Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Camera Backpack: Manfrotto Advanced Active Backpack

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-25-16, 01:39 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts

I'm considering this backpack from Manfrotto for my mirrorless outfit. I need this for day cycling to carry a Fuji XT-2 and two small lenses. The capacity fits my needs, but I'm curious if anyone has actually cycled with it. Is it comfortable?

Also considering this alternative:

https://store.lowepro.com/photo-hatchback-bp-150-aw-ii

Thank you

Last edited by Robert A; 11-25-16 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-25-16, 03:54 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
I'm considering this backpack from Manfrotto for my mirrorless outfit. I need this for day cycling to carry a Fuji XT-2 and two small lenses. The capacity fits my needs, but I'm curious if anyone has actually cycled with it. Is it comfortable?

Photo Hatchback BP 150 AW II Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

Thank you
Think Tank
Old 11-25-16, 04:16 PM
Robert A

Originally Posted by one4smoke
Think Tank
Please elaborate.
Old 11-25-16, 06:18 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Please elaborate.
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/pages/backpacks
Old 11-25-16, 06:32 PM
Robert A

Again, can you elaborate why Thinktank? Why do you prefer them, which one do you use, and for which camera gear?

Old 11-25-16, 06:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

Thank you
It looks like both backpacks you linked are way overkill to fit 1 body and 2 small lenses? At least one of what you linked is also made for a laptop. If this photo is scaled correctly, you could seemingly be looking for much smaller options. This is the BP150 you linked

Old 11-25-16, 07:04 PM
Robert A

You're absolutely right. There's also this:
https://www.manfrotto.us/manfrotto-m...ackpack-medium

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It looks like both backpacks you linked are way overkill to fit 1 body and 2 small lenses? At least one of what you linked is also made for a laptop. If this photo is scaled correctly, you could seemingly be looking for much smaller options. This is the BP150 you linked

Old 11-25-16, 07:29 PM
one4smoke

Again, can you elaborate why Thinktank? Why do you prefer them, which one do you use, and for which camera gear?
Having been in photography the last 30 years or so, I have tried Tamrac, Lowe Pro, Think Tank, Tenba and others for bags and backpacks. IMHO, Think Tank provides the most bang for your buck. Quality, practicality, durability, and they're user friendly.

Have this one among others: https://www.thinktankphoto.com/colle...s/streetwalker
Old 11-26-16, 02:27 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I have an Olympus OM-D mirrorless setup. I see no need for a camera specific backpack to cycle with. I have a soft neoprene cover for my camera body with a lens on it, and then pouches for my other lenses.

This allows you to now use any messenger bag or any decent sized cycling specific backpack for your camera gear. This would be tougher with large DLSR gear, but because we are mirrorless users it's the best way. Now you have a bag that serves multiple purposes vs just a camera specific bag. My TimBuk2 works on rides, grocery runs, and just general messenger bag carry - with or without camera gear. And since it's designed for bike riding, it just makes more sense really. And since it's a messenger, it's easy to stop and access the bag's contents without taking off a backpack. Making it easier than a backpack to stop, grab your camera, and take a quick shot.

My camera pouch is this one, by OpTech: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Medium lens pouch: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also use a large pouch for one lens.

My TimBukTwo large messenger bag or Osprey Cycling Backpack both work well as camera luggers now.

I used to have multiple pieces of think tank gear for years. Love their stuff. I used to get a lot of their stuff when I worked for a photography workshop, for free. I sold all of it a little bit after switching to mirrorless. I know they make mirrorless-specific packs now but never saw a need.

Now the only camera specific bags I have are 1 medium and 1 small Tenba shoulder bag. I never use them anymore though ever since I started using those pouches. I shoot multiple days a week as a pro real estate photographer and used the Tenba's all the time. Now I just use my TimBuk2 on every gig. In the summer I ride my bike to many gigs as well.

Last edited by idiotekniQues; 11-26-16 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 02:58 PM
Robert A

Thanks of the suggestions. The Osprey Cycling Backpack is a good direction to explore further.
Old 11-26-16, 03:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Most working pros I know also recommend Think Tank. These folks have tried everything and know what works.

But I'm not a working pro so I'm satisfied with my LowePro, Domke and Beseler bags. I hate backpacks, wouldn't use one. But if you're a serious wildlife photographer and need to carry long lenses you don't have much choice. I do mostly casual candid snaps, street and documentary photography, so I rarely carry anything longer than a 105/2.5 AI Nikkor.

My current bicycling camera bag is an Agu Qyoto 820 KF handlebar bag with KlickFix adapter. Snagged it for $20 during a recent half price sale. I needed a rain resistant bag and Agu makes bags for the Netherlands market so hopefully it'll do.

All the other weatherproof bike bags were roll tops, not handy for quick access. The Agu is a canteen bag with a semi-rigid body and lid that opens away from the rider while seated. The lid is retained by a pair of elastic straps that hook across a couple of studs. It's designed almost exactly like my 20 year old Beseler canteen bag, right down to accepting the padded compartments from my old Beseler bag. It's just modified for bike use. Perfect for my needs -- assuming it really turns out to be weatherproof. We'll see this week since we're expecting rain.

Last edited by canklecat; 11-26-16 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 03:37 PM
idiotekniQues

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks of the suggestions. The Osprey Cycling Backpack is a good direction to explore further.
Osprey is awesome. So well made and a bombproof warranty.

I have the Raptor 10 and the Manta 36. The number in the name is the amount of liters it carries. Each are made in multiple sizes. Both are hydration pack compatible. The Manta is hiking/cycling specific and the Raptor is more cycling specific. But on the Osprey website there are other options like the Radial series. It's newer and cycling specific with helmet carrying system, u-lock sleeve, rear taillight hook and kickstand. No hydration sleeve it seems.

The Raptor and Radial have an awesome external helmet carrying system, but with the helmet attached to the Raptor pack it makes compartment access difficult. In those cases just clip the helmet somewhere else. On the Radial it looks like the helmet mount still allows access to the main compartment even with a helmet attached from the picture. I am really digging the Radial now that I see it. **** I can't spend the money lol These bags ain't cheap.

My OM-D EM-1 or EM-5ii fits in the raptor 10 with a lens attached, and room for 1-2 lenses and not much room for too much else. Probably better getting something bigger. The Manta 36 size allows for more flexibility.

If you are going to be doing a lot of lens changes you may want to go camera specific, as it's a bit faster when the lenses are lined up like soldiers for you ready to go vs floating around in a pouch. But if you aren't changing lenses all the time, I don't see much benefit. Then go cycling specific. Just my two cents.
Old 11-26-16, 06:11 PM
yak bacon pie
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking for an action sports photo pack that will drastically increase the amount of photos you make (due to ease of camera deployment), look no further than the Midnshift 180 line.
Old 11-26-16, 06:20 PM
Robert A

I like the idea of the Raptor 10. Seems lightweight enough for my 10-20 mile rides around town. I will look at other sizes and models as well. I'm curious how exactly you get the camera in and out of the backpack.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
Osprey is awesome. So well made and a bombproof warranty.

I have the Raptor 10 and the Manta 36. The number in the name is the amount of liters it carries. Each are made in multiple sizes. Both are hydration pack compatible. The Manta is hiking/cycling specific and the Raptor is more cycling specific. But on the Osprey website there are other options like the Radial series. It's newer and cycling specific with helmet carrying system, u-lock sleeve, rear taillight hook and kickstand. No hydration sleeve it seems.

The Raptor and Radial have an awesome external helmet carrying system, but with the helmet attached to the Raptor pack it makes compartment access difficult. In those cases just clip the helmet somewhere else. On the Radial it looks like the helmet mount still allows access to the main compartment even with a helmet attached from the picture. I am really digging the Radial now that I see it. **** I can't spend the money lol These bags ain't cheap.

My OM-D EM-1 or EM-5ii fits in the raptor 10 with a lens attached, and room for 1-2 lenses and not much room for too much else. Probably better getting something bigger. The Manta 36 size allows for more flexibility.

If you are going to be doing a lot of lens changes you may want to go camera specific, as it's a bit faster when the lenses are lined up like soldiers for you ready to go vs floating around in a pouch. But if you aren't changing lenses all the time, I don't see much benefit. Then go cycling specific. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Robert A; 11-26-16 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-27-16, 02:35 AM
idiotekniQues

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I like the idea of the Raptor 10. Seems lightweight enough for my 10-20 mile rides around town. I will look at other sizes and models as well. I'm curious how exactly you get the camera in and out of the backpack.

Thank you for the suggestion.
I tend to use my TimBuk2 when using the camera. I just prefer a messenger style pack for easy access.

With the Raptor 10 I put my spare tube in first, maybe my arm warmers or a spare t-shirt depending upon temp, then the spare lens, then the camera. This way I just unzip the main compartment and the camera is there first for me to take out. I don't button down the camera pouch, this way I can just slide it out easily. It takes a slight bit more finagling to get it back in the pouch.

Honestly now that I am thinking about it, the camera pouch is almost extraneous, barring a crash. That saves a step. I haven't crashed yet, knock on wood.
Old 11-27-16, 10:50 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well hopefully Osprey has fixed the issues with their bladders. I have one of their backpacks and love it. But I've had issues with 3 bladders leaking because the lid system is not that good. You don't want it ruining your camera gear.
Old 11-27-16, 12:51 PM
Robert A

With a messenger style bag, how do you keep it from interfering with your legs and arms?
Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
I tend to use my TimBuk2 when using the camera. I just prefer a messenger style pack for easy access.

With the Raptor 10 I put my spare tube in first, maybe my arm warmers or a spare t-shirt depending upon temp, then the spare lens, then the camera. This way I just unzip the main compartment and the camera is there first for me to take out. I don't button down the camera pouch, this way I can just slide it out easily. It takes a slight bit more finagling to get it back in the pouch.

Honestly now that I am thinking about it, the camera pouch is almost extraneous, barring a crash. That saves a step. I haven't crashed yet, knock on wood.
Old 11-27-16, 12:59 PM
idiotekniQues

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
With a messenger style bag, how do you keep it from interfering with your legs and arms?
There is a stabilizing cross strap on most bike specific messenger bags which keeps them in place while riding and from moving about your back.
Old 11-27-16, 01:13 PM
idiotekniQues

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
the cross-strap
Old 11-27-16, 02:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lowe Pro Camera Fanny Pack inside a Small Ortlieb Rack Pack , hauled my 35mm film camera gear, Dry

on my wet Irish Bike, Tour 20 years ago. Shoulder sling strap to carry it off the bike ..

Cycling wearing a back pack in General is not 'comfortable'..

Consider a Porteur rack, or basket and put your pack in it, Off Your Back , when On the bike .

Particularly where it is so Hot, like LA Cal.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-29-16 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-27-16, 05:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I don't even like small bags on my back and shoulders while riding. I've tried backpacks, sling bags. They're convenient for getting off and on the bike quickly if you have lots of stops. But the convenience wasn't worth the discomfort -- but I have chronic back and neck pain from injuries. I know several folks locally who wear backpacks and bladder packs on every ride, even short casual group rides, and seem comfortable with that.

One of my few reservations about the Agu handlebar bag I just got recently was whether the Klickfix mount was secure enough for some moderately rough trails. I like the Klickfix for quick on/off convenience.

Apparently it's good, though. Saturday I loaded up the bag with my Nikon mirrorless kit and some extra electronics (external USB battery, etc.) and took a 20 mile ride that included a bumpy gravel/chat trail and some moderate off road riding on open fields. The only glitch occurred after hitting a downhill rutted section with soft sand/pea gravel fill. The Agu bag flipped upside down toward me but didn't pop open or come off the handlebar, and it didn't interfere with controlling the bike. I just tipped it back into place. But for future rides I'll add a small bungee cord beneath the bag and around the stem to prevent flipping.

For a full photo kit that needs a backpack -- including long telephotos, zooms and flash or other lighting gear -- I'd look for something that can be rack mounted securely, clipped on and off quickly, and is weatherproof.
Old 11-29-16, 12:39 PM
idiotekniQues

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
If you are going the TimBuk2 Route they have a serious sale going on today. The Especial Messenger is on sale from $179 to $129 or $89 depending on color. The standard messenger bags are pretty much half off depending on color and style.
Old 11-29-16, 02:15 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Thank you
Of course you are riding a fixie...
Old 11-29-16, 04:51 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Think Tank
Ditto on Think Tank bags, they are the best. I have used a Shapeshifter bag for some years now, and having used many bags over the years (I have done a lot of shooting and traveling) there is none better. It can be collapsed to a smaller size than Lowepro bag in the photo, or expanded enough to carry enough gear for work. For heavier loads, I can fit a Klattermusen waist band which puts the weight on my hips. Think Tank bags are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Old 11-30-16, 07:40 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I was a pro photog for a number of years and still do most of my own shooting for articles as well as occasional commissions. I've also ridden a few thousand miles in a variety of countries with camera stuff, mostly DSLR but also some Mirrorless (Nikon 1). I can tell you my experience but that may be worthless as your needs/desires may be very different.

I've owned about 40 - 50 bags. I've found Domke & Thinktank consistently the best quality, most durable, and most functional. My wife has an small ONA Bowry for her Nikon 1 (10-30, 30-100, 70-300, filters, charger, speedlight, etc.) that she really likes as it's compact and everything is easily accessible. The only other bag is a Moose Peterson for extra long (600, 800) lenses.

I generally hate carrying stuff on my back or shoulders while riding — except for a camera. Besides it being uncomfortable, hot, and sweaty, I've also found it cumbersome to use. I very often do carry a body + 24-70 on a Blackrapid strap though. Everything else goes in a front or rear basket or pannier. A tiny bit of locktite on the BR fastener is a good idea, enough to keep it from unscrewing but not so much that you can't remove it when needed. The BR safety tether is a good alternative for security. My son accidentally dropped a week old D5 and cracked it when his fastener came unscrewed so I'm more secure conscious than ever now. BTW, I think there will be something cool coming from RRS for securely and quickly attaching BR straps to their plates for those of use who don't trust the B2-FABN or QD :-)

Last edited by CrankyOne; 11-30-16 at 07:51 AM.