Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 06:24 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
So your tactic is to hope they believe your misinformation?
I haven't had to resort to the "hope" part to date, because so far they always do believe me. Why wouldn't they?

Or at least, why wouldn't they get the hint even if they were skeptical of the reason?

Let's get real; what sort of anti-social dysfunctional misanthrope would you have to be to think that not only would it be a good idea to join a total stranger's paceline, but A) insisted on doing so after being told you weren't welcome; and B) used the excuse "These Are Public Roads!" to justify your doing so?

I'd yell at someone just for being an idiot if they took that approach.
Old 03-02-18, 07:14 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pickettt
So then, if while driving, you're being tailgated and the offender is pulled over, you can say, "Officer, it's okay, this person has been invited to tailgate, but that one doesn't." You think it works that way? By that rationale, pacelines on public roads should be prohibited.

Again, don't get me wrong, there are guys that i do not appreciate being on group rides, but you have no recourse.
No, I do not think it "works that way." I'm merely pointing out how the lines of thinking sort of cross here.

Personally, I don't think it's particularly rational to prohibit bikes from "tailgating" simply because they are "vehicles," but I do believe it is rational to prohibit people from harassing, stalking, invading the privacy of others and generally making a nuisance of themselves. One can have a "leg to stand on" in the sense of having a valid cause for complaint without anyone doing anything the cops would automatically pull them over for.

Last edited by kbarch; 03-02-18 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-02-18, 07:40 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Yay! This thread is back!
Old 03-02-18, 09:35 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11394 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 2,758 Posts
It never left.
Old 03-02-18, 09:57 PM
LAJ
So it is

Lewis Hamilton and his race-mates are all out for a practice run. You show up in your IndyCar, and decide to join in on the fun. Unfortunately, the engine and handling of the IndyCar just isn't quite as advanced as the pack you decided to join. Drafting practice was going on, and as the cars were wanting to see how they did further back in the wind and the buffeting, they would filter back on the left. The cars advancing would do so on the right side. Guys driving the Toro Rosso are able to hang with the pack, as long as the draft is there. You somehow work your way between them and the McLaren's leading the pack, and a gap opens. Once a gap opens, the Toro Rosso guys stand no chance to hang with the rest, so they hit their DRS, and go to your right, expecting you to filter back on their left, as is customary. You instead hit your push to pass,, realize it isn't helping you close the gap, and pull over to the right, which is the slow lane in your world... This is contrary to all that has been going on as you were trying to hang with the F1 one guys. Unfortunately, you were so busy doing everything you could to keep up, you had no time to take in the dynamics of the group.

Yelling ensued as they were climbing out of their junk cars.
Old 03-02-18, 11:54 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I bought some moisture wicking t-shirts for cycling at Walmart last night. As I was coming out of the store I could hear some guy yelling, even though my shirts were inside of a plastic bag. I thought to myself, "Ahhhhhhh! Cycling season is almost here!"
Old 03-03-18, 12:33 PM
Bikeracer123

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Roubaix Ultegra 2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Won’t be able to hear you as I drop you’re group
Old 03-03-18, 01:39 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by LAJ
Lewis Hamilton and his race-mates are all out for a practice run. You show up in your IndyCar, and decide to join in on the fun. Unfortunately, the engine and handling of the IndyCar just isn't quite as advanced as the pack you decided to join. Drafting practice was going on, and as the cars were wanting to see how they did further back in the wind and the buffeting, they would filter back on the left. The cars advancing would do so on the right side. Guys driving the Toro Rosso are able to hang with the pack, as long as the draft is there. You somehow work your way between them and the McLaren's leading the pack, and a gap opens. Once a gap opens, the Toro Rosso guys stand no chance to hang with the rest, so they hit their DRS, and go to your right, expecting you to filter back on their left, as is customary. You instead hit your push to pass,, realize it isn't helping you close the gap, and pull over to the right, which is the slow lane in your world... This is contrary to all that has been going on as you were trying to hang with the F1 one guys. Unfortunately, you were so busy doing everything you could to keep up, you had no time to take in the dynamics of the group.

Yelling ensued as they were climbing out of their junk cars.
Speaking of F1...

Goddamnit. I get the purpose, but $%$# me the halo is ugly.
Old 03-03-18, 09:13 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Speaking of F1...

Goddamnit. I get the purpose, but $%$# me the halo is ugly.
I agree. I do like the IndyCar solution better. The tall screen is much more pleasing to the eye.

Last edited by LAJ; 03-03-18 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 09:06 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by hazetguy
So how does one get yelled at in here? The thread paceline blew past me on the last page, so I’ll ask again: I’m looking for some new reading, and was wondering the op’s nom de plume so I can source their book(s). Anyone who can tell me? Please type in all caps, or the yelling effect won’t be fully realized. Thanks.
It looks like this is the one coming out shortly. All his book are very enjoyable reads.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Pro-...ds=Jamie+Smith
Old 03-04-18, 10:30 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

so how does one get yelled at in here? The thread paceline blew past me on the last page, so i’ll ask again: I’m looking for some new reading, and was wondering the op’s nom de plume so i can source their book(s). Anyone who can tell me? Please type in all caps, or the yelling effect won’t be fully realized. Thanks.
PHIL GAIMON HAS WRITTEN SOME ENJOYABLE BOOKS ON PRO CYCLING!!!!!!!!

You're welcome.
Old 03-06-18, 06:32 PM
EricT80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh no, a noodly armed spandex clad guy who weights 155lbs is going to yell!!! I couldn't imagine the intimidation that must cause haha.
Old 03-06-18, 07:41 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
155? Must be a sprinter.
Old 03-06-18, 09:01 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by pepem
155? Better be a sprinter.
ftfy
Old 03-09-18, 10:37 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
I was in a bike shop last week when the owner introduced me to a customer as "the guy who started the yelling thread". and the first thing he said was "Wow. I don't ever want to ride with YOU!"

Hell, I don't even want to ride with me.

So how does one get yelled at in here? The thread paceline blew past me on the last page, so I’ll ask again: I’m looking for some new reading, and was wondering the op’s nom de plume so I can source their book(s). Anyone who can tell me? Please type in all caps, or the yelling effect won’t be fully realized. Thanks.
I try to avoid shilling my books here because I don't want to be that guy. The first one is Roadie. You can go from there. Thanks! American Pro comes out in May. Hope you enjoy the reads.
Old 03-09-18, 10:43 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
I don't want to be that guy.
Isn't this thread 111 pages about you being "that guy"?

Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 04-30-18, 10:37 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Bumped for Tim.
Old 05-01-18, 06:48 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Bumped for Tim.
First, a word of thanks for bumping this thread as I hadn't seen it before. And, to Tim, for being the (unwitting) catalyst for it's revival. I'm now able to postpone my trip to the library for a good book to read.

I must say, with my caliber of riding, I know not of such words as 'pace line', 'wheel sucking', or any other language that suggests riding at more than a recreational pace. Having said that, I was on a charity ride once and a guy came up on my tail and rode there for a while and finally said "I hope you don't mind me drafting behind you". I was so tickled that ANYONE would find it useful to draft behind ME that I invited him to just draft to his heart's content ...
Old 04-16-19, 09:30 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
It looks like this is the one coming out shortly. All his book are very enjoyable reads.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Pro-...ds=Jamie+Smith
OK, you've had a whole year to read it. What did you think? Or are you still waiting to borrow a copy?
Old 04-16-19, 11:02 AM
BonkonFleet

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda sl6 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
No ego's
Yells at new riders
Pick one.
Old 04-16-19, 11:22 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by EventServices
OK, you've had a whole year to read it. What did you think? Or are you still waiting to borrow a copy?

That last purchase on Amazon? Yeah. That was me. So far, you are spot on though. When I'm in Zone 2 Endurance Ride Hell, I do dream of the bad ass bike racing team I would start when I won the lottery. Here I thought I was unique.

Huge apologies for letting it slip my mind. For that, you may yell at me.
Old 04-30-19, 10:26 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by LAJ
That last purchase on Amazon? Yeah. That was me. So far, you are spot on though. When I'm in Zone 2 Endurance Ride Hell, I do dream of the bad ass bike racing team I would start when I won the lottery. Here I thought I was unique.

Huge apologies for letting it slip my mind. For that, you may yell at me.
Well worth picking up!

I enjoyed the read immensely.
Old 04-30-19, 04:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I did something on the River Ride this past Saturday that should have gotten me yelled at: Got in over my head and was sitting 4th in line as we headed to the final sprint, and with about 250 to go, I just couldn't hold the wheel and allowed a gap to form. With my current fitness I really shouldn't have been that far up, even if I could have held the wheel I was at my limit and there's no way I could have sprinted for the line and I just would have been in the way. Rookie mistake made by a guy who's old enough to know better.
Old 04-30-19, 06:34 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I did something on the River Ride this past Saturday that should have gotten me yelled at: Got in over my head and was sitting 4th in line as we headed to the final sprint, and with about 250 to go, I just couldn't hold the wheel and allowed a gap to form. With my current fitness I really shouldn't have been that far up, even if I could have held the wheel I was at my limit and there's no way I could have sprinted for the line and I just would have been in the way. Rookie mistake made by a guy who's old enough to know better.
I like it, you're yelling at yourself!
Old 04-30-19, 06:58 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by caloso
You should have been yelling at them. How and why did they let you sneak up there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.