Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tricks for Finding Cheap Bike Parts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 04:22 PM
chobbs77

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Are there any tips you guys have for finding cheap bike parts. I’m looking for used Shimano brifters but can’t find many good options under $100. There are a few lower end options around $50. Do I have to bite the bullet and pay the price, or can I find cheaper quality?
Likes For chobbs77:
Old 06-05-20, 04:30 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Donor bike.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-05-20, 04:39 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I’m always looking and when a steal does appear, I may buy it even if I don’t have an immediate need. Requires a lot of patience and cash to fund the parts bin. If I were to factor the cost of my money sitting on a shelf, it’s probably an awful approach.
Old 06-05-20, 04:53 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Depends on if you're trying to find Dura-Ace or Ultegra for that price or something down range. Ebay prices are stupid high right now. If you have a local bike shop that sells used parts, that's a good place. Donor bikes work well. We don't know how many speeds you're looking for, nor general age. That can help or hurt the cause.
Old 06-05-20, 05:00 PM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
diligence + luck + improvise + repeat

1. diligence
forum. ebay. vintage-friendly shops like Boulder Bicycle always have some interesting deals and continuous discovery of NOS stuffs outta no where. subscribe. Ben's Cycle is awesome, too. when search ebay, don't search with too much detailed info and exact word. think how a seller whose no idea on the value of the part would post a thing. ie.) shimano 600 ex tricolor crankset (i'm just making up) vs 'shimano crank'. you'd be surprised at the results. also do an intentional typo search like Campanolo. simano. gems are usually there with less competition hence lower tag. of course, you've gotta be on top of your game on what you are exactly looking for, and eyes and knowledges on the stuffs.

2. luck
can't explain this. some stuffs are meant to be yours.

3. improvise
unless you are doing a specific timeframe sales-catalogue level restoration (which is fun), improvise is fun too. prices on even a same item do fluctuate with no reason. if you realize what you hunt for is now on unusually high-side, either no rush or find an alternative still works, then see you can replace it later. found myself that, waiting for an item could well go like 3 years±. part of fun, too. i learnt a lot from improvise.

4. repeat
'til you find what you want at good price. trust me, it's still a way healthier addiction than watches or guns. i do another unhealthy things called golf clubs. you get the story.

by no means, lecturing you or anything. just sharing my experience here.

Last edited by orangeology; 06-05-20 at 07:43 PM.
Likes For orangeology:
Old 06-05-20, 05:05 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,609 Posts
https://www.alibaba.com/Cycling_p127...2ce267afUxn5lz
Old 06-05-20, 05:13 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Visit, don't call your LBS. Explain what you want + what you can pay. Leave a number/email if not there now.

Bike co-op. Search bins. Ask the staff.

Post here on the ISO thread.

Place ad on CL.

Discovered I need a BB axle (spindle) for a double as one I had was for a triple. Word of mouth only , asked people some people who bike and found man who has a NOS sealed cartridge in box for $20 Canadian. Cheaper and faster than online.

All you need is one person who has it and can't use it (or who takes pity on you).
Old 06-05-20, 05:22 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
You might try looking for used women's bikes. They often sit unsold longer and folks end up just wanting to move them. I've seen screaming deals locally for 105/Ultegra equipped women's bikes, but wasn't in a place to make the purchase.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 06-05-20, 06:18 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
Bike co-op / community bike shop is the best way to find these. Do you have any near you?
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 06-05-20, 06:40 PM
chobbs77

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks I’ll try all of these. I’m eyeing a shimano ultegra 600 groupset right now. Anything wrong with mixing up the models.
Old 06-05-20, 08:02 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
You might try looking for used women's bikes. They often sit unsold longer and folks end up just wanting to move them. I've seen screaming deals locally for 105/Ultegra equipped women's bikes, but wasn't in a place to make the purchase.
Damn, that's a really good idea.
Old 06-05-20, 08:14 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Live in a city with a lot of bike co-ops or bike shops that sell used parts.
Old 06-05-20, 08:17 PM
chobbs77

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have two co ops in my city. I have never been to one, what should I expect?
Old 06-05-20, 08:36 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by chobbs77
The answer is, go visit them.

Another thing to do: Post your location - you'll might be shocked at how many bike forum members live near you and may have exactly what you're looking for at much less than you'd pay on eBay.
Old 06-05-20, 09:50 PM
CaptCranky
"newer" member

Bikes: '16 Velo Orange Pass Hunter, '95 Gary Fisher MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Say where you are, as Gugie says. Visit your coop because no two are alike. Understand that they never know what will walk in the door, or when, so they might not have what you need this week, but it could magically appear next week. Politely ask if they have a WTB list. Be "that nice human who was looking for the XYZ" so that they'll go to the trouble of finding your number if it turns up.

Say what you need, specifically, so that if a bike forums member has it, they'll know they have it.

Good luck and ride safe.

Al
Likes For CaptCranky:
Old 06-05-20, 10:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
A bin of the worst pedals known to man.

And good stuff, too.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-08-20, 11:08 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by orangeology
diligence + luck + improvise + repeat

1. diligence
forum. ebay. vintage-friendly shops like Boulder Bicycle always have some interesting deals and continuous discovery of NOS stuffs outta no where. subscribe. Ben's Cycle is awesome, too. when search ebay, don't search with too much detailed info and exact word. think how a seller whose no idea on the value of the part would post a thing. ie.) shimano 600 ex tricolor crankset (i'm just making up) vs 'shimano crank'. you'd be surprised at the results. also do an intentional typo search like Campanolo. simano. gems are usually there with less competition hence lower tag. of course, you've gotta be on top of your game on what you are exactly looking for, and eyes and knowledges on the stuffs.

2. luck
can't explain this. some stuffs are meant to be yours.

3. improvise
unless you are doing a specific timeframe sales-catalogue level restoration (which is fun), improvise is fun too. prices on even a same item do fluctuate with no reason. if you realize what you hunt for is now on unusually high-side, either no rush or find an alternative still works, then see you can replace it later. found myself that, waiting for an item could well go like 3 years±. part of fun, too. i learnt a lot from improvise.

4. repeat
'til you find what you want at good price. trust me, it's still a way healthier addiction than watches or guns. i do another unhealthy things called golf clubs. you get the story.

by no means, lecturing you or anything. just sharing my experience here.
This. If you kinda make it your hobby to poke around the classifieds, you'll be the first to respond to postings on places like Nextdoor or FB Marketplace. Just in the past two weeks, I've seen a pristine '87 Sirrus go for $35, and a virtually unridden Univega Gran Turismo and a very good Centurion Le Mans (Tange 2) go for free. Today, I'm picking up some cheap parts because I happened to check Nextdoor a little after midnight the other night, just before going to bed.
Old 06-08-20, 12:06 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Boxes of 6-7-speed freewheels.

Co-ops are a godsend if you have a pre-freehub road bike and want to change up the gearing occasionally.

Last edited by sheddle; 06-08-20 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-08-20, 12:45 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
market is what the market is. I remember years ago being surprised at how expensive and hard to find 9 speed ultegra stuff was.

a lot depends on what speed brifters you are looking for......used can be hit and miss as to working (that info would help also)

Old 06-08-20, 12:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Get a paid subscription to bikeforums so you can visit the for-sale sections. We are always making deals there.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 06-08-20, 03:32 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
The best deals I have ever gotten came at times I least expected it. I was buying a new car for my daughter when she was going to college. The salesman was a really down to earth guy and we ended up meeting on the weekend for coffee. I rode one of my old racers . He saw my bike and asked if I like older steel racing bikes and of course I said "yea". He told me about walking in to a bike shop in the eighties and buying the top bike they had a Trek 600 in blue. A week after he bought it he was in a terrible car crash so he never rode the bike. He told me I could have it! I have had bikes given to me or rare Campy stuff just by sharing my passion with others. How about a NOS set of Schwinn Paramount P13 take off wheels (tubulars) laced to Campagnolo High Flange hubs and the prettiest flat skewers I have ever seen, that had never been used , still had the silk tires on them that were not cracked and held air for weeks( early seventies ) on eBay. Nobody bid , I got the set with a Regina Oro freewheel for $46.00. The list goes on , but just keep your eyes open and if you see something , ask.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 06-08-20, 03:51 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I spent many Saturday am's doing the garage sale hunt. They should be coming back if and where allowed. Buying inexpensive bikes you don't want or need gives you a deep inventory, IF you want 7 speed or earlier.
And occasionally you will land a great white whale.
Old 06-08-20, 04:29 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Are there any tips you guys have for finding cheap bike parts. I’m looking for used Shimano brifters but can’t find many good options under $100. There are a few lower end options around $50. Do I have to bite the bullet and pay the price, or can I find cheaper quality?
Meet many people. Be nice to them.

Other cyclists into other types of bikes is great - the guy with the Schwinns, the vintage MTB guy, the messenger gal; share spillover treasures.

People into scrap metals run into lots of bikes, building supers, odd jobs like that.

Be nice to people and they will be nice to you.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 06-08-20, 05:22 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
1 parts on a bike are as a package cheaper than a single part
2 bikes on the local market are more affordable than bikes available globally
3 don't look for a specific part, if you do they'll magically vanish from the market
Old 06-08-20, 05:27 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 1,407 Posts
Swap meets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.