Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Gloves are such a difficult thing for me...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-16, 04:29 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts

I live in damp / wet and cold yet not super cold conditions. Gloves are always a pain for me. Either not warm enough or not waterproof. I recently found some Chilly Grips in my grocery store that are kinda interesting and v useful. I though I would share. They might work for some of your commutes and are very affordable.

https://buckyrides.com/2016/12/01/gl...illy-grip-h2o/
Old 12-10-16, 05:49 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice find!

I was in pain in the boat yesterday. My son soaked his gloves playing in the snow here yesterday, so I gave him my trusty Black Diamond winter gloves used for cycling and took my Friction Grip (thin, grippy, ultimate frisbee gloves) gloves from when I was in a wheelchair and used them. They were wet within minutes and then once I docked, tied up, loaded the bike, and started pedaling my fingers felt frozen and cold. It has been years since my fingers felt that cold and I was not happy.

So these may be a good solution to a second set of gloves to keep in my bag, now along with my son's second set.
Old 12-10-16, 05:53 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I have a pair of gore cycling gloves that I really like the weight and water/wind resistance/proofness of but they are poorly made, so the righthand one the layers are not attached, and when they get inverted, cannot get the finger layers lined back up again, so I have started snipping them away. There are at least 3 layers, yet they still total to a pretty thin and dextrous item. But I had to start cutting away the layers on the right hand. One layer I removed, and one layer often works, but often doesn't, so I just put my hand outside that one into the final layer. Then the glove is thick on top but that's not too bad.

Left hand is great though!
Old 12-10-16, 05:57 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
These should be more than adequate.

https://www.showerspass.com/products...int-wind-glove
Old 12-10-16, 07:38 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Nice find!

I was in pain in the boat yesterday. My son soaked his gloves playing in the snow here yesterday, so I gave him my trusty Black Diamond winter gloves used for cycling and took my Friction Grip (thin, grippy, ultimate frisbee gloves) gloves from when I was in a wheelchair and used them. They were wet within minutes and then once I docked, tied up, loaded the bike, and started pedaling my fingers felt frozen and cold. It has been years since my fingers felt that cold and I was not happy.

So these may be a good solution to a second set of gloves to keep in my bag, now along with my son's second set.
Sounds like a good idea.
Old 12-10-16, 07:45 PM
jbucky1

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
These should be more than adequate.

https://www.showerspass.com/products...int-wind-glove
Meh, pretty mediocre of a glove at least for where I am.

Jbucky
https://www.Buckyrides.com
Old 12-10-16, 07:47 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jbucky1
Meh, pretty mediocre of a glove at least for where I am.

Jbucky
Really? I have this pair and they have worked really well for me so far.
Old 12-10-16, 07:52 PM
jbucky1

@TenSpeedV2 - yeah I guess it all depends on the specifics of wet/ cold situations. They don't work that great where I am, not water resilient enough. Maybe your weather situation is different / better.

jbucky
Old 12-10-16, 08:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I've been using ski gloves. Those showers pass gloves look nice, but a bit expensive.

Boot Dryers are handy (and work with gloves). Or you could make a glove rack to go above forced air floor vents.

Several varieties available.

MaxxDry Silent Shoe and Boot Dryer-MX00206 - The Home Depot
Old 12-10-16, 08:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
My cold weather gloves of choice are my neoprene dive gloves. These come in various thicknesses and can keep your fingers toasty warm under just about any conditions.

One of their best virtues is that they're designed to provide insulation even when wet, and impervious to the effects of salt water.

The drawback is that they don'[t breath, and you can find yourself with wet wrinkly "dishpan" hands after riding for anything over an hour.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-10-16, 08:29 PM
jbucky1

@FBinNY yeah I think there are some benefits of Neoprene gloves also, I found that once my hands sweat a little, the sweat got cold very quickly due to the cold air on outside of glove, then it chilled the fingers. Maybe I was using ones that were too thin. I agree though up to an hour ride.

jbucky1
https://www.buckyrides.com
Old 12-10-16, 08:55 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I have a thick pair of Pearl Izumi softshell gloves with Primaloft insulation. They do the job well.
Old 12-10-16, 09:14 PM
jbucky1

Have you guys tried the Castelli Diluvio Gloves - the neoprene ones?

jbucky
Old 12-10-16, 10:00 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
We don't get enough cold rain to warrant specialized weatherproof cycling gloves. I've gotten by with a thin pair of flexible Bontrager Thermal RXL gloves for most cool rides, including a few in rain if it's not too chilly. I bought them slightly oversized to leave room for ski glove liners for a bit more warmth. The combination have been comfortable down to 39F.

I plan to ride more this winter so when Walgreen's recently stocked up on inexpensive winter wear I tried a bit of everything.

One great buy was a pair of $12 insulated gloves that looked and felt comparable to the winter weight Bontrager, Cannondale and other gloves I've tried at the LBS. The tag claimed the inexpensive generic gloves used Thinsulate, which has worked for me for years with other winter wear. I figured it was worth a shot and sure enough the inexpensive gloves were quite comfortable on a couple of recent rides when the ambient temp dipped to freezing and the wind chill was colder. The gloves are flexible enough to enable normal braking and shifting, and I fumbled only a little to operate my headlight and video camera switches without removing the gloves. My hands usually feel chilled too easily but never become painfully chilled with that unpleasant stinging sensation over 2-3 hours of riding in chilly weather. Definitely worth the $12. Only minor flaw was the finger and thumb patches indicating the gloves were touch screen compatible were for cosmetics only -- the gloves aren't touchscreen compatible. No matter, I don't need that feature.

But the best buy, and least expensive item, was women's tights at only $5, and the material felt comparable to the Pearl Izumis I tried recently but hem-hawed over because they were $50. Very comfortable fit, warm and more wind resistant than I'd expected when worn under my usual baggy shorts. With socks they don't look any different from cycling leggings and tights that aren't loaded up with graphics.

Other good Walgreen's buys including a rather plain but functional microfiber fabric scarf ($5), and springy ear warmers with plain black insulated fabric ($5) that don't interfere with my helmet.

The most expensive item was heavily insulated thermal socks made from two or three layers including microfiber fabric liner, at $14. Seemed a bit pricey but my toes often feel painfully cold and stiff when the temp dips below 40F, so it'll be worthwhile to me if it helps a bit with my walking and cycling shoes and boots. Over the years I've tried many other solutions including layered ski socks but nothing really helps my toes in cold weather. I probably should get some toe covers or shoe covers for winter cycling.
Old 12-10-16, 10:01 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Have you guys tried the Castelli Diluvio Gloves - the neoprene ones?

jbucky
Yes, their XXL is just barely big enough and they work great for me. When temps drop into the mid 40's F with rain, I put some wool gloves and/or open mittens over them and that works fine until we get to the mid 30's, at which point I improvise more layers. Below that, it's bound to be dry so the problem is solved.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
My cold weather gloves of choice are my neoprene dive gloves. These come in various thicknesses and can keep your fingers toasty warm under just about any conditions.

One of their best virtues is that they're designed to provide insulation even when wet, and impervious to the effects of salt water.

The drawback is that they don'[t breath, and you can find yourself with wet wrinkly "dishpan" hands after riding for anything over an hour.
The first pair of neoprene gloves I ever had I purchased at a fishing shop. I got the biggest size they had, but it was a bit too small for my hands. That really compromised their effectiveness. When they tore open, I found a dive shop that could make me a pair to fit.

Be sure to wash the gloves out with some soapy water after a sweaty ride unless you're into horribly smelly hands.
Old 12-14-16, 01:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
I've tried lots of different gloves though not all of the types of gloves people have recommended. There are so many kinds! So far, the best gloves for me are super-thin ski mittens. They are thin enough that I have a lot of dexterity. They are very roomy, and I wiggle my fingers in them as I ride to generate heat.

I would never have ordered these online the first time. I found them at Campmor. Then I lost one, so I ordered a second pair.

Gordini Men's Stash Lite Touch Mitts, $30

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-14-16, 02:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I live in damp / wet and cold yet not super cold conditions. Gloves are always a pain for me. Either not warm enough or not waterproof. I recently found some Chilly Grips in my grocery store that are kinda interesting and v useful. I though I would share. They might work for some of your commutes and are very affordable.

https://buckyrides.com/2016/12/01/gl...illy-grip-h2o/
That is a really great idea. My favorite cool weather gloves are Head running gloves I found at Costco for cheap. They are perfect for 55-40F dry conditions but don't do well in the wet. I will look for these Chilly Grips.
Old 12-14-16, 03:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

Question, can you get into pockets, esp jersey pockets while wearing them? If not, can you pull them off while riding and get them back on?

I've been using "chopper mitts", dearskin mittens with wool or pile inner mittens when colder for decades. They do get wet, but they are easy to take off and get back on, even with wet hands and riding. (Treating the leather with liberal amounts of SnoSeal helps a lot.)

Ben
Old 12-14-16, 03:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Question, can you get into pockets, esp jersey pockets while wearing them? If not, can you pull them off while riding and get them back on?

I've been using "chopper mitts", dearskin mittens with wool or pile inner mittens when colder for decades. They do get wet, but they are easy to take off and get back on, even with wet hands and riding. (Treating the leather with liberal amounts of SnoSeal helps a lot.)

Ben
I can barely manage the valves on my dive equipment when wearing gloves 5mm or thicker. In any case, it doesn't matter on the bike since I'm not wearing a jersey as the outer layer (or probably at all) when riding in weather cold enough to wear gloves that thick.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-14-16, 05:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
I can do some things with my mittens on, like go into pockets. I can even lift a coin off the ground. I can also remove a mitten with my mouth. Putting it on isn't much harder, and I've managed to do it while still riding and keeping one hand on the handlebar.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-15-16, 08:08 AM
Yttrium

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RXM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can only recommend bar mitts - if it's not too cold you can just use bar mitts without gloves to keep the wind and rain off.
Old 12-15-16, 08:43 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got at least 5 sets of gloves to wear in differing temperatures and other weather conditions. I prefer not to ride in the rain, but some of my warmer gloves are reasonably water resistant if I get caught in a shower. In the cooler seasons, I often carry an extra set of gloves while commuting because the weather is often very different during my morning and afternoon commutes. It is not unusual to have 30-degree swings in temperature between my morning and afternoon rides.

I generally wear Pearl Izumi Cyclone gloves in temperatures ranging from the 40s to low 60s. They are also reasonably water resistant. For colder temperatures in 20s and 30s, I wear Pearl Izumi Softshell gloves. In the teens and low 20s, I wear PI AmFibs. The AmFibs are the closest to being waterproof, but my hands sweat a lot in them if the temps get above freezing.
Old 12-16-16, 08:57 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
I like these unlined reflective strip leather gloves by Kinko: HI-VIS UNLINED GRAIN PIGSKIN LEATHER PALM - Kinco®
for our NW climate. Cheap, & available at Home Depot & other big box stores. Not totally waterproof, but take quite a while for wetness to be noticed. This style is easy on/off and flexible. They also make multiple styles of a lined glove that is great at subfreezing temps, but also much bulkier and has a knit wrist that slows the on/off. The unlined ones are getting harder to find though. Don
Old 12-16-16, 09:40 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
My fingers get cold easily. So I have a lot of different gloves.

Shell gloves and liners
For temperatures under 50F, I really like my Marmot shell gloves.

They are windproof / waterproof and somewhat breathable. I have 3 different glove liners in different weights, and use one or more liners. With the long cuffs, I don't get cold air leaking in the ends of my jacket sleeves. The shells are roomy, easy to pull on my hands.

The gloves have wrist tethers, so I can pull the gloves off and still have the liner glove on my hands for dealing with zippers, etc.

Liner gloves
The gloves dry out fast, and the liners can be washed separately. I've removed the liners and just wore the shells when the day warmed up.

The thinnest liners are also great under fingerless gloves on warmer days.

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-16-16 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-16-16, 06:27 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
I think glove choice really is dictated by how long, and what type of riding you're doing. For example:

Commuting:
-2 times a day
-1 hour each way in cold rain
-wear/bring 2 sets of liner gloves, 1 set of "waterproofs" outer gloves to dry in the office

Training:
-1 time session
-2 hour extended training in cold rain
-wear 1 pair of neoprenes which keep your hands warm despite not being fully waterproof

I don't think I've yet to find a "one glove fits all" (pun intended) solution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.