Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you keep your phone on and surf / respond to texts when riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Do you pull out your phone to respond to text messages or read facebook when riding?
Yes, I can't live without my technology.
5.94%
No, I enjoy the calm of the road and being on my bike.
72.28%
I like fluffy clouds
21.78%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 08:57 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
It's in the pocket and almost never used.

Contacts know I won't respond to texts on a ride, so call if it's urgent.

I use Tasker to send robocalls to vm, which isn't even set up to record a message, so they never call again.

Maybe 1 ride in 30 is interrupted by an urgent call.
Old 05-07-19, 07:30 AM
SashaSolitaire

Bikes: Felt F4SL 2009 Ultegra 6600 grouppo, Trek 7.3FX, RadRunner Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I ride with my phone. The primary purpose is to be able to communicate in case of an emergency (either with me of family). The phone stays in my jersey pocket and does not get picked up during the ride, and I only check it when I reach my scheduled "top-up" stops during my ride. Family knows to call me twice in case they really need me (and I know it's family from the ringtone). I also do not ride with any earphones or BT headsets, and do not listen to entertainment (music/podcasts) on my ride. I see enough idiots (joggers/walkers/bikers) on those sections of the MUP that I have to intermittently get on (since some sections of my usual rides pass roads where bikes are not allowed) with earphones blasting and oblivious to the rest of the world. Wish that New York actually enforces the laws in the book (only one ear can have a headphone/earphone on MUPs) for everyone's safety, but that's for another day
Old 05-07-19, 08:23 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
My cell phones tend to be older models, so to preserve the battery on longer rides I'll turn them off or put them in airplane mode, and check at stops.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-07-19, 12:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

Does anyone keep their phone on for entertainment when riding?...music, podcasts, talk shows, language lessons...
Yes, mostly podcasts or the MLB app when the Giants are on. One ear pod only, of course.
Old 05-07-19, 12:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Most of where I ride has no cell phone service, but when in range, iMessage texts come through on my Garmin. I only give out my info to family members and close friends, so there isn't much in the way of disruption. All my phone calls go to google voice, and the messages get transcribed and emailed to me, so I can read them and respond at my convenience. I am fortunate to have a job that doesn't involve using a phone.
Unfortunately most of my riding is loops around town, but the most enjoyable riding is mostly without service, too. And then if something is going on, you get half a dozen messages all at once.
Old 05-08-19, 02:00 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Phone on in jersey pocket. But I never hear it ring or feel it vibrate.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-08-19, 07:54 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I carry my phone and keep it on. But, I'm a very low-volume user. No work calls or texts on my personal phone so no off-hours messages there. Pretty much the only people I ever call or text are my immediate family - wife and older kids - and very limited calling or texting there. So, on the rare occasion I get a text or call, I will answer as it might be something important ... like "Please pick up milk".

The primary reasons for bringing my phone along are 1) in case there is an emergency and 2) I download off-line Google Maps to my phone and occasionally will check my location if I'm uncertain where I am.
Old 05-08-19, 12:46 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
My phone is on in my jersey pocket, but I usually do not answer texts or calls until after the ride... because I can see who texts or calls with my Fitbit watch. I listen to the MapMyRide computer lady tell me my stats after each mile.

Last edited by DomaneS5; 05-08-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 01:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Nachoman
Phone on in jersey pocket. But I never hear it ring or feel it vibrate.
Off the bike, I keep the phone on my side pants pocket, on vibrate. Every now and then, I'll feel a phantom vibration. Phone can be in a back jersey pocket, or on the charger, and I'll think I felt it go off against my leg. The text feature in my Garmin helps me keep my grasp on reality.

Anyone else?
Old 05-08-19, 02:38 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
but am I too crusty to expect people to leave their tech behind for a ride?
Maybe, but you are definitely too much in everybody else's business if you have expectations on how they should or shouldn't enjoy their bike ride. You do what works for you and as long as others aren't causing a hazard it's none of your business to expect they do much of anything.

Personally, I don't live a life that enables me to completely disconnect and be out of touch with the same frequency that I like to ride my bike. My phone is on and with me pretty much 24/7. It rings to the handsets in my house, my car radio, my bluetooth shower radio and syncs notices to my Garmin watch. When I'm out on the road bike its in my bike wallet in my jersey pocket. When I'm commuting or mountain biking its on a handlebar mount or top tube bag. I surely don't "surf" or Facebook with it while riding but I'll listen for it or check notifications and texts on my watch. If I need to pull over and make or answer a call/text I will. I also keep a bluetooth headset in my bento bag so I can also pop it on to answer a call real quick if I don't want to stop. I figure if I can safely talk to the guy next to me while riding I can talk to the invisible person in my (right) ear just the same.
Old 05-08-19, 03:40 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I think it is important everyone accept my values and ride like I do.

But seriously, if I didn't have a cell and didn't bring it with me, I'd be stuck sitting at my desk indoors 80 hours a week. Bringing my cell and dealing with the occasional phone call / text / email is WAY better than not being able to ride.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 05-08-19, 04:20 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
For me, riding is all about getting away. Away from the pestering sound of text messages, email, news, media, etc. Just getting out on the road and leaving all that stress behind. Me. My bike. The road. Riding is the only part of my day where I'm not being bothered by some sort of cellphone technology. I feel good leaving all that behind.

On my ride today, I kept seeing people pulled over at the side of the road or at stop lights on their phones. I know cellphones are designed to be addictive (see here, or here for a couple of examples) but am I too crusty to expect people to leave their tech behind for a ride?

What about you folks? Are you able to resist the urge of reading the most recent tweet from Hugh Jackman while on your ride?
I don't surf or respond to texts while riding, but sometimes I ride while I'm on call. If a customer call comes in, I have to respond within a certain window of time or violate an SLA. It has nothing to do with Hugh Jackman or the dangers of modern technology. It's part of my job.
Old 05-08-19, 05:22 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It doesn't work after half a block because it's a cordless handset, I know...accidentally carried it all the way to mom's a few years ago and it was useless 40 miles away.
Old 05-10-19, 06:28 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
I don't even bring my phone, which is probably just stupid.

But if/when I do, it won't be set up with my Elemnt Bolt to be notifying me of calls/texts/etc.
Old 05-10-19, 07:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I carry my phone with me. I'll use it to mark milestones, like starting & stopping. ppl usually leave me alone while I'm riding. on rare occasions, I'll take a pic & send it to Instagram but it's gotta be interesting to my few family followers. during winter & foul weather rides, it's either in a jacket pocket or a lens case & a pocket of my trunk bag. for fair weather rides it's in the feed bag

Old 05-11-19, 10:19 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
FWIW I do take my phone with me, for safety, when I ride. When I found out that Garmin allows you to upload photos to Garmin Connect, I started looking for spots to take photos when I'm at the halfway point of my ride. The sending and receiving functions though stay off.
Old 05-11-19, 10:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

I find it valuable to see messages coming in, without having to pull my phone out. I don't respond to them almost ever, but **** happens. A friend of mine had a minor heart attack, she's in her 30s and a runner, it was completely unexpected. I got a text about it and about needing some help. That's worth ending a ride immediately.

She's doing great.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-11-19, 03:30 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I left house today with the intent of a 3-4 hour ride. As I set out, I had that sneaking feeling that I was forgetting something. Then I realized that it wasn't that I was forgetting something, it was that I was leaving something behind - all my burdens. At first, I mused that this feeling was despite having my phone on and connected to my cycling computer... then I realized that it was in large part *because* I had my phone on and connected to my cycling computer; I have obligations to my family and they don't go away when I roll off, so it's actually easier for me to fully enjoy the freedom of a ride when I know that I can be reached, if absolutely necessary, and to know that my wife can check up on my progress if she's concerned about my well-being. YMMV, obv.
Old 05-21-19, 09:21 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I bought one of those handlebar phone holders to use my phone for a bike computer/Strava but between the sun and me needing my reading glasses I never use it. Now I keep my phone in my seat bag and check messages and Twitter when I stop for coffee or lunch.
Old 05-22-19, 01:24 AM
Seattle Forrest

I got a text Thursday while I was riding, saying the road to the Cascade Pass trailhead was open. My weekend plans were delivered to me on a silver platter. I spent the rest of the ride planning Saturday's hike.
Old 05-22-19, 08:17 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Like many others, I keep mine in my back pocket and can see messages though my Wahoo. I pretty much never respond to them, but it's nice to have the option in the rare (for me) event that it would be important enough to stop/change/pause my ride over. I'll check my phone at a coffee stop on longer rides.

But really, as long as one is being safe, there's no wrong way to handle this. Respond/ignore/take note but don't respond. It's all good. Do what works for you.
Old 05-23-19, 10:43 PM
OrenNoah

Bikes: 2019 Trek Madone SLR6; 2014 Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get text messages and missed calls on my Garmin 520. I can only read the first few words of the text, so my family knows that if it's important so say so up front. Otherwise, I ignore them during the ride and catch up afterwards.
Old 05-25-19, 08:41 AM
Cloudkicker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope. I prefer to enjoy the scenery.
Old 05-25-19, 10:11 AM
mr shifty

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
only unless it's important, otherwise it will have to wait.
Old 05-26-19, 03:12 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
will usually only hit the phone if i'm on a grub/grog break or on a longish (2+ mile climb) that i either can't or don't feel like attacking.
it's pretty easy to clear out your 356 e-mails inbox + other catchup when you're grinding along at 7-10 mph on a familiar climb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.