Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giant Composite Confidence

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 04:59 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts

Giant recently announced that if ANY composite component of a 2019 or later Giant bike is damaged while riding (you crash, you crack a rim on a pothole, you break your bars etc) they will repair it or replace it free of charge. The specifics of the coverage seem comprehensive, Giant even covers racing. No other brand is matching this kind of offer right now.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/co...idence_details

Note that this coverage is in addition to the already existing lifetime warranty on their bikes that covers any manufacturing defects.

Last edited by Hiro11; 05-09-19 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-09-19, 05:41 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Great deal, it's a bit like Hyundai and Kia cars that offer a long warranty on their cars, they perceive offering a better warranty is better than undercutting the prices of their competitors which might get their product perceived as inferior.

Compared to many brands Giant are an actual manfacturer with their own factories which are meant to be the most advanced and productive in the industry delivering a very high quality product. In comparison most western brands from the US and Europe are jumping between factories in the far east always trying to find the cheapest supplier so they can create a better margin or undercut their competitors. They can't really ever know the quality of the product to the same level so may have to be conservative with weight limits and warranties especially if they are importing particularly light frames. I see many importing brands using basic 6061 frames even at high prices where as Giant is offering more advanced 6011 aluminium frames. Making a 6061 frame weigh the same as 6011 is difficult and must surely end up with the frame being weaker.

Many of Giant's bikes offer a 160kg total load limit with a lifetime warranty and great customer service plus deliver a more advanced product than their competitors. I'm a bit of a cheapskate and often go for cheaper bikes and secondhand but if I was buying a higher price bike new I'd be surprised if it wasn't a Giant model.

We need someone to come into this thread and criticise Giant as it seems both posts so far are from their marketing department. Big fan of Giant bikes despite not owning one and my past Giant bike being the mad 'Revive' model that ended up being too embarrassing to ride so sold it. It was beautifully built though clearly from a company with high engineering standards.
Old 05-09-19, 08:07 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
That's awesome.

A lot better than Colnago's mere 2 year frame warranty.
Old 05-09-19, 08:12 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Great deal, it's a bit like Hyundai and Kia cars that offer a long warranty on their cars, they perceive offering a better warranty is better than undercutting the prices of their competitors which might get their product perceived as inferior.

Compared to many brands Giant are an actual manfacturer with their own factories which are meant to be the most advanced and productive in the industry delivering a very high quality product. In comparison most western brands from the US and Europe are jumping between factories in the far east always trying to find the cheapest supplier so they can create a better margin or undercut their competitors. They can't really ever know the quality of the product to the same level so may have to be conservative with weight limits and warranties especially if they are importing particularly light frames. I see many importing brands using basic 6061 frames even at high prices where as Giant is offering more advanced 6011 aluminium frames. Making a 6061 frame weigh the same as 6011 is difficult and must surely end up with the frame being weaker.

Many of Giant's bikes offer a 160kg total load limit with a lifetime warranty and great customer service plus deliver a more advanced product than their competitors. I'm a bit of a cheapskate and often go for cheaper bikes and secondhand but if I was buying a higher price bike new I'd be surprised if it wasn't a Giant model.

We need someone to come into this thread and criticise Giant as it seems both posts so far are from their marketing department. Big fan of Giant bikes despite not owning one and my past Giant bike being the mad 'Revive' model that ended up being too embarrassing to ride so sold it. It was beautifully built though clearly from a company with high engineering standards.

You mean like Hyundai and Kia engines that are seizing, and or catching fire?
Old 05-09-19, 08:21 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I wish my LBS was still open. I made myself a deal. If I ever dropped below 200# (from around 270#), I'd get a new road bike. I finally did it and the owner made me a deal that I couldn't refuse on a Giant TCR. It's a great bike and will last me many more years. If the TCR ever gives up the ghost, I'd certainly go to them again and now it looks like for good reason too.

I never used to be a Giant fan but their factory puts out some quality products.
Old 05-09-19, 08:52 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Giant has always claimed that their carbon was a cut above other brands. I guess this is them putting their money behind that claim. I would consider one were I in the market.
Old 05-09-19, 08:54 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Giant suffers from being perceived as the Honda Civic of bikes: reliable and practical but generic and hardly sexy. It's a shame because their bikes are often some of the best available in their given market.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 05-09-19, 09:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Guessing this means they're finding consumer resistance to buying carbon.
Old 05-09-19, 09:35 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Plus lots of online anecdotal hand-wringing like 'Crabon will assplode!" and "It's only a matter of time until it breaks; the clock is ticking!!"

I have two old aluminum bikes (1976 Bridgestone and 1996 Cannondale MTB) and a carbon-beamed 1997 Softride.

According to BF lore, there is so much destructive potential awaiting in my garage, that if there is an incident, you'll be able to see it from space.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 05-09-19, 10:43 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
The question is... does Chuck Norris ride carbon?
Old 05-09-19, 11:10 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
The question is... does Chuck Norris ride carbon?
He is carbon.
Likes For 86az135i:
Old 05-09-19, 11:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Plus lots of online anecdotal hand-wringing like 'Crabon will assplode!" and "It's only a matter of time until it breaks; the clock is ticking!!"

I have two old aluminum bikes (1976 Bridgestone and 1996 Cannondale MTB) and a carbon-beamed 1997 Softride.

According to BF lore, there is so much destructive potential awaiting in my garage, that if there is an incident, you'll be able to see it from space.
Yeah, I probably should have specified that's where I think they figure the resistance to carbon is coming from. It's a combination of being expensive and having a reputation for being brittle that just nixes it off a lot of people's list.

It's a guarantee that practically invites abuse. Giant must be seeing some disturbing sales trend if they're going to this.
Old 05-09-19, 11:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
I've got chunks of guys like Chuck Norris in my stool. Just sayin'.
Old 05-09-19, 11:23 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Although I do not ride carbon frames or forks, there is value there for the racer types. Having sold Giant bikes alongside two other big names and a couple of smaller names, I will offer this up for consumption. The Giant sales reps we dealt were simply fantastic people. They always treated us with first class service and fulfilled our requests in good order. Not once did they baulk at any warranty claims on any products be it as simple as a tube to something like a frame issue.

First class company. I cannot say this for the others.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-10-19, 08:14 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
So now the question becomes, "If Giant now has a lifetime, no questions asked warranty on their carbon frames, will they honor that same warranty for the carbon bikes they make for all the big brand bike makers?" Hmmmm! I doubt it.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-10-19, 08:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Probably they are in the race/crit crowd. And since Giant doesn't really make an alloy race bike, this may be their play to get more marketshare from this customer segment?
Old 05-10-19, 09:03 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
So now the question becomes, "If Giant now has a lifetime, no questions asked warranty on their carbon frames, will they honor that same warranty for the carbon bikes they make for all the big brand bike makers?" Hmmmm! I doubt it.
Why would they? There's nothing in it for them. If a Giant-manufactured Brand-X frame is replaced under warrantee, Brand-X gets the kudos and good PR, not Giant
Old 05-10-19, 09:11 AM
Hiro11

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
The Giant site says it is "2 year warranty" on Carbon frame.

No. I've literally provided a direct link to the offer in the original post.
Old 05-10-19, 09:17 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Why would they? There's nothing in it for them. If a Giant-manufactured Brand-X frame is replaced under warrantee, Brand-X gets the kudos and good PR, not Giant
Also, most, if not all of those frames are being manufactured to someone else's specs, not theirs. Just because a non-Giant company has a frame made by them at their facilities doesn't mean that it's the same as a Giant frame designed and built to their specs. Also, according to reports, Giant frames aren't even made or handled in the same areas as non-Giant frames.

Old 05-10-19, 11:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Probably they are in the race/crit crowd. And since Giant doesn't really make an alloy race bike, this may be their play to get more marketshare from this customer segment?

Why would they make it across the board, then?
Old 05-10-19, 11:45 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Hiro11

No. I've literally provided a direct link to the offer in the original post.
And your link has the following regarding the Composite Confidence offer (US only):

"Coverage is limited to the original owner within the first two years of ownership based on the original purchase date.
Claims must be made within the first 2 years of ownership."

OTOH, if you're talking about the regular warranty, it is lifetime (wear and tear not included of course).
Old 05-10-19, 11:46 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Why would they make it across the board, then?
Because there's more markup in selling 1 carbon frame than there is in selling 2 Alloy frames?
Old 05-10-19, 12:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Because there's more markup in selling 1 carbon frame than there is in selling 2 Alloy frames?
I think you misunderstood my question--maybe I wrote it badly. If it's just crit they're concerned with, why would they apply the new lifetime guarantee policy to all carbon frames?

Something is alarming them about people's attitudes towards carbon generally.
Old 05-10-19, 12:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And your link has the following regarding the Composite Confidence offer (US only):

"Coverage is limited to the original owner within the first two years of ownership based on the original purchase date.

OTOH, if you're talking about the regular warranty, it is lifetime (wear and tear not included of course).
By gum, you're right. I ask that all my posts on this thread be stricken from the record because I feel dumb.

This is a two-year buyer protection policy that they're building into the price. Doing that on a "lifetime" basis would have been nuts--good luck replacing a 15 year old carbon frame from stock. Bigger problem would likely have been people with 5 year old heavily used frames deliberately breaking them to get a replacement new one.
Old 05-10-19, 12:45 PM
Hiro11

Yes, I noted as much in my original post.

The poster said Giant if offering a "two year warranty on carbon frames". This is wrong in every way:

1. The offer is not a warranty. Product warranties have to do with failures of a product due to quality. In this case, Giant is offering to replace any composite component the user damages while riding, irrespective of product quality and regardless of how the product was damaged (including rider negligence).
2. As you note Giant already offers a lifetime warranty on their frames. This offer is in addition to their warranty. Using the term "warranty" in regards to this offer confuses this.
3. The offer specifically covers ALL composite components, not just the frame as was implied. Rims, bars, stems, seat posts, saddles... all covered.

The reason I'm being picky is because the details are important here. I worded my initial post carefully but I should have included the two year time limit for this offer, my mistake. I've seen this offer incorrectly discussed in other forums, on social media and in comment sections on articles reporting this. You can see the confusion in this thread. The post above similarly confuses the issue. People read this quickly and think this is Giant offering a two year warranty on frames, like many other manufacturers do. In fact, Giant is offering a unique and fairly comprehensive plan here in addition to an already very good frame warranty. This is what makes this news.

Last edited by Hiro11; 05-10-19 at 12:57 PM.
Likes For Hiro11:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.