Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem Tire Width - What is yours?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 08-06-19, 10:45 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

Our tandem tire width is 32 (Schwalbe Marathon Plus). We just returned from a 10 day tour on which Google Maps was sending us on mixed terrain from regular roads to pretty bumpy gravel paths. I wished for a wider tire on some of the sections as well as during some of the steep downhill turny roads. I'm kind of considering 35 or 42. Anyone riding those widths on pavement and how do You like it?
Old 08-06-19, 11:40 AM
Tom M

Bikes: IRO Rob Roy SS, ~1979 Pogliaghi, 1991 Bob Jackson, 2014 Seven Axiom 007 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Our tandem tire width is 32 (Schwalbe Marathon Plus). We just returned from a 10 day tour on which Google Maps was sending us on mixed terrain from regular roads to pretty bumpy gravel paths. I wished for a wider tire on some of the sections as well as during some of the steep downhill turny roads. I'm kind of considering 35 or 42. Anyone riding those widths on pavement and how do You like it?
We're running Donnelly (formerly Clement) Explor' USH (something like that) 35 mm tires on our tandem, where they barely fit in the rear. Although we're primarily on the bike path, I like the wider tires for the potholes and road construction in Northern Virginia and DC. If I could go wider, I would. We have the 120 TPI version of the tires, which seem to roll well without being fragile.
--Tom
Old 08-06-19, 02:55 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
We use tires measuring 40 to 45mm wide on paved roads when we want to go fast. Those include Panaracer Gravelking 38mm and Parimoto 42mm. They're faster, more comfortable, less flat-prone, and grippier than the 28 to 37mm tires that preceded them. We sometimes use a handful of wider (48 to 60mm) tires, too, but they are a little slower on pavement. We're a 320lb team for reference.
Old 08-06-19, 09:45 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Our Ibis takes 26” and we are using 1.75” Paselas.
We have run wider; would like to try Compass Rat Trap Pass eventually and see if they are as good as everyone says.
Our Cannondale is wearing 700c x 37mm Soma Supple Vitesse. That’s as big as the frame will take.
Both bikes ride great, and the tires help out a lot with absorbing bumps.
Old 08-07-19, 06:57 AM
lichtgrau

Bikes: (Ti) Rabbit "soulmate" plus half a dozen "half bikes"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Our setup contains 26“rims and 1,75“Schwalbe Marathon Plus Performance tires.
I didn’t listen to my mechanic who built our wheels when he mentioned the bigger rolling resistance of those “puncture-proof” tires and that this could take away some of the joy of riding.
For us this is not true at all. On the one hand, I like the feeling of those really robust tires (one step below a tank track ;-) and the fact, that I don’t really have to care for the roads (as long as there are roads at all). And on the other hand, regarding rolling resistance, they perform surprisingly better than I thought. When I give them enough air pressure (what you usually do on a tandem), I can’t recognize any difference from other tires of that size.

After 4000 km I just ordered a spare set of those tires only to realize: Our first set has probably many miles more to go until they are really worn…
Old 08-07-19, 07:03 AM
IkeCan

Bikes: Santana Ti ExoGrid, Trek Domane SL-6

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We ride with 25mm x 700 on a Santana Ti. Our rides are exclusively on paved roads and the narrow width is not an issue.
Old 08-07-19, 07:44 AM
bikeinxs

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
700x38 Gravel Kings on our tandem. Fast and comfortable at 60 psi (we are a 310 pound team). We run on a lot of gravel roads without any trouble. Occasionally we go for ATV track type riding and then we switch to 650x48 Gravel King SK's at about 45 psi. We used to have a Comotion Speedster and were limited to 700x28. I had to run them at minimum 100 psi and we didn't ride many dirt roads because even then we were prone to pinch flats on gravel.
Old 08-07-19, 08:18 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
We have run wider; would like to try Compass Rat Trap Pass eventually and see if they are as good as everyone says.
Same with our Santana. I have used RH tires on several other bikes, and they are as good as everyone says, but they also cost 3x more than tires that are almost as good and last a lot longer.
Old 08-07-19, 12:17 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
We ride 32mm Gatorskins on a set of Spinergy alloy wheels most of the time around local. We may also ride them when we go away from home for base touring. Overseas touring have a set of 40mm Scwhalbe Dureme (advertised for tandems) on 48spoke Phil Wood hub/Velocity Dyad rims. I'm not sure you can buy the Duremes any longer. Stoker likes the Duremes @75 psi or less and if we lose any speed to rolling resistance we're so slow we don't notice.
Old 08-07-19, 11:15 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
We have done our last 2 tours on Schwalbe G-One speed 650B x 40 tyres and found them to be really good both for rolling on road and on the gravel. I recently installed 650B x 47 Gravelking Slicks and while my lovely stoker loves them I feel they are just a bit to wide. They measure 51mm across on the Lightbicycle rims we are using. I'd like to try a slightly narrower Gravelking but they only make those sizes for 700c not 650b.
I would never run narrow tyres again especially as they have a higher rolling resistance
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...000-comparison
Old 08-08-19, 02:57 AM
torger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
I don't have that much tandem experience yet, but what I have found so far is that on the tandem I'm less comfortable (from a handling perspective) to use narrower tires than the road calls for.

When riding alone I'm used to riding gravel of mixed quality and for my cross/gravel bike I prefer to set it up for smoother gravel for speed and then just deal with it when I need to pass a section with poorer surface.

With the tandem I'd rather want to have a bit extra tire width to feel planted and safe on the road when getting into some rougher surfaces, and instead take the drawback on some extra wind/rolling resistance on the smooth stuff.

If we know it's going to be a 100% tarmac route and we want to go fast we use 28mm GP5000 tires. I don't think there is any need to go narrower, as we don't have aero wheels and we're not *that* fast.

On gravel/mixed we've run Hutchinson Overide 35mm tubeless tires (with tubes though). These are real 34mm on our 24mm (outer width) rims at least when new. Those don't have much knobs so fast on tarmac and good for hardpacked dirt or fine gravel roads. For coarser gravel not that great, I would want wider.

As our tandem (Cannondale Road Tandem 2017) don't have massive tire clearance (~4 mm left on the tightest spot with the Overide tires) we need to get a 650B wheelset if we want to go much wider, and I'm actually thinking about making one as a coming winter project, as there are routes I'd like to ride which will be a bit too rough for these tires. I'd probably like to go to ~45mm on the tandem to get the same all-aroundness I feel I have with the 37mm gravel tires I use on my solo bike.
Old 08-08-19, 05:08 AM
marciero

Bikes: 2005 CoMotion Speedster, 2014 Cannondale T2, various single bikes

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We run 47mm tires on our 650b which gets a lot of gravel use. The handling is different than our 700c which gets 32-35 tires. Some of that is down to the wheel size, but also generally the bike is not going to handle different as you go wider and lower pressure. It's similar to the change on single bike. It's sort of a less railing of corners feel. It's fine, just different.
Old 08-08-19, 05:58 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
We ride 28c and 32c on our two tandems. I am planning to add 35c to our extra set of wheels to try out a little wider tire, especially for when we ride bike paths with the grand-kids.
Old 08-08-19, 08:54 PM
timthorn

Bikes: 2006 Surly Pacer with all Campy, minus the King and Brookes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Odd duck here. My tandems generally roll with 2.2" tires. The catch is that my captan

Odd duck out here. My captains and I usually come out to around 400lbs, so my gravel tandems each roll with 2.2" regardless of the tire. This provides us the best cross between comfort and stability on a variety of gravel types. Otherwise, I have been on 28 to 35 on a variety of roads. For determining the width, base it on the comfort level of the captain and the stoker, then work down to narrower tires.
Old 08-08-19, 11:32 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
specialized saw-tooth 700 x 42 super comfy ride, good grip both on and off road
Old 08-09-19, 02:02 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I run 28c or 32c in both front and rear.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-10-19, 09:16 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Our Cannondale is wearing 700c x 37mm Soma Supple Vitesse. That’s as big as the frame will take.
Both bikes ride great, and the tires help out a lot with absorbing bumps.
We took it in baby steps. We went from 26 X 1.25 at 100 psi because that's what our tandem came with. Then we tried the first 26" tires Compass came out with and were blown away at how much lower the rolling resistance was. These were heavy rubber 26 X 1.5 because Jan Heine wasn't certain there was a market for 26", so rather than making molds he just used existing molds. Then we moved on to the 26 X 1.75" Compass tires and they were faster still. When the Rat Trap Pass came out, we jumped in and have been super happy. They last forever, even on the gravel logging roads we often ride, are comfortable and are the fastest tire we have ever experienced. Flats are a non-issue, likely because of the low psi they allow us to operate at (tires can deform to sharp objects instead of cutting).
Old 08-12-19, 11:06 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've mostly used 32mm Gatorskins on the tandem with fairly heavy wheels, but do have a set of lighter wheels with 28mm Gatorskins.
I would want something wider for gravel, but there's not much room inside the fork (radial dimension, not width) to go bigger.
Friends that ride gravel tandems have one set up with 650 wheels and fatter tires, but I don't know the details. They have a second tandem set up for road.
Old 08-12-19, 01:42 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Now 27 front, 28 rear 130 PSI each. Used to run closer to 23/24 @ 170 PSI. I think this is better, as the tires are better.
Old 08-13-19, 10:28 AM
vmizera

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 1991 Trek 950 2003 Co-Motion Primera

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Running 650x42 (actual width) Marathons (GreenGuard) on 650B conversion tandem.
One reason for conversion was to be able to use wider tires on gravel. BIG difference going
from 700X32; more comfortable, handles better on paths and can now fit fenders.
Old 08-13-19, 02:03 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Currently, 20x1.5" and 26x1.5". Previous tires were both 1.6"
Old 08-25-19, 11:50 PM
ClayH 

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
I run Conti Ultra Sports 32mm - very compliant ride.
Old 08-26-19, 09:31 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
We have 26" MTB wheels on our tandem. We had 2.1" wide tires, and they tended to rub the fenders, etc. When it came time to replace them, I got Michelin Wild Run'R tires in 1.4" size (36mm). I didn't need to go that narrow, but I liked the tires because they're slick and lightweight. I find the narrower tires are not any harsher, so I'm happy. I inflate the tires to 80 psi. The team plus bike weigh 332 lbs.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-26-19, 02:32 PM
Magnum PI

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
We ride 700 x 28 on our Cannondale.
Old 08-28-19, 12:36 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
2.35in tyres on 50mm supermoto rims (559), that's the maximum i can get in the GT's STS rear suspension frame or i'd go bigger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.