Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Destroyer of Bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Destroyer of Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 06:23 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Destroyer of Bikes

Do you ever have that one friend who is hard on bikes and you don't know why it is or what s/he does but always there is some part or another that is either breaking down or in need of adjustment?
Old 07-29-19, 06:27 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Do you ever have that one friend who is hard on bikes and you don't know why it is or what s/he does but always there is some part or another that is either breaking down or in need of adjustment?
I've known a few people that are hard on bikes or anything they use. One in particular that I currently still know is a large person and has a combination of clumsiness and unawareness of their own strength. That person really needs an umbrella insurance plan to cover everything they break.
Old 07-29-19, 06:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
My color blindness makes it hard to see some obstacles on the road as there is very low contrast especially at high speed, so I think I run over more things than normal, I am literally "hell on wheels".
Old 07-29-19, 06:50 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
I’ve had quite a few friends, family & acquaintances that are like that. They will stomp on the cranks and push too high of gears leading to broken crankarms, or they will continue riding an out of adjustment bike that is clicking and making noises of protest, blowing off people who suggest they should pause for a moment to investigate the cause of the bad noise. These folks are not your folks who do their own wrenching. For whatever reason, they don’t really have the time or desire to know what minutia lies behind the cause of the malfunction. For them, this is why the LBS mechanic is who they trust most. To me that puts a lot of responsibility on a mechanic who may or may not remember your bike. I would prefer to dig deep myself to discern the why.
Old 07-29-19, 07:12 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
A buddy of mine is a destroyer but not because he is irresponsible. He used to trash rear wheels regularly because he thought being in the highest gear all the time was the only way to get any benefit from cycling. Once he learned that spinning and efficient use of gearing can be good too, his rear wheel problems are all but gone. Now, his problems are related to his hearing difficulties. Even with hearing aids, he can't hear the audible warnings coming from his bike. Can't fault him for that and he appreciates when I try to listen for him whenever we get a chance to ride together.
Old 07-29-19, 08:55 AM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I have one friend that seems to break something every couple of rides. I started carrying more than my usual multitask when he is along, and the most recent failure was his headset having about half an inch of play halfway through a century ride in the middle of nowhere.
Old 07-29-19, 08:56 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I used to be pretty rough on pedals and rear wheels. I'm not sure why. I'm not heavy and the roads around here are not that bad. Buying better replacement equipment has helped.
Old 07-29-19, 09:02 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I used to kid the neighbor across the street when he had his broken Honda Civic up on blocks repairing it again and again. I told him that he could break an anvil. I had a nice old steel Bianchi that got killed by a car. The frame was toast, so I got an aluminum Nashbar frame and transferred the parts from the busted Bianchi. It just wasn't the same, so I sold it to the neighborhood kid. He managed to a strip the BB threads, and break the aluminum seat post, neither of which ever gave me any problems. He's grown up now, and a father of twin girls. Hopefully he is done breaking things.
Old 07-29-19, 09:19 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Brother-in-law. Everything he owns is scratched, bent, or broken. Everything. Some people are like that.

-Kedosto
Old 07-29-19, 09:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I’ve had quite a few friends, family & acquaintances that are like that. They will stomp on the cranks and push too high of gears leading to broken crankarms, or they will continue riding an out of adjustment bike that is clicking and making noises of protest, blowing off people who suggest they should pause for a moment to investigate the cause of the bad noise. These folks are not your folks who do their own wrenching. For whatever reason, they don’t really have the time or desire to know what minutia lies behind the cause of the malfunction. For them, this is why the LBS mechanic is who they trust most. To me that puts a lot of responsibility on a mechanic who may or may not remember your bike. I would prefer to dig deep myself to discern the why.
This has been the subject of a bunch of threads, but I very much like to ride in the high gears, and am much less efficient spinning in lower gears. While it's true that I wear out different gears on the cassette, it does not cause problems with the cranks, which I put thousands of miles on with nary a problem. My chain may wear a little bit faster, but otherwise, I think that's nonsense.

Forty five years of riding like that, and I've never once broken a crank arm.
Old 07-29-19, 09:27 AM
Spinay70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
When someone other than myself breaks my stuff, I always notice it more.

Spinay70
Likes For Spinay70:
Old 07-29-19, 10:42 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I have a friend who is composed of 280 lbs of muscle waiting to explode. He bends handlebars, snaps chains, and rips derailleurs from their mounts. I have seen and repaired all of these and more. A beast, he.
Old 07-29-19, 11:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
I don't have any friends, so no.
Likes For indyfabz: