Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Non Racing Helmet for Utility Biking

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-07-16, 08:28 AM
Waterdawg

Bikes: Cannondale Adventure Three

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My last two helmets and most of what I see available are all designed for "racing" or aerodynamics.
Since I'm riding for Utility and upright, aerodynamics are pointless.

What kind of non traditional helmets have you seen or use?
Old 11-07-16, 08:41 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't think you can beat Bell Muni.
Front visor.
It offers a snap-on rear-view mirror, and mounts for Bontrager flea blinkies front and rear.
I'm on my 4th.
Old 11-07-16, 10:27 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Stop by a local thrift shop and see what they have for $5. My current mountain helmet was like $4 otd. I left the price tag on so all my mates know what a savvy shopper I am. It even has an adjustable retention system.

Old 11-07-16, 10:53 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Off the top of my head, I'd say Nutcase helmets...look more like traditional skate helmets. Their metroride ones are lighter, and better ventilated. On the downside, they are only available in m/l, so don't come as small as their other bike line, which aren't as ventilated, kind of typical of the urban helmet style, and they are a tad heavy (to me anyway). Giro and I'm sure others offer a urban/messenger style which also look like the nutcase helmets, without the fun designs, lol, but they look better ventilated, and may be lighter.
Old 11-07-16, 11:08 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
Stop by a local thrift shop and see what they have for $5. My current mountain helmet was like $4 otd. I left the price tag on so all my mates know what a savvy shopper I am. It even has an adjustable retention system.
I'd never buy a used helmet. You have no idea what it has been through. Especially so one that looks like my Schwinn helmet, which I bought for $15 or so brand new, hardly an astronomical cost.

To the OP: mine was about $15 from a local big box chain. Schwinn branded, but probably from the same factory as the Bells, they looked identical. It fit MY head well, which is the most important thing. If it ever takes a good whallop on a fall, for $15 I won't mind swapping it out, either. Even at the cheap price, it has the aerodynamics of any higher priced, non specialized helmet, and it came with a blinky red light on the back, if that matters to you. Aero look is at all price points, unless you really hate the look it is rather the standard these days.

Last edited by jefnvk; 11-07-16 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-07-16, 11:15 AM
Jiggle

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You use a sensor system called a Mk. 1 eyeball to do something called an "inspection".
Old 11-07-16, 11:40 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
You use a sensor system called a Mk. 1 eyeball to do something called an "inspection".
If you can do a through inspection of the foam's structure with your eyeballs, you are better than I. Not worth it, IMO, to save $10 on, might as well just wear my ball cap and hope I don't crash.

I wrecked a motorcycle once. Other than a few scrapes, you couldn't have noticed the helmet was involved in a crash despite a rather violent faceplant twice, and as such, I marked it as wrecked with a paint pen and buried it in the trash, knowing someone would likely use it if found.
Old 11-07-16, 12:03 PM
BKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Look up Melon helmets at amazon, lots of cool designs (even a melon one).
Old 11-07-16, 12:11 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Just go grab something off the shelf at Target or Walmart. Done deal.
Old 11-07-16, 12:24 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Bern makes fantastic 'utility' style helmets. Highly rated company. I had a Bern Brentwood and liked it and was always against those aerodynamic style helmets (mostly for looks). Until I tried one that is. Much more ventilation, lighter and to me now they look just as good if you have the right one.
Old 11-07-16, 12:30 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Vast majority of helmets sold since the mid-70's have looked sorta like 'racing' helmets but really are just 'cycling' helmets.
A lot of the 'non-traditional' helmets don't look very well ventilated.
Old 11-07-16, 01:46 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Off the top of my head, I'd say Nutcase helmets...look more like traditional skate helmets. Their metroride ones are lighter, and better ventilated. On the downside, they are only available in m/l, so don't come as small as their other bike line, which aren't as ventilated, kind of typical of the urban helmet style, and they are a tad heavy (to me anyway). Giro and I'm sure others offer a urban/messenger style which also look like the nutcase helmets, without the fun designs, lol, but they look better ventilated, and may be lighter.
The new nutcase metro helmets are pretty light. There are also Lazer Helmets. And the Carerra foldable helmets.

Public Bikes has pretty much all of the utility helmets!
Old 11-07-16, 01:52 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
A used helmet? No thanks.
Old 11-07-16, 02:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Look at Nutcase Helmets | Cool bike helmets for everyday riding

Bern helmets Has a Ski Line too made to be warmer https://www.bernunlimited.com/

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-07-16 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 02:11 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
The new nutcase metro helmets are pretty light. There are also Lazer Helmets. And the Carerra foldable helmets.

Public Bikes has pretty much all of the utility helmets!
Good to know. I need the 52cm size, and nutcase told me they didn't come that small in their metro helmets. I have one of their other bike line helmets, and it's comfortable, and I think their strapping/magnetic clasp is the bees knees, but it's heavy, and hot. I keep thinking I'll make it my errand/short ride winter helmet
Old 11-07-16, 02:35 PM
sarahbruce

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I too dislike "pointy race" helmets and like extra coverage on the back of my head that is provided by some of the more rounded helmets. If you have a normal size head, the Bell Lithium is a great helmet sold at Target. This is what my wife wears and she has no complaints.

However, if like me, you have a large melon, and one size fits all doesn't fit- I have the Bell Stoker. The large size really is pretty large, and the ventilation is good enough for long rides in the Florida heat and humidity. I highly recommend!

Bruce
Old 11-07-16, 07:40 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I would NOT ever trust a used helmet from any thrift store. You don't know what abuses it might have been subjected to.

If i were a helmet for utility riding I prefer a rounded design one rather than one that's longer than wide. The more round a helmet is the less likely it is to give you a rotational head injury in a crash.

Cheers
Old 11-07-16, 07:50 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I'm just gonna sneak back in here to post a pic of the Bern helmet I mentioned:

Old 11-07-16, 09:24 PM
Waterdawg

Bikes: Cannondale Adventure Three

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure how cost got into the discussion. As I use to tell fellow bikers (motorcycle, not pedal) Buy a cheap bike and expensive gear. I have a perfectly good helmet, but I don't like the racing look. I'm not concerned with cost as much as I am with function and fit.

Thanks for the suggestions on the non racey look helmets. Those are exactly what I had in mind.
Old 11-07-16, 10:41 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Just go grab something off the shelf at Target or Walmart. Done deal.
Yea, seriously. Just go to a store with a variety of helmets and buy one that fits, is in your price range and you like the look of. A helmet's a helmet, except for those three factors.
Old 11-08-16, 12:01 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If possible, visit REI or any store that stocks helmets. Handle them, examine the insides, fittings, straps and locks. You'll see why the Bern and Nutcase helmets cost around $70, compared with the Bell Segment and similar non-racer helmets.

Nothing wrong with the Bell -- Bells are usually excellent values -- but the attention to detail in the Bern and Nutcase is extraordinary when compared with others.

Tonight I examined several helmets at the local REI and will probably buy a Bern or Nutcase as my winter helmet (they're probably too hot for Texas summers). The padding, straps, tension/fit adjustment and, especially with the Nutcase, the snaps, are all extraordinary for $70.

And after some uncomfortable close calls tonight during a rainy ride, including the most ridiculous right hook I've experienced yet, I'm ready for a most substantial helmet for cool and rainy rides.

And I did buy a better headlight at REI after nearly an hour of playing with most of the popular brands and models of headlights and taillights. I can see why REI is so popular. Few bike shops carry that kind of variety in selections.
Old 11-08-16, 06:50 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
A lot of it is style. Even those helmets that are simply against the racing helmet style is really a style in itself. So no matter which way you go, the marketing has identified those who want to be different.

Safety first and then its about how you ride. Even if you don't race, the question is about how you want to handle heat build up that may result in sweating down your face and eyes.

If you ride like short distances and go just 10 mph, that's hardly a sweat.
Old 11-08-16, 06:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
NOT something I would do, or recommend doing. But I guess it's your head.
Old 11-08-16, 08:56 AM
Jiggle

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If a helmet takes a hit, the foam deforms, which is apparent. It does not magically break on the inside where you cannot see it and still look pristine on the outside.

I'm glad we haven't tossed around the old myth about helmets needing to be replaced every XX years, which has been thoroughly debunked, and is really just an ad ploy to generate more sales. I'm proud of you, bikeforums peoples.
Old 11-08-16, 10:39 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Bern, Nutcase as mentioned. They fit differently so you need to check how it sits your head. I've used both. I love the Bern for the liner and the ventilation. I love the Nutcase for the magnetic strap closure (I'm always forgetting to latch the helmet when I leave a store after a quick stop and I can do the magnets one-handed while riding). Also, you can pick up a Giro Sutton MIPS helmet for a very reasonable price and they are imo nice looking. Did not fit my zippy-the-pin-head very well or I 'd have one. Better for normal sized heads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.