Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Link D7i Unlucky?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tern Link D7i Unlucky?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 01:20 AM
JohanNeeda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tern Link D7i Unlucky?

Since December I'm the proud owner of a tern link D7i. I thought is a cool bike(it is actually design wise ) but also kind of maintenance free. I have an Gazelle orange C7 plus (just to tell where my compare point is) and a no name
cheap folding bike (Formula is written on it. It is supposes to be permanent resident in my car's trunk and used as spare bike).

Since I got the D7I I was expecting the Gazelle reliability with the advantages of the folding bike. Why shouldn’t I? There are good bike reviews (or advertising?). the bad ones is the eternal talk Tern vs other brand J., IGH and all the goodies for a good bike.
Unfortunately my expectation fell very short:
1) Day 0 there was a plastic cap on the hinge bolt to protect it from water. I have seen it on the dealer shop and
that was it. It disappeared without a trace
2) Day 1 flat rear tire. On the road it real hassle to change (bad start). Changed with Fischer brand
3) Day 3 deflated front tire (found it as such in the garage). Changed directly with Fisher brand
4) Day 30 worn off brake pads (about 300 Km). Change the both sets with Decathlon brand
5) Day 35 light connection broke off. About to be replaced with copper wires and automotive waterproof connections.
6) Day 36. Rust on chain is quite unbelievable. Scrub de chain, clean the chain, grease everything. Seems ok
7) Day 45. Rust on chain is quite unbelievable. Scrub de chain, clean the chain, grease everything. Feeling less confident
8) Day 50. Rust on chain is quite unbelievable. Really?

My own thoughts:
1) Not really a problem, but I bought this bike for its design.
2) and 3) I thought it was me being unlucky. But there was no puncture on any of the tires. The air chambers are old (!?) or bad quality. Schawalbe Apple paired with very cheap air chambers?
4) I'm a heavy guy (220 lbs) ridding a hilly area. But really? The other folder has Fischer pads and, after a year of so (i.e 1200 Km), they are still there about half way from the ware line. Honestly I think they are bad quality (Promox looks like the brand, but I suppose they do the entry level as well).
5) The duo dynamo and front light gives a good light but the connection between them is really bad thought of. Alu cables and crimp connections for a thing that's supposed to move? I have been in touch with Tern support to ask if there are some special crimp connections , sizes and stuff. The answer was: get in contact with the dealer (I think 5mm was a shorter and better answer).
6),7) and 8) I know here it rains a lot. However why it is only this one that rusts? We have in daily in use 4 bikes and this is the only chain that rusts. Even my daughter kids bike is OK. I recon is either the chain protection retaining water and keeping the chain wet or the chain is bad quality. Given the experience with the other stuff I would say the later. I keep cleaning it till the new chain arrives. We will see.

Conclusion
If for each problem I had with the bike I need to 1) make an appointment with the dealer 2)wait for 2 weeks 3) pay a flat 35 EUR just to look at it I have been already 140 EUR short and about 2 months out of the bike. Adding spares would have been 170 EUR . Add 50 EUR for the 2 months bus tickets 220 EUR. I have bought my other folder for less than that! That’s about 25% of the new value of the bike. It feels really like having got a bad second had bike. As you see I compare it with a cheap folder as my Gazelle is really in another quality league. I thought Tern is about details, good engineering and design. It appears they have just a good marketing division.

Were my expectations to high? Were yours?

PS
Fischer is the brand of bike spares I can find on my local DIY Shop (I don’ know about quality but better than the ones on Tern, overpriced, but immediately available).
Old 03-14-18, 02:11 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I must admit I always look at a bike from the perspective of what I am getting for my money. I look at the price and I look at the components fitted. As someone who can do their own maintenance I can look at the direct sellers on the internet or factory to retailer direct brands (shop brands) who can often offer far superior bikes for less money. The Tern business model is one of many parties needing to make a profit and larger marketing expenses plus they seem to source even frames from other companies and so all these additional costs add up.

It's common for the big brands of bikes to have a terrible entry level model with very poor components, often heavily compromised to reach a price point that appears competitive with other bikes but in the detail pretty much junk components bolted to an often reasonable frame.

The 20" wheel folding bike category is full of competitors, a huge amount of choice. Also many brands aren't consistently good or bad you can find varying levels of value in the same brand.

As you have found out you are having to spend more money to replace parts that are faulty or below acceptable quality for you very early in ownership which I think is typical of a poor compromised bike.

I don't know if its the same with Tern but some of the European models of Dahon bike seem to be downgraded here and there compared to the US versions. I wonder as the Tern management is ex-Dahon if they don't do a similar approach of compensating for the higher costs of selling into Europe by a few downgrades just so the price between Europe and the US is closer. It could be some of the smaller parts like the chain have been downgraded.
Old 03-14-18, 07:34 AM
JohanNeeda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Funny, enough I do the checking part myself as well. On second hand bikes, though. It never ever cross my mind that one of the most prised folding bikes could have this kind of quality problems.

For new bikes, I will not look in the shop what kind of brakes they have (usually there is nothing written on them) as I expect some good quality OEM's, nor what kind of air chambers they have under the tyres. You expect for a "name" to pay attention to this kind of details for you. This is not entry level bike either. It costs about 1K EUR. With the exception of Verge and the electric bikes this is the top EUR from Tern. One simply cannot ask to buy the more expensive Verge for some decent quality. And really for what? Bought on a retail shop, the spares cost me about 40 EUR (as I have told you, there were not even hyper quality, just decent). I have paid 100 EUR more(plenty of profit for everyone) to get this out of the box enjoying my ride and not being in the garage repairing it. It doesn't matter how much you love bikes, still you will grind your teeth when it is needed to repair them. To add to my sorrow, my garage is not heated and here is still winter, brrrrr.

If I'm looking at all the details on my Gazelle and at the fact that it costs less than the Tern (being assembled at Dutch costs, not in Vietnam - some say cheaper than China), I get the strong feeling that's not me be being unlucky. However, I have asked for a second opinion just to be sure.
Old 03-14-18, 07:43 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by JohanNeeda
6),7) and 8) I know here it rains a lot. However why it is only this one that rusts? ... I recon is either the chain protection retaining water and keeping the chain wet or the chain is bad quality.
Ditch the plastic chain cover and use a good "wet" chain lube.
Steve
Old 03-15-18, 06:55 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by JohanNeeda
Funny, enough I do the checking part myself as well. On second hand bikes, though. It never ever cross my mind that one of the most prised folding bikes could have this kind of quality problems.

For new bikes, I will not look in the shop what kind of brakes they have (usually there is nothing written on them) as I expect some good quality OEM's, nor what kind of air chambers they have under the tyres. You expect for a "name" to pay attention to this kind of details for you. This is not entry level bike either. It costs about 1K EUR. With the exception of Verge and the electric bikes this is the top EUR from Tern. One simply cannot ask to buy the more expensive Verge for some decent quality. And really for what? Bought on a retail shop, the spares cost me about 40 EUR (as I have told you, there were not even hyper quality, just decent). I have paid 100 EUR more(plenty of profit for everyone) to get this out of the box enjoying my ride and not being in the garage repairing it. It doesn't matter how much you love bikes, still you will grind your teeth when it is needed to repair them. To add to my sorrow, my garage is not heated and here is still winter, brrrrr.

If I'm looking at all the details on my Gazelle and at the fact that it costs less than the Tern (being assembled at Dutch costs, not in Vietnam - some say cheaper than China), I get the strong feeling that's not me be being unlucky. However, I have asked for a second opinion just to be sure.
Yes definitely cheaper in Vietnam if nothing else because the EU adds a additional duty on complete bikes sold from China but Vietnam can assemble basically chinese parts including a high quality chinese frame and get to Europe without duty. Even if you ignore that I'm pretty sure its cheaper to manufacture in Vietnam anyway nowadays so a double saving overall.
Old 05-03-18, 09:16 AM
JohanNeeda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back in business

I don’t know if Tern has made those bikes for a climate that’s really humid, but surely they have missed some details. Every nut or bolt that looks like stainless steel rusts. No exceptions In order not to bother with warranty and the eternal tango customer fault/fabrication fault I have changed the cog (to 20T), the chain with a Shimano for 6/7/8 speed and the crank set to Sturmey Archer RBR700. I ditched the chain cage as well. I didn’t really have to change the crankset, but trying to take it off for rust removal and cleaning, it was completely stuck (drive side). The classic crank set removal tool did nothing but to screw up the threads so I had to use a ball bearing press to remove it. I like to believe this was me not using correctly the tool. For the headlight problem I have just changed the wire running from the dynamo to the headlight to a copper one and use some heat shrinking tubing to fix it on the headlight connectors.

I’m sure the Shimano 1S chain would have been better from aesthetics stand point (in combination with the crank set) as it is grey. Perhaps next time. I have given the bike a thorough clean up as rust like dust was everywhere and now it looks really neat with the difference that now it works as well.

Thanks everyone for their input.
Old 09-17-18, 01:23 AM
evilnim

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update

Hi there

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. I’m in the UK, a casual cyclist and certainly no expert. Currently using a 2014 Rockhopper Comp 29er once or twice a week to do about 14 miles round trip for work. It’s a bit of a faff, the bike stands aren’t great at work, and I’m considering a foldable. My cycle to work scheme doesn’t include Bromptons so they’re out first off. I’m considering the Tern D7i 2018 as one of my options. I’ve read the threads about all the issues with Terns from ?2016 and prior regarding hinges and welds, but understand that this is (maybe) rectified with a new single bolt/weld design. I’ve not read anywhere else about rusting in this model and poor quality parts etc. How has the bike been for you since you changed things up?

Cheers
Old 09-22-18, 09:32 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by evilnim
I’m considering the Tern D7i 2018 as one of my options. I’ve read the threads about all the issues with Terns from ?2016 and prior regarding hinges and welds, but understand that this is (maybe) rectified with a new single bolt/weld design. I’ve not read anywhere else about rusting in this model and poor quality parts etc.
I just turned over 6,000 miles on my Verge S11i. The original frame was recalled at about the 4,000 mile mark. I had no problem with the original, but went through with the frame replacement. The new frame has the modifications that address the weld and pivot bolt issues and has been trouble-free, and I'm confident it will remain so.

Last edited by sweeks; 09-22-18 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-23-18, 02:06 AM
evilnim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I just turned over 6,000 miles on my Verge S11i. The original frame was recalled at about the 4,000 mile mark. I had no problem with the original, but went through with the frame replacement. The new frame has the modifications that address the weld and pivot bolt issues and has been trouble-free, and I'm confident it will remain so.
Cheers, that’s real helpful. Took the plunge and it should arrive next week sometime. Looks decent for what I need it for, so quite excited.
Old 09-24-18, 05:12 AM
JohanNeeda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Works great

Sorry for the late answer...

In what concerns the hinge, no problem there (at least I have not see one). After I have changed the parts I have mentioned, no problem at all. It is worth to mention that for the moment I have ditched the chain guard (although I feel I should put it back since the chain was the problem). This bike rides like a dream and it really use fully every day (ride and fold about twice a day) .

I had the chance to look at a Tern Verge model (don’t remember which one). It is my impression to have a “high end” bike better parts than the Link. Therefore problems you could have with a Link may not happen on a Verge.

Anyway good choice, have a great time.
Old 09-26-18, 04:15 PM
evilnim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, that’s reassuring.

The bike has arrived today. Looks good. Looking forward to trying it out. Is there an easy way of figuring out the manufacturing date? Probably not.

@sweeks - curious as the weld on my joint looks quite different to yours from the other thread (see image). Not too worried about it though. Seems unlikely that they’d still be selling the old joint after a recall.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

Cheers all

Edit:can’t post images yet. Never mind.
Old 09-26-18, 07:10 PM
sweeks

@sweeks - curious as the weld on my joint looks quite different to yours from the other thread (see image). Not too worried about it though. Seems unlikely that they’d still be selling the old joint after a recall.
Try checking here to see if your frame is included in a recall: Link recalls. This problem was years ago now, so if it's a new bike you should be OK. But check anyway for your peace of mind.

I am pretty sure the remedies for the Link are the same as for the Verge, without actually having certain knowledge. The weld on the Verge was strengthened through the addition of a gusset plate in the forward part of the frame. See the attached images (which you may have seen before). The hinge pivot bolt issues were resolved by the replacement of the two bolts by a single pivot pin.
After you have racked up a few more posts, upload an image or two. But check your serial number.

Gusset plate seen through hole in forward half of frame (above^)

Gusset plate weld n the bottom of the forward half of the frame (above ^)
:-)
Old 09-27-18, 12:54 AM
evilnim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Try checking here to see if your frame is included in a recall. This problem was years ago now, so if it's a new bike you should be OK. But check anyway for your peace of mind.

I am pretty sure the remedies for the Link are the same as for the Verge, without actually having certain knowledge. The weld on the Verge was strengthened through the addition of a gusset plate in the forward part of the frame. See the attached images (which you may have seen before). The hinge pivot bolt issues were resolved by the replacement of the two bolts by a single pivot pin.
After you have racked up a few more posts, upload an image or two. But check your serial number.
Thanks - yeah I checked my serial number (starts AA) so not included in the recall. Don’t seem to have an internal gusset plate though - just an external additional piece welded to the tube and the plate. I’ll post the photo when I have enough kudos to do so
Old 09-27-18, 02:28 PM
evilnim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So
Old 09-27-18, 02:29 PM
evilnim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This
Old 09-27-18, 02:31 PM
evilnim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is (apologies for the multiple posts, but I can’t see myself contributing to 6 other threads imminently )
Old 09-27-18, 02:35 PM
keke

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8 and Mezzo D9

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Hey, just have a conversation.....

Have you had a chance to ride the bike yet?
Old 09-28-18, 12:13 AM
evilnim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the opportunity! I’ve been on long days this week so haven’t had a chance to get it out properly. Will be able to try it tomorrow morning. Liking how it feels though on my short tests so far. Looking for a decent trunk pack for the rack as well to reduce strain on the back - had been using a deuter racepack until now which is super comfy, but with my litre bottle of water, lunch, and iPad in it, it weighs a bit! Any suggestions? Also has anyone used the biologic dynamo on the D7i?
Old 09-28-18, 05:12 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
I truly wish I had gotten a D7i myself. I'm a huge igh fan, and I wish all my bikes had an igh hub. How do you like it so far?
Old 09-28-18, 12:59 PM
evilnim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve not tested it on a proper ride yet, just a bit of up and down the road outside (live on quite a steep hill). So far so good, for what it’s worth. This is my first IGH so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect - tbh it doesn’t feel hugely different to my old derailleur equipped MTB. Then again I guess I won’t really find out until I give it a good shot tomorrow morning. Excited!
Old 09-28-18, 02:14 PM
keke

I’ve not tested it on a proper ride yet, just a bit of up and down the road outside (live on quite a steep hill). So far so good, for what it’s worth. This is my first IGH so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect - tbh it doesn’t feel hugely different to my old derailleur equipped MTB. Then again I guess I won’t really find out until I give it a good shot tomorrow morning. Excited!
How excited?
Go on, just one more post!
Old 09-28-18, 03:26 PM
evilnim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nearly as excited as when England got to the semi final of the football World Cup in July?

Hopefully it won’t be a massive anticlimax like that though.

Will post tomorrow about my first effort
Old 09-28-18, 04:20 PM
keke

Nearly as excited as when England got to the semi final of the football World Cup in July?

Hopefully it won’t be a massive anticlimax like that though.

Will post tomorrow about my first effort
You got to 10! Without spamming as well! Kudos!
Old 09-28-18, 04:31 PM
evilnim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keke
Without spamming as well!
That bits not quite true...but I got helped out a lot by some real winners engaging. Cheers team!
Old 09-29-18, 08:59 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Now post a picture,...inquiring minds want to know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.