Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Always carry a multi tool..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 02:38 PM
decentdrummer91

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I missed my pedal at a stop light when I was trying to clip in and I guess I accidently pushed too hard down on saddle. Had to ride 20 miles with that angle. Lesson learned, always carry my multi tool with me, you never know what will happen 😂😂😂
Old 11-05-16, 02:47 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Heck, always carry a multi tool with a bottle opener... you just never know.
Old 11-05-16, 04:19 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by decentdrummer91
So I missed my pedal at a stop light when I was trying to clip in and I guess I accidently pushed too hard down on saddle. Had to ride 20 miles with that angle. Lesson learned, always carry my multi tool with me, you never know what will happen ������
Even though I carry a multitool and more, I can see the appeal of traveling as light as possible. However, the Park Tool MT-1 is pretty minimal.
Old 11-05-16, 05:01 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
That park tool is self defense too.
Old 11-05-16, 05:20 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
A properly installed saddle shouldn't move.

Or maybe there is something wrong with the hardware.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-05-16 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-05-16, 06:00 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Make sure it's got every tool you need, as well...rode the 11 miles to work Friday morning with my bars at a slight angle because the tool I had didn't have a T25 key
Old 11-05-16, 06:28 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
+1 for the Park MT-1 tool. I keep one on each of my bikes. Light, inexpensive, does the job well...better than most other more expensive tools actually.
Old 11-05-16, 08:16 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Another +1 for the Park Tool MT-1. It's what's in my saddle bag.
Old 11-05-16, 08:31 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Seems like something that could have been avoided by properly torquing bolts to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, depending on what I am doing I have a hex key set, but your saddle moving is something I've never had an issue with.
Old 11-05-16, 09:29 PM
jorglueke

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1972 Schwinn SS

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was monkeying with my saddle and I got to a rest and noticed it was tilting incorrectly. Luckily I brought the tool
Old 11-05-16, 09:32 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Sounds like you just need to carry a hex key. Although I carry a couple of tools, the hex keys is all I have really used for non flat related repair.
Old 11-05-16, 10:11 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
i always carry a multi-tool except on short errands. i also make sure my seat is tightened properly. voila! no problemo
Old 11-05-16, 10:16 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I carry a good multi-tool with chain breaker, a patch kit, spare tube and another small tool with 8, 9 &10mm sockets. I also carry a 6" adjustable wrench in case I come across someone with a problem that requires a bigger wrench than 10mm - such as a nutted saddle or a wheel with nuts. It's always nice to be able to stop and help someone get back on the road or trail again that they'd otherwise have to walk back from because of a relatively minor needed repair. It all fits in my seatbag.

Cheers
Old 11-05-16, 10:28 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
You mean there are people who don't carry tools when they ride? What do they do if their seat gets out of adjustment?

Tools. Flat kit. Air. Gotta have 'em. There's 1001 flavors to choose from, pick ones you like.

-Kedosto
Old 11-05-16, 10:34 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
Thought it was tightened all the way but I guess it wasn't. No big deal, just road at an odd angle for the next 20 miles 😂
Old 11-05-16, 10:35 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
You mean there are people who don't carry tools when they ride? What do they do if their seat gets out of adjustment?

Tools. Flat kit. Air. Gotta have 'em. There's 1001 flavors to choose from, pick ones you like.

-Kedosto
Exactly, I agree. I just never had that problem with my seat so never thought to bring with me. But I always have flat kit
Old 11-05-16, 10:36 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I carry a good multi-tool with chain breaker, a patch kit, spare tube and another small tool with 8, 9 &10mm sockets. I also carry a 6" adjustable wrench in case I come across someone with a problem that requires a bigger wrench than 10mm - such as a nutted saddle or a wheel with nuts. It's always nice to be able to stop and help someone get back on the road or trail again that they'd otherwise have to walk back from because of a relatively minor needed repair. It all fits in my seatbag.

Cheers
How nice of you. I was on the ground stretching and this guy pulled over he thought something was wrong, I told him I'm fine lol.
Old 11-05-16, 10:37 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
i always carry a multi-tool except on short errands. i also make sure my seat is tightened properly. voila! no problemo
I thought it was tightened all the way but it wasn't, learned my lesson 😑
Old 11-05-16, 10:38 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Seems like something that could have been avoided by properly torquing bolts to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, depending on what I am doing I have a hex key set, but your saddle moving is something I've never had an issue with.
Never had an issue either, in my 3 years of riding this is first time. I'll make sure everything is cranked tight but I'll also play it safe and carry the tool with me from now on 😅
Old 11-05-16, 10:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I leave the driveway for every ride as if I were leaving for a mini-tour. Never know how far I'm gonna go, never know what I might need. Full saddlebag weighs about a pound, and I don't care. A pound of prevention might as well be gold compared to having to find someone to pick me up on the side of the road 40 miles from home because a fastener came loose.

I wonder what it's like to ride so infrequently over such short distances as to never have to carry anything on the bike. Alas, I will never know.
Old 11-05-16, 10:39 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-Tim-
I'm just a noob that's still learning, that's all 😑. Guess it wasn't tight all the way. Was riding it for a week and only today it came loose.
Old 11-05-16, 10:40 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I leave the driveway for every ride as if I were leaving for a mini-tour. Never know how far I'm gonna go, never know what I might need. Full saddlebag weighs about a pound, and I don't care. A pound of prevention might as well be gold compared to having to find someone to pick me up on the side of the road 40 miles from home because a fastener came loose.

I wonder what it's like to ride so infrequently over such short distances as to never have to carry anything on the bike. Alas, I will never know.
Lol I know what you mean, I always ride long distances as well. And I don't mind bringing a couple extra things to ensure my safety and well-being .
Old 11-05-16, 10:53 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Seems like something that could have been avoided by properly torquing bolts to begin with......
You guys are right. Perfectly maintained bikes (ridden in perfect circumstances) would never break and/or need impromptu repairs. But there is so little perfection in this world.... and so many miles to be bicycled. Certainly repairs will be required from time to time.

I haven't seen a what's in your saddlebag thread lately. Those threads always force me to inventory my saddlebag(s). I try so hard to ride light.. and not carry too much. But... I am also a believer in that... Two is one and one is none, principle. For me... finding the right tools (and right number of tools) to carry is a struggle.

With that said. Other than tire levers... I can't recall ever really needing a tool on the road.
Old 11-05-16, 11:03 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
You guys are right. Perfectly maintained bikes (ridden in perfect circumstances) would never break and/or need impromptu repairs. But there is so little perfection in this world.... and so many miles to be bicycled. Certainly repairs will be required from time to time.

I haven't seen a what's in your saddlebag thread lately. Those threads always force me to inventory my saddlebag(s). I try so hard to ride light.. and not carry too much. But... I am also a believer in that... Two is one and one is none, principle. For me... finding the right tools (and right number of tools) to carry is a struggle.

With that said. Other than tire levers... I can't recall ever really needing a tool on the road.
I totally agree, I don't think anyone can say that they are perfectly prepared for any situation, but I try to prepare for as much as I can . Now I learned my lesson and can be more experienced 😊
Old 11-05-16, 11:13 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by decentdrummer91
I totally agree, I don't think anyone can say that they are perfectly prepared for any situation, but I try to prepare for as much as I can . Now I learned my lesson and can be more experienced 😊
Clearly, you're far too level headed for this forum.

May the pavement be smooth and the wind at your back!

-Kedosto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.