Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sign at campground says... "If you need a bike take one..."

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-09-19, 06:34 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts

I was enjoying an electronics-free camping weekend with my family, hence no photos. Sorry! Anyway as we approached the campground host campsite I saw literally 100 or more bicycles in every shape and size, in about a dozen homemade bike racks. Tiny kids bikes, and bikes with child seats mounted also. There was also a generator with a compressor and an air pump. A large sign read "Guest Bikes. If you need a bike take one, no need to ask. Please respect bikes and return to rack when you are done."

We enjoyed biking around the campgrounds! How Cool is that?!
Likes For riverdrifter:
Old 09-09-19, 06:48 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
They had a trailer available after Burning Man.....
Old 09-09-19, 06:57 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
I was enjoying an electronics-free camping weekend with my family, hence no photos. Sorry! Anyway as we approached the campground host campsite I saw literally 100 or more bicycles in every shape and size, in about a dozen homemade bike racks. Tiny kids bikes, and bikes with child seats mounted also. There was also a generator with a compressor and an air pump. A large sign read "Guest Bikes. If you need a bike take one, no need to ask. Please respect bikes and return to rack when you are done."

We enjoyed biking around the campgrounds! How Cool is that?!
A two fer. Excellent.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-10-19, 06:42 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
No info on location? And it sounded like such a positive recommendation.
Old 09-10-19, 07:19 AM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by thumpism
No info on location? And it sounded like such a positive recommendation.
Fort Kearney State Recreation Area - Kearney, Nebraska

https://nebraskastateparks.reserveam...&parkId=230098
Likes For riverdrifter:
Old 09-10-19, 10:06 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I was at a campground that had a similar set of bikes a few years ago. I went to explore the country roads around the area and had to walk back with a flat tire.

I guess they're nice for toodling around the campground, but not meant for longer rides.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 09-10-19, 12:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
I highly recommend the De Hoge Veluwe National Park. It is one of the largest continuous nature reserves in Holland, measuring in at 5,400 hectares, or 13,343 acres. Hike or cycle through this beautiful natural landscape on a white bike, free of charge, or visit the Kröller-Müller Museum, with its sculpture garden and largest private Van Gogh collection in the world.

Free White Bicycles

The easiest way to explore these wide lands is by bicycle. De Hoge Veluwe National Park has 40 kilometres (25 miles) of cycling paths and 1,800 bicycles for free use. These white bicycles can be found in various locations throughout the park, as well as at the Hoenderloo, Otterlo and Schaarsbergen entrances, allowing you to hop on the saddle as soon as you enter. There are also white bicycles for children (without trainer wheels) and bicycles with front or rear children’s seats.

The Kröller-Müller Museum is a second home to Vincent van Gogh.
The museum boasts almost 90 paintings and more than 180 drawings, making it the second largest collection of Van Goghs in the world. In addition, the museum is home to top works by modern masters including Claude Monet, Georges Seurat, Pablo Picasso and Piet Mondriaan. Temporary exhibitions ensure that the museum keeps pace with all the latest developments and retains public interest.https://www.holland.com/global/touri...e-veluwe-6.htm

Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-10-19, 12:56 PM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I highly recommend the De Hoge Veluwe National Park. It is one of the largest continuous nature reserves in Holland, measuring in at 5,400 hectares, or 13,343 acres. Hike or cycle through this beautiful natural landscape on a white bike, free of charge, or visit the Kröller-Müller Museum, with its sculpture garden and largest private Van Gogh collection in the world.

Free White Bicycles

The easiest way to explore these wide lands is by bicycle. De Hoge Veluwe National Park has 40 kilometres (25 miles) of cycling paths and 1,800 bicycles for free use. These white bicycles can be found in various locations throughout the park, as well as at the Hoenderloo, Otterlo and Schaarsbergen entrances, allowing you to hop on the saddle as soon as you enter. There are also white bicycles for children (without trainer wheels) and bicycles with front or rear children’s seats.

The Kröller-Müller Museum is a second home to Vincent van Gogh.
The museum boasts almost 90 paintings and more than 180 drawings, making it the second largest collection of Van Goghs in the world. In addition, the museum is home to top works by modern masters including Claude Monet, Georges Seurat, Pablo Picasso and Piet Mondriaan. Temporary exhibitions ensure that the museum keeps pace with all the latest developments and retains public interest.https://www.holland.com/global/touri...e-veluwe-6.htm

Fantastic! I'd love to visit!