Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody dislike sponsors and logos on bikes, clothing?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anybody dislike sponsors and logos on bikes, clothing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 05:56 PM
47p2

Bikes: N+1+1+1+1+1 etc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^ Unfortunately not found a product capable of removing the tyre branding without damaging the rubber
Old 11-08-16, 05:56 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 47p2
Decals/logos on bicycle wheels are too big, too bold, too loud for my liking so I remove them. The problem comes when some of the logos are painted onto the rim or clear-coated/lacquered

Dolan Navigator, before... The logo is a cheap vinyl sticker which is easily removed

After

American Classic 420 Aero, before & after... The logo is painted on and it took 2 days to remove with paint thinners, Farecla, polish.

Fulcrum Racing 7 before... The logo is of a higher quality vinyl sticker than the Dolan wheels above, but still easily peeled off

After
nice improvements. the wheels look so much better post-decal removal
Old 11-08-16, 05:59 PM
47p2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
nice improvements. the wheels look so much better post-decal removal
Thanks idiotekniQues, I think so too, but I fear my psychologist may disagree with me/us...NURSE!!!
Old 11-08-16, 06:03 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks idiotekniQues, I think so too, but I fear my psychologist may disagree with me/us...NURSE!!!
Then time to find a new shrink!

You definitely put some time into it with the paint thinner. But it was well worth it. I probably won't be able to buy wheels for another 10 months or so but I started looking around. They are some of the worst offenders of over the top branding. Easy to remove branding would be on my list of criteria for sure. Or I would just send them to you for a small fee and you could figure out a way to make them sleek!
Old 11-08-16, 06:21 PM
47p2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The reason I spent 2 days on the American Classic wheels was the logo was the wrong colour for the frame they were going on

Not my bike but the exact same frame with American Classic wheels

and my bike with the wheel logo removed

Last edited by 47p2; 11-08-16 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Editing post
Old 11-08-16, 06:28 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gweedo1
So, what about team sweaters/jerseys? Does that offend people too? I mean hockey teams and football teams and basketball teams and baseball teams. Is wearing a favorite players jersey free advertising for the player/club, or does it make a statement about the person wearing it, as in he/she is a fan of the sport and the player, and just what is wrong with that?

Scheez, if a bicycle or a jersey or whatever has too many logos on it, don't buy it. But if others like to be rolling bill boards, because they like the products, and affiliate/identify themselves with it, then so what? They are not providing free advertising for the products as much as saying "I'm a fan", and what's wrong with that?

If cycling does one thing for people other than improve their fitness, it allows them to be colourful...it gives them a certain freedom to be somebody else for short while. I don't wear spandex or neon colours to work, nor is my mundane vehicle painted in bright colours with big logos, because in those activities, I prefer to be conservative. But when I'm cycling, I can dress how I like and if that's colourfully, then so be it. And part of the colourfulness, is big, bright logos. So why compare cycling to any thing else, and put restrictions on what people choose to wear/ride when cycling is an activity that allows you to be if not sets you free from the mundane?

If you don't like the size of the logos on the bike you want, then get it painted. Easy. Just take pictures of it so when you go to sell it, people will appreciate it for what it is.

Scheez..too many "rules" of what's cool or what's not. Just ride your ride and don't worry about what the other guy's riding/wearing.
Best post ever . This is what I see on the road these days : black bike , clothes , shoes , helmet . How boring is that . I , on the other hand , is a big fan of rolling billboard . Head to toe in Mapei team kit , Mapei color bike .
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The reason I spent 2 days on the American Classic wheels was the logo was the wrong colour for the frame they were going on
American Classic are really the worst with logos. The entire wheel and a mix of red/white/black, it tends to clash with everything, and they always cover the entire wheel.
mc9000

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er (2010), Charge Plug (2015)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
Then time to find a new shrink!

You definitely put some time into it with the paint thinner. But it was well worth it. I probably won't be able to buy wheels for another 10 months or so but I started looking around. They are some of the worst offenders of over the top branding. Easy to remove branding would be on my list of criteria for sure. Or I would just send them to you for a small fee and you could figure out a way to make them sleek!
Yeah, I've got to chime in also: those tires/rims look so much better now. Great job!
Old 11-08-16, 06:29 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just in case I was to forget which bike I'm on, my Merckx has
2 Merckx decals on the fork
3 Merckx decals on the down tube
2 Merckx decals on the seat tube
2 merckx decals on the chain stays
2 San Remo 76 decals on the fork
3 San Remo 76 decals on the top tube
2 san Remo 76 decals on the chain stays
1 San Remo 76 decal on the downtube

And it doesn't bother me one bit.
Old 11-08-16, 06:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
The reason I spent 2 days on the American Classic wheels was the logo was the wrong colour for the frame they were going on....
Is there a smiley for OMG? Maybe someone hitting himself on the forehead?

BTW - I'll never say anything again when Deb complains that she cant find shoes that match.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-08-16, 07:12 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Logos painted over anodized aluminum wheels can be removed with paint stripper. It won't affect the anodization, but I would remove the tires.
Old 11-09-16, 07:51 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Just ride your ride and don't worry about what the other guy's riding/wearing.
Who here is showing worry about what others ride or wear? Everyone is just stating their personal preference, or unconcern over the entire matter.

Originally Posted by OwenMeany
I find it interesting that so many here "hate" such persons and seem to enjoy vilifying them for their choices.... .
Hate? Who would that be? Quote please.

Just because people post that THEY dislike the overdone logo look for themselves, does't mean they care one bit what others sport. If others like it, good for them!
Old 11-09-16, 08:47 AM
47p2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't give a hoot what other folk ride or wear, be their choice team kit, dark colours/high-vis, massive decals/logos. It's their money to spend/do with on whatever they like and good on them for whatever their choice. I just don't like the look of oversized logos on my rims and more so when they cause a colour clash as in the American Classic wheels on my track bike. So why did I not just buy another set of wheels in the correct colour? Well I could have done but the Aero 420s and a great wheelset that are light and durable so I choose them and removed the logos.

This wheelset arrived today, the logos are IMO acceptable, they don't overpower the look of the wheel and I've no intention of removing them (yet)

Old 11-09-16, 09:08 AM
shafter

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Just in case I was to forget which bike I'm on, my Merckx has
2 Merckx decals on the fork
3 Merckx decals on the down tube
2 Merckx decals on the seat tube
2 merckx decals on the chain stays
2 San Remo 76 decals on the fork
3 San Remo 76 decals on the top tube
2 san Remo 76 decals on the chain stays
1 San Remo 76 decal on the downtube

And it doesn't bother me one bit.
Wow, me too! Mine says:

Giant 28 times
Aluxx 2 times
Defy 8 times
Shimano 6 times
105 4 times
Continental 1 time
Old 11-09-16, 11:09 AM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Who here is showing worry about what others ride or wear? Everyone is just stating their personal preference, or unconcern over the entire matter...
Umm...ya...that would be the OP who is put out when he is confronted with logo laden bikes and gear when he goes to the LBS. It bothers him...that there are bikes and gear out there that he doesn't agee with..and is looking for like minded people to commiserate with.

If he wasn't worried about what "others" ride and wear, he wouldn't be bothered to the point of looking for support.

Ride your own ride, and don't worry about what others like.
Old 11-09-16, 11:28 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I doubt anyone worries or really cares much. But It is a legit beef, if a minor one, to some extent. And it passes the time on a forum littered with dead hoeses.

I have the choice not to wear clothes that loudly advertise product. But every bike mfg insists on loud, race-car-like graphics, most of tem look a little silly. One would appreciate a bit of understatement once in a while. The Classic guys appreciate that.

Last edited by bargeon; 11-09-16 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-09-16, 11:30 AM
mc9000

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er (2010), Charge Plug (2015)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Umm...ya...that would be the OP who is put out when he is confronted with logo laden bikes and gear when he goes to the LBS. It bothers him...that there are bikes and gear out there that he doesn't agee with...
Nope. From my post: "Anyone consciously try to steer away from bikes or attire that is plastered with company branding?"

I was just curious to see if there were others, like me, who aren't partial to that "Nascar" look. Anything that may have come across as "I don't agree with certain bikes and attire -- they bother me!" was not intended.
Old 11-09-16, 11:54 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Decals/logos on bicycle wheels are too big, too bold, too loud for my liking so I remove them. The problem comes when some of the logos are painted onto the rim or clear-coated/lacquered

Dolan Navigator, before... The logo is a cheap vinyl sticker which is easily removed
After

American Classic 420 Aero, before & after... The logo is painted on and it took 2 days to remove with paint thinners, Farecla, polish.

Fulcrum Racing 7 before... The logo is of a higher quality vinyl sticker than the Dolan wheels above, but still easily peeled off

After

I agree on the looks. My wheels all have fairly modest, reasonable decals so I haven't removed them (yet).

I'm wondering though, for the weight weenies among us - did you get a measurement of how much those decals weighed (per set?) I'm thinking if they were an ounce, a lot of people would see a 30 gram weight loss to be a inordinately good thing!

Originally Posted by mc9000
Nope. From my post: "Anyone consciously try to steer away from bikes or attire that is plastered with company branding?"

I was just curious to see if there were others, like me, who aren't partial to that "Nascar" look. Anything that may have come across as "I don't agree with certain bikes and attire -- they bother me!" was not intended.
I'm the same way - I personally really dislike company logos on my jerseys, and don't wear them. Over the years, I've been given overstock pro jerseys and bibs from a friend who has a "connection", and although the quality is absolutely top notch, I just didn't like the look and passed them on. I go a step further and am somewhat judgemental on those who do wear logo'd jerseys that aren't for the team they're actually on. It's just to brassy and clownish for my taste, but I get it, just like the pro sports fans who wear fan gear. But those fans aren't being athletic about it like cyclists, so there's that.

I am happy to wear my clubs' jersies (one of which has two discrete sponsor logos on the arms to reduce the cost ... which I disagreed with soliciting at the time), and will wear state or bike shop jerseys if I've had fun related to the state or shop, and company jerseys for things I like - beer brand, jeresys from the colleges my kids went to, but my go to are just good quality plain jerseys and black, gray or dark blue shorts.

I've got a friend who has the same connection to the pro team stuff. His only criterion for wearing bibs and jerseys are (1) that they were free (2) stuff that fits and is comfortable, and (3) whatever happens to be clean at the time. So he'll wear incredibly clashing colors - one team's shorts, another's jersey. But he doesn't care at all, and hes' my favorite riding partner, so I don't care either!

As for equipment: I'd have to say, i don't specifically avoid over-logo'd frames, wheels, etc. but prefer the more spare aesthetic. So far the bikes I like just have reasonably normal branding, which is what I prefer. My "standard" for frame branding aesthetics is a name on the down tube and seat tube, maybe a discrete model name on the top tube, more or less a modern graphics version of the way older steel bikes were branded. I definitely don't gravitate toward the huge logo'd bike frames and forks where every square inch is covered with branding.

Last edited by Camilo; 11-09-16 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-09-16, 11:57 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Funny part is that, for several reasons, you can barely read the logos on a bike when it's moving anyway. I drive past a guy on a bike and my wife asks me what kind of bike it was - I couldn't tell because the logos were too stylized, or not contrasty enough, or they were going roundy-round on the rims.

Simple answer is that if you don't like the look, don't buy the product. Somebody else might. If nobody buys it, the manufacturer might get the message.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 11-09-16, 12:39 PM
47p2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I'm wondering though, for the weight weenies among us - did you get a measurement of how much those decals weighed (per set?) I'm thinking if they were an ounce, a lot of people would see a 30 gram weight loss to be a inordinately good thing!
I'm not a weight weenie so no I didn't make the effort to weigh the decals, but thanks for bringing that question up as I'll mention it to my psychologist at our next session
Old 11-09-16, 12:44 PM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mc9000

Hmmm...seems to me this...

"but I'm reminded of this whenever I visit a shop and see logos plastered on everything. Upon seeing this, part of me thinks:

"Let me get this straight -- you want me to pay for your stuff and advertise your company?"

...means you are bothered by what other people are using/riding/wearing, because you are "reminded" of zealous logo use that's not to your liking, and... that you also feel people who ride/wear/use logo festooned products, are suckers/fools, unlike you, who will no be "used" by the manufacturers for free advertising because, oh, I don't know, you're too smart?

Sorry, but you come across as a snob who thinks his taste is better than others.
Old 11-09-16, 12:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Is there a smiley for OMG?

I actually had to look. Seems like "EEK!" is the closest:

Old 11-09-16, 01:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Getting back to the OP's topic, namely clothing... Which manufacturers offer minimally or lightly branded clothes and jerseys which don't have the NASCAR look?

Isadore, Ornot and Morvelo are some of my favorites.

There are also Search & State, Twin Six, Rapha, MAAP and Danny Shane.

I realize that these are not for everyone but what else is out there?

-Tim-
Old 11-09-16, 01:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Shop Premium Cycling Apparel Cycling Apparel Basics Collection by Voler
Old 11-09-16, 07:01 PM
shafter

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=

.[/QUOTE]

Breaking News! I have recently discovered that decals weigh 3 grams per set, or 1.5 per wheel. (Don't ask me how I know!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.