, and if available, a low-speed option (smaller chainring, I think). Also swap out the twist-grip for a trigger shifter.

Heavy, yeah, but I'd think of it in terms of dependability, low maintenance, and longevity.
Likes For rollagain: