Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike clothing that works and is cost-effective

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 08:15 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts

I've been cycling for years and have a good bit of jerseys, shorts, etc but the stuff I wore decades ago obviously doesn't fit so I started buying new clothing this past March when I started my mission to get back into top form and lose weight.

Here are a few of my observations and I'd like to hear from others before I plunk down more money on other brands.

I REALLY like Endura Humvee mountain bike shorts and jerseys. These things are really high quality but a little more expensive than the competitors but I can wear the shorts around town to because they don't 'look' like mountain bike shorts. That makes them a good value to me. The jerseys are tough as nails to.

I REALLY like Santini long or short sleeve jerseys! They are made in Italy, are cost-effective, really high quality for what you pay and comfortable. I wear this on the road.

I like Voler jerseys and shorts. Seem to be good quality for the money but not quite on par in quality (or looks) compared to Santini but they are comfy.

You folks have any clothing that you particularly like that is high quality, comfy and a good value?

-

Last edited by drlogik; 12-24-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-24-16, 01:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
You've come to the right place. We have a couple of guys who are pretty obsessive about their wardrobes. They'll be along shortly.
Old 12-24-16, 01:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Seconding Voler.
Old 12-24-16, 01:30 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
As much as I'm not fond of Performance Bike, I like their Elite line of clothing. I feel it's as good as most of the clothing I've seen and it's a killer deal when it's on sale.

The shorts are kind of strange in that they don't have any grippers in the legs, but after riding in them for a while I find I prefer them over my Pearl Izumi Attack shorts.
Old 12-24-16, 02:09 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once needed a solid color jersey and found it here on Corbah. I was really shocked with the quality build and material of this jersey

I have quite a few different jerseys, including Hincapie and Voler. The Corbah is by far the best made.

Solid | Corbah
Old 12-24-16, 02:26 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I like Primal Wear jerseys and Sugoi and De Marchi bibs.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-24-16, 03:05 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
On short rides, I just use shorts instead of bibs. I have Assos but I think that padding is not as good as the newer Italian design, variable density padding.

The Italian company is Dolomiti and they use the term: sublimation to describe the variable density pad.
Old 12-25-16, 11:29 AM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
All of my shirts come from the local charity shop. Occasionally I'll find a cycling shirt but mostly I just use hi-tech T-shirts. They always have a great assortment of charity or sponsored race/run shirts, usually brand new and made by New Balance or Adidas. Usually $2.99. There is a well known marathon run near here and I have a nice collection of their shirts.
Old 12-25-16, 11:44 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Bontrager Solstice Jersey. Simple Jersey, relaxed fit, relatively subdued graphics. High quality material. Because of the generous cut it can be thrown over a long sleeve base layer, but under a windbreaker on those on between days where you might need to shed layers as the day goes on.

And, because so many Trek dealers carry them, the Solstice Jersey is a bargain when you can find them in clearance at $25 or so, which is less than what a tech T costs at a sporting goods store.

Though I have other jerseys that are more colorful, the Solstice is a staple of my cycling wardrobe as I have 5 of them in different colors.

Also, a shout out to Craft base layers, which seem a cut above other brands of base layers. Though I own other base layers, I prefer Craft. I have 1 short sleeve and 2 long sleeve base layers from Craft.
Old 12-25-16, 12:53 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have several Craft pieces (bib tights, jacket, jersey) and am very impressed with the quality and comfort. On sale Craft is probably a great bargain.
Old 12-25-16, 01:35 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
You folks have any clothing that you particularly like that is high quality, comfy and a good value?
Last season's new custom program size samples and team left overs. I have a bunch of Louis Garneau jerseys which were $15-$35 and a 2013 United Healthcare Voler thermal jersey which set me back $19 (not $89 regular priced or $75 on sale).

Otherwise Voler is good, especially during their sales. They put great Elastic Interface Technology (the same company that makes Assos and Rapha pads) chamois in some of their shorts ($100-$120) and bibs (add $20).

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-25-16 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-25-16, 07:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
For affordable casual under wear in wicking fabric it's hard to beat Champion boxer/briefs and long sleeve pullovers. Depending on the weather I'll wear the Champion long sleeve pullover as a baselayer, over a snug-fitting Pearl Izumi baselayer, or -- today, when it was 70F and windy -- as an outerwear shirt. Prices range from $8-$16 on Amazon, depending on color and vendor. I put a few on my wishlist and check the prices once in awhile for discounts.

There are probably other good values but I'm satisfied with Champion after following up on another bike forums member's advice. The boxer/briefs are particularly good, so comfortable I don't wear my three pairs of tight bike shorts anymore. With padded saddles I don't need the chamois or faux-chamois padding, and the thin but tough Champion fabric wicks more efficiently and dries quicker in muggy weather or rain.

Some Pearl Izumi baggy shorts don't look too bikey, no worse than any plaid or solid shorts. No weird looking black lycra/spandex crotch piece to break up the casual plaid shorts look. Less expensive than Zoic for similarly styled baggy shorts. There's a PI outlet store nearby and I'm always on the lookout for discounts. A few months ago I snagged a one-day Amazon sale on PI baggy shorts for $20. Really good quality. And I got a set of new-old-stock PI arm warmers for ten bucks a couple of weeks ago.

Garneau stuff is a good value too. I have two Garneau jerseys and a pair of summer weight gel padded gloves. All have held up well, including the one jersey that I've been wearing during two or three falls. It has a few snags and small holes from falling but still does the job. Comfortable and lightweight fabric, appears to be two ultra-thin laminated fabrics -- a larger porous mesh outer and slicker feeling tighter weave inner.

We don't enough really cold days to justify expensive insulated bike gloves so I cheaped out on a $10 pair of generic winter gloves from Walgreen's. They were comfortable and effective during our recent cold snap, including an hour long ride on a 20F night last weekend -- although my fingers were stinging by the time I got home. Really need some windproof mitten shells for sub-freezing rides.

My usual cool weather gloves are Bontrager Thermal RXL, a comfortable full finger glove of stretchy material that's just thick enough to be comfortable down into the 50s and thin enough to wear in warm weather. Tough material too. I've fallen in them a couple of times and caught myself with my hand on pavement and rough ground. No tears or holes. After a year some of the rubbery grip dots have worn off but the gloves are fine. Below 50F I'll wear thin ski glove liners under the Bontragers. At $25 they're not a bargain, but it's tough to find discounts on Bontrager stuff and I'm satisfied with these.

In regular shoes (I don't use clipless) I'm undecided about Merrell. Got a pair of high tops recently. Very light and comfortable but the soles may not be as durable as I'd hoped -- although I knew that was a risk, based on owner reviews. My platform pedals are Stolen Pedal Thermalites, so these shouldn't tear up the soles as badly as metal. Very comfortable to walk in. Stiffer than my old Montrail hiking shoes. Great safety features -- lots of highly reflective outer bits. But the Merrells feel like they don't breathe well -- I'm surprised how damp my feet feel after an hour or two in cool to moderately warm weather. At $40 I can't complain, but I'd have been disappointed if I'd paid more.

I'm leaning toward Five Ten shoes for a low top pair. I tried a pair at REI recently. They fit perfectly (unusual for me because I have narrow feet), and the soles were stiffer than Merrells. The Five Tens are heavier, but feel like the soles will last longer. And I see some Five Tens on sale for $70 and less.
Old 12-25-16, 10:51 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Bought a few Nishiki branded jerseys from Dicks Sporting Goods for $9. I think original price was only $19, but they are a moisture wicking fabric, bright orange, and look like a regular golf polo when off the bike, plus they are cut for a more normal human than a lightweight pro racer that almost none of us are.
Old 12-25-16, 11:53 PM
Saitama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't mention the type of bike you have. Road bike styles are different to hybrid riders and mountain bikes. I have a hybrid and just wear whatever I want.
Old 12-26-16, 06:33 AM
crankythunder

Location: burrokratic republik of Michigan, cubicle LVW-2a20c

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Trek Y-33, Rans LWB recumbent, Vision SWB Recumbent, Fuji MTB, Schwinn Beach Cruiser with two stroke

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am with cankle cat with the champion branded stuff.

I get mine at wal mart, 9 bucks for the shorts, sometimes cheaper for the shirts.

I also get synthetic sweat shirts and pants from there, along with nylon outer shell.

Like to keep a good full wardrobe of cycling clothes since I don't do laundry every week. Couldn't afford it if I got cycling specific clothes and I like the cheap stuff just as much, if not more.

Regards,
Crankster
Old 12-26-16, 06:42 AM
Wildrat

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am perfectly happy with my $14.99 Nashbar Jerseys, my Performance Ultra Bibs, and Defreet socks.
Old 12-26-16, 06:43 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
If you're talking about keeping the price down, check out Karrimor (running) or Canari. I love Zoic, but they are a little higher in price.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 12-26-16 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-26-16, 06:46 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Bottom--J&G touring shorts- wear well, look fine off bike and are a good value.
Top-- Nike running shirts
Foot -- Chrome Kursk shoes.
Old 12-26-16, 07:10 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Got into wool jerseys last season and they are the best. Oregon cycling is my preferred vendo due to small business, price, and quality. I wear their long sleeve jerseys sized up as a shirt lol!

I'm not sensitive to shorts too much. Leg grippers and padding are my two major requirements.

I do have a pair of nashbar "baggy" shorts with sewn in liner which I cut out that I love. Not great for aero but comfy.
Old 12-26-16, 07:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,543 Times in 7,329 Posts
Go Rapha or go home.
Old 12-26-16, 06:42 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I've been cycling for years and have a good bit of jerseys, shorts, etc but the stuff I wore decades ago obviously doesn't fit so I started buying new clothing this past March when I started my mission to get back into top form and lose weight.

Here are a few of my observations and I'd like to hear from others before I plunk down more money on other brands.

I REALLY like Endura Humvee mountain bike shorts and jerseys. These things are really high quality but a little more expensive than the competitors but I can wear the shorts around town to because they don't 'look' like mountain bike shorts. That makes them a good value to me. The jerseys are tough as nails to.

I REALLY like Santini long or short sleeve jerseys! They are made in Italy, are cost-effective, really high quality for what you pay and comfortable. I wear this on the road.

I like Voler jerseys and shorts. Seem to be good quality for the money but not quite on par in quality (or looks) compared to Santini but they are comfy.

-

I ride the Endura Humvee shorts and love them. They look good off and on the bike. I also wear an Endura Jersey top and switch it off with a Pearl Izumi Top that is nice and casual as well.
Old 12-26-16, 07:51 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Thanks folks! Got some checking out to do.

I love the, "Go Rapha or go home" quote! I'm not a Rapha kinda guy though. It's a little too, I'd say, cosmopolitan for me......ROFL.
Old 12-26-16, 08:34 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I've had good luck with Pearl Izumi stuff purchased on Amazon
Old 12-26-16, 09:59 PM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had good luck with Primal for fit, quality and value. Aerotech has some decent stuff at a bargain price.
Old 12-30-16, 06:35 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought a few pairs of Santic padded shorts from this ebay seller:

Men Bicycle Cycling Shorts 4D Coolmax Padded Bike Shorts 1/2 Pants S-3XL Black | eBay

Extremely good quality (I was quite happily surprised when the first pair arrived) for $20!

I'm going to try some of his jerseys next season.

Cheers
TRJB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.