Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Puncture Resistant Tires?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-25-20, 10:03 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts

In a previous thread I asked what was the best self sealing 700 X 25 tube there is and was shot down on all fronts. The factory self sealing tubes don't work. Injecting tubeless mountain bike sealant into your tube doesn't work with narrow high pressure tires and the puncture resistant strips not only don't work and but can actually cause flats.

So I am going to try a different tack since I want to avoid flats at all costs. Without any regard to weight, what is the best puncture resistant tire on the market? I have heard of Continental's Gator Skins...Thanks,mjac

Last edited by mjac; 02-25-20 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-25-20, 10:17 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
For my money? Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

No tire is perfect (and Gatorskins are good). Sharp metal object will puncture even the most 'bulletproof' tire, but for glass, goatheads, etc., then the Marathon+ is great.

FWIW, I think tire liners causing flats is a grossly exaggerated problem, and at most, you might have to sand smooth the edges of a liner to a nice taper (I have been running tire liners in my streetbikes, mtn bikes, and now recumbent and velomobile for over 20 years, and never had a flat caused by the liner.

Since most of my riding is commuting (although I do ride a lot for fun, I don't have separate machines for that), I go with what is the most flat proof. I'd rather be a little slower, but be able to get to work without worrying about flats.

Currently: Velomobile - Marathon+ (2 x 20" front) 26" rear with Mr. Tuffy liners. The fronts also have Flat Attack sealant in them (the rear doesn't currently). My recumbent is running Schwalbe Kojaks, which are a little faster, but I also have liners in them.

I check my tires ~weekly. Last sunday, after a 30 mile ride, I checked my tires, and pulled a total of 3 mostly intact goatheads, and 8-9 broken thorns from goatheads out of my tires. No flats.
Old 02-25-20, 10:20 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
From my reading Conti GatorSkins and Schwalbe Marathon seem to get a lot of mention. I own neither of those, I ride Conti GP 4 Seasons and so far so good,
Old 02-25-20, 10:28 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
You don't want to consider tubeless?
Likes For bruce19:
Old 02-25-20, 11:41 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
For my money? Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

No tire is perfect (and Gatorskins are good). Sharp metal object will puncture even the most 'bulletproof' tire, but for glass, goatheads, etc., then the Marathon+ is great.

FWIW, I think tire liners causing flats is a grossly exaggerated problem, and at most, you might have to sand smooth the edges of a liner to a nice taper (I have been running tire liners in my streetbikes, mtn bikes, and now recumbent and velomobile for over 20 years, and never had a flat caused by the liner.

Since most of my riding is commuting (although I do ride a lot for fun, I don't have separate machines for that), I go with what is the most flat proof. I'd rather be a little slower, but be able to get to work without worrying about flats.

Currently: Velomobile - Marathon+ (2 x 20" front) 26" rear with Mr. Tuffy liners. The fronts also have Flat Attack sealant in them (the rear doesn't currently). My recumbent is running Schwalbe Kojaks, which are a little faster, but I also have liners in them.

I check my tires ~weekly. Last sunday, after a 30 mile ride, I checked my tires, and pulled a total of 3 mostly intact goatheads, and 8-9 broken thorns from goatheads out of my tires. No flats.
I will take note of the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. But I really do not know what to think. One or maybe two guys just trashed liners, calling them a gimmick that don't work and come loose and cause flats. You say you have been using them for 20 years with no problems with a little care. Do you think they prevent flats? Two or three guys said injecting Tubeless Mountain Bike Tire Sealent in your tubes does not work on narrow, high pressure tires. It just creates a mess. While on the internet finding out just the heck you all call a goat head I saw a video where a guy injected the sealant into the tube of a mounted tire,pumped it up to pressure and drove two tacks and a 4P finish nail into the tire and the sealant sealed it. I do not know what brand of sealant he used. Flat attack works?

If I wanted maximum flat protection you would recommend Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires, Mr. Tuffy Liners and Flat Attack sealant in the tubes?(see your line about going about your business without worrying about flats)

Last edited by mjac; 02-25-20 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-25-20, 11:43 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Conti Gator hard shells and Schwalbe marathon +
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 02-25-20, 11:52 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Conti Gator hard shells and Schwalbe marathon +
Thanks
Old 02-25-20, 12:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
So I am going to try a different tack since I want to avoid flats at all costs. Without any regard to weight, what is the best puncture resistant tire on the market?
If that's truly what you want, then solid tires are it. Any pneumatic tire has some risk of going flat.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-25-20, 12:43 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If that's truly what you want, then solid tires are it. Any pneumatic tire has some risk of going flat.
Let me state this another way. I do not want to get flats that are avoidable. This is a safety issue.

What at are solid tires and what are these inserts people talk about or were the solid tires facetious?
Old 02-25-20, 12:46 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
This is true.

I did note that nothing is fool proof. I have had a few flats, even using tire liners. Everyone of them was something very sharp and metallic (those large, industrial copper box staples are the worst!). In other words, items that would even likely flat a car tire. Never had a flat caused by glass or thorns (even mtn bike riding in the AZ desert) with the tire liners.

The Flat Attack sealant is new for me. I had the shop add it last time I had my velo in for a cassette change. The shop guys swear by it, even while admitting that slime, and the orange stuff are almost useless as a sealant.
Old 02-25-20, 01:04 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
FWIW: I can't attest to any other tire manufacturer but I can say that I have been using Conti Gatorskins since Jan, 2011. Over 70,000 road miles total with only three flats caused by punctures. I've had more flats from valves going bad than punctures. I know that there are other tires on the market that can/will give the same performance, but since I've only used Gatorskins on my road bikes, I can't tell you which one(s) they are.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 02-25-20, 01:33 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
For my daily commuter, I wanted to minimize flats to keep my commute time predictable. For convenience rather than for safety. Changing a flat in 40 degree drizzle in the dark isn't really much fun. At all.

I chose Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 35mm width. Great tire. It's not supple and it's not light weight. It has eliminated puncture flats from this bike over 3 years now. My only flat tire was from a failed valve.

But flats happen on my other bikes.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 02-25-20, 01:46 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
My chum had Marathon Plus when we were touring a couple years ago. Every time I got a flat (too many times to remember them all) he laughed and pointed to his tires... until the last day when he laughed and pointed one last time, then noticed his rim was flat against the ground. I would still recommend those tires, though. Only one flat over many thousands of kms.
Old 02-25-20, 01:58 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Good vision, Rx glasses if you need them, good sunglasses with great contrast qualities, and focused concentration on the road are also known to prevent flats/tire damage. I am going back to Gatorskins folding after a couple of flats with Specialized Armadillos and the tread not lasting like the Gatorskins.
Old 02-25-20, 02:34 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Everyone has their favourite puncture resistant tire. The problem is that a particular tire model can change over time. I have used Continental Gatorskins(not impressed) but that was years ago. Same with Specialized Armadillos. Both these tires are infamous for harsh ride. I have a set of Panaracer Pacela TG(since replaced by PT) tires on my touring bike which I use here in the spring when roads are covered by sharp bits of crushed rock used to provide traction for cars on snow covered roads. I have never had a puncture although I did once suffer a pinch flat which has nothing to do with the tires. The nice thing about the Paselas is the ride quality and their good grip on slippery pavement. Safety is about more than puncture protection. It is about a tire that can hold onto the road in bad conditions
Old 02-25-20, 02:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Michelin Protek Cross Max. The toughest tire I've ever ridden. Never a puncture flat. I've picked out broken glass, small nails and tacks, bits of steel wire from radial tires, but nothing ever penetrated the puncture shield. The thick tread has been slashed down to where the yellow Aramid fiber puncture shield is visible, but nothing penetrated through to nick the tube. Possibly the perfect tire for bombed out roads and folks who are forced to ride the debris-strewn shoulders and gutters.

It's heavy but I use it only on one hybrid that I use for errands and casual rides. The tires don't feel sluggish on that bike, probably because I don't expect it to feel fast.

My other lighter, sportier hybrid wears Continental SpeedRides, a great all purpose tire with a minimal 1 mm thick puncture shield. It's had a few puncture flats, but not enough to worry about.

On my road bikes, I'd rather deal with an occasional flat than ride the lead filled garden hose known as Gatorskins. My only concession to practicality is I use Conti Ultra Sport II tires for everyday use. They're remarkably grippy, tough, durable, smooth rolling and resistant to punctures and cuts despite lacking any puncture shield. And at around $15 each, I don't even care if one gets cut to pieces. So far I'll wear them out from ordinary riding before they get enough nicks to do any damage. The last puncture flat I got was nearly two years ago.

I have a few somewhat better clincher tires: Schwalbe One V-Guards, Conti Grand Prix Classic, Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp. Occasionally I'll mount those when I feel like chasing a KOM or PR. But they're a bit more fragile. One of the first Schwalbe Ones I got was cut to pieces long before the tread was close to being worn out.

If I wanted a puncture resistant tire for a road bike, I'd probably try a Michelin Protek Urban, or one of their tougher road bike tires like the Pro 4 Grip Service Course. Based on my experience with the Protek Cross Max, the Aramid fiber shield seems to ride better than just slapping on extra thick rubber for puncture resistance -- which is pretty much what Schwalbe and Continental do for some tires.
Old 02-25-20, 02:48 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by canklecat
On my road bikes, I'd rather deal with an occasional flat than ride the lead filled garden hose known as Gatorskins.
That was also my impression
Old 02-25-20, 03:06 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by mjac
Let me state this another way. I do not want to get flats that are avoidable. This is a safety issue.
Please explain why this is. In full detail
Old 02-25-20, 03:23 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
The Gatorskin folding tire rides better than the hardshell IMO. I ride 28 mm so I really do not notice a harsh ride. I do not understand why there are so many complaints re: Gatorskins. I cannot see spending $50+ for a tire when I can get Gatorskins for around $35 and they will last 5K miles. I am a recreational-touristy type cyclist so watts and speed really do not apply to me.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 02-25-20 at 04:13 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-25-20, 06:58 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by bruce19
You don't want to consider tubeless?
Well, I have several tube tires right now that I wanted to try and get some use out of and was wandering if I could put a top grade sealent in the tubes for the time being if it would do some good. But if I am forced to upgrade I was considering a top of the line puncture resistant tire in as big a size I can fit, Gator Skins, Schwalbe Marathon Plus, in tubeless and inject the best sealent I can find into it and worry about the mess later. That eliminates pinch flats and most of all my nemesis, valves splitting from the tube or valve failure.
Old 02-25-20, 07:04 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
For my daily commuter, I wanted to minimize flats to keep my commute time predictable. For convenience rather than for safety. Changing a flat in 40 degree drizzle in the dark isn't really much fun. At all.

I chose Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 35mm width. Great tire. It's not supple and it's not light weight. It has eliminated puncture flats from this bike over 3 years now. My only flat tire was from a failed valve.

But flats happen on my other bikes.
That's what I am looking for, reliability. Just a change to a top grade tire made a difference. No sealant? No puncture tape?
Old 02-25-20, 07:11 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
My chum had Marathon Plus when we were touring a couple years ago. Every time I got a flat (too many times to remember them all) he laughed and pointed to his tires... until the last day when he laughed and pointed one last time, then noticed his rim was flat against the ground. I would still recommend those tires, though. Only one flat over many thousands of kms.
I keep hearing about the Schwalbe Marathon Plus over and over again.The only one I was familiar with up until now was the Gator Skins.nI thought everyone would be suggesting Gator Skins.
Old 02-25-20, 09:07 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Good vision, Rx glasses if you need them, good sunglasses with great contrast qualities, and focused concentration on the road are also known to prevent flats/tire damage. I am going back to Gatorskins folding after a couple of flats with Specialized Armadillos and the tread not lasting like the Gatorskins.
This route that I take at sunrise and sunset everyday is almost exclusively on a concrete bike path, no asphalt, so you can see pretty well what's up there. I have gone as far as going up there after seeing glass on the ride and sweeping the area and picking up the glass with a dust pan.
Old 02-25-20, 09:19 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Everyone has their favourite puncture resistant tire. The problem is that a particular tire model can change over time. I have used Continental Gatorskins(not impressed) but that was years ago. Same with Specialized Armadillos. Both these tires are infamous for harsh ride. I have a set of Panaracer Pacela TG(since replaced by PT) tires on my touring bike which I use here in the spring when roads are covered by sharp bits of crushed rock used to provide traction for cars on snow covered roads. I have never had a puncture although I did once suffer a pinch flat which has nothing to do with the tires. The nice thing about the Paselas is the ride quality and their good grip on slippery pavement. Safety is about more than puncture protection. It is about a tire that can hold onto the road in bad conditions
You have a point. I knew you would lose some comfort and handling with a specialized puncture resistant tire, but I did not think it was that much of a difference to affect the ride. If it is not too bad of a trade off and you avoid some flats it would be worth it to me.
Old 02-26-20, 04:41 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
This is true.

I did note that nothing is fool proof. I have had a few flats, even using tire liners. Everyone of them was something very sharp and metallic (those large, industrial copper box staples are the worst!). In other words, items that would even likely flat a car tire. Never had a flat caused by glass or thorns (even mtn bike riding in the AZ desert) with the tire liners.

The Flat Attack sealant is new for me. I had the shop add it last time I had my velo in for a cassette change. The shop guys swear by it, even while admitting that slime, and the orange stuff are almost useless as a sealant.
Ask the guys at the shop if they think putting Flat Attack in the tubes of narrow high pressure tires is worthwhile. Your 2 X 20 and 2 X 26 Velo tires sound like high volume tires to me. I do not know what pressures they run at. Once I am done with my present tires I would also like to try going tubeless with the Gator Skins, Schwalbe Marathon Plus or like Canklecat said Michelin Protek Cross Max to eliminate all possibility of pinch flats and my nemeses valves splitting from tubes and valve failure. Can you find out if this is feasible or is it too messy.

The other thing, despite what some people say, do you believe the Mr. Taffy tire liners prevent flats. I assume you think this is the best brand. For now I would like to put Flat Attack in my tubes and run Mr. Tuffet Liners and see how that works. See what they say...Thanks,mjac

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.