Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 03:51 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Vegetarian Indian food for dinner. If you have a pressure cooker and a rice cooker, you can make anything during the apocalypse.
Including waxed chains.

Old 03-21-20, 04:01 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Including waxed chains.

Would a pressure cooker more effectively wax a chain? I wonder if would drive the wax inside the rollers more.
Old 03-21-20, 04:02 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Solo ride for me today. They're my favorite kind, anyways... like the first half of this ditty.

https://youtu.be/KnIJOO__jVo
Youre a good man, Lester Puppet
Old 03-21-20, 04:04 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by datlas
Not hot
Downright cold, even!
Old 03-21-20, 04:10 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12738 Post(s)
Liked 7,651 Times in 4,058 Posts
The diversion canal was mostly dry enough to ride today, so I got some good suburban gravel action in today! Most of the wet parts were rideable too, but a lot more work.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-21-20, 04:14 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by abshipp
Would a pressure cooker more effectively wax a chain? I wonder if would drive the wax inside the rollers more.
One of the YouTube guys uses a rice cooker, and that's what I had in mind when I made the comment.

In terms of using a pressure cooker... I dunno. I wouldn't think that it would make a difference - the hot wax has pretty low viscosity and one of the things that you do when submerging the chain is to give it some jiggles until bubbles stop coming out of the rollers - but I supposed that it's possible that there would still be some little pockets in there. Whether or not it's enough to make a difference is the question.

On the subject of waxed chains, I'm a little over 150 exceptionally gritty and occasionally wet miles. It's not dead silent, but it's still very quiet and very smooth. It's also still clean to the touch, so I got that goin' fer me, which is nice.
Old 03-21-20, 04:15 PM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Folding bikes don't count.
Correct. The Brompton especially is an affront to the senses.

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Incorrect.

Mini-velos are okay in my book.
Old 03-21-20, 04:15 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
AG and I have instituted a semaphore system where we put a Lego kit on the outside of our laptops to let each other know when we're in calls and can't be disturbed.
I don't know that word. But semaforo is Spanish for traffic light. I think I can put two and two together.

Old 03-21-20, 04:20 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22578 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I don't know that word. But semaforo is Spanish for traffic light. I think I can put two and two together.
I think it’s an archaic term for mechanical RR signal. Up means come through. Diagonal means slow down and horizontal means stop. I think.
Old 03-21-20, 04:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
You never saw Monty Python do Wuthering Heights in semaphore?
Old 03-21-20, 04:24 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
IMO there is no ok group ride now.

My thought process is if the CDC tells us to keep 6 ft from others, viral particles that a person breathes out probably exist in a spherical “cloud” emanating maybe 3 feet in any direction centered on your heading (assuming they’re including a generous safety margin in the 6 ft recommendation).

But that’s standing still or maybe at walking speed. Once you get on a bike and start moving at bike speeds, that sphere turns into an ovoid with most of the bad air (if you’re sick) streaming out behind you. How far? Who knows? It depends on how fast you’re going, wind speed, probably humidity. But it’s likely more than 6 feet. Then simultaneously you have the guy riding behind you moving into your bad air at a much higher rate of speed than a person walking, further decreasing the effective distance between people.

Theres probably some other factors to consider- virus getting dispersed so delivering a lower viral dose to the next guy compared to still air (a good thing), the transient negative effect of exercise on immune function (a bad thing), the amount of virus exhaled based on resp rate (potentially a bad thing) and depth (potentially a good thing).

In short who the F knows. Other than I’m certain it’s a bad thing to do if we can’t say it’s safe.

Right now population health trumps individual health. So group rides are an easy no. Solo rides are problematic- increased risk to the individual at a time when our health care system’s resources should not be diverted. It’s hard for me to say this but I think the moral/ethical/patriotic thing right now is trainer rides.

But I feel like it’s likely that recreational cycling will be banned very soon. So I’m kind of still hanging in there myself with the solo outdoor rides. Struggling with it though because I want to do the right thing and not be selfish but I also want to get out on my bikes.
Pretty much my take, minus the well thought out stuff.

I often think about “bad air,” “clean air,” and the diametrical tactical difference between cycling and sailing.
Old 03-21-20, 04:25 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,734 Times in 2,758 Posts
Walking the talk.

I am over 60, and I have emphysema. This ain't no party.

Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-21-20, 04:26 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by datlas
I think it’s an archaic term for mechanical RR signal. Up means come through. Diagonal means slow down and horizontal means stop. I think.
Semaphore was flags BITD. Railroads used semaphore signals, then lighted semaphore signals, then just plain lights.

Kinda the same with traffic signals I think.

Some automobiles had semaphore style turn signals even.
Old 03-21-20, 04:27 PM
WhyFi

I got in a little ride today. Just as I was contemplating cutting it even shorter than planned, on account of my cold hands, a medium sized, off-leash dog went zig-zagging through traffic, black cone of shame on it's head, blocking any kind of peripheral vision. It took off up a grassy hill, towards a nearby freeway - I had to loop around a bit to follow and try to corral it. By the time that I got to where I wanted to be, a young lady came walking around the corner, leading the dog. She was riding passenger in a passing car and had jumped out to help. She didn't have her phone with her, so I called the owner.

While waiting, I chatted with the girl for a bit, and it turns out that she'd lost a dog when it had slipped its collar and ran in to traffic and was killed. So yeah, it probably meant a lot to her to be able to help like that.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-21-20, 04:28 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

This signal is a little confusing. Stop sign, semaphore and lights...

semaphore turn signal

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 03-21-20 at 04:39 PM. Reason: adding pics.
Old 03-21-20, 04:30 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
This ain't no party.
Is it a disco? It's certainly not fooling around, that's for sure.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-21-20, 04:31 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
This is my second pair of white shoes. So, do you think that it's any coincidence that the guys with the white shoes are also the ones most invested in clean drivetrains via waxing?
not in the least.
Old 03-21-20, 04:32 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
I've been struggling with this thought process myself this past week. As the number of cars on the road has dwindled, particularly in the afternoon when I get off of work, I have been contemplating getting back into bike commuting. But there's the issue of if I get hurt enough to take up ambulance and hospital space. And I live in a part of the world that is not...ahem...particularly familiar with or friendly towards bike riders (with the possible exception of the weekend riders up from the big city) and very little of the infrastructure is bike-friendly, so I could be placing myself in an unacceptably high risk situation for the times. But these mostly empty roads sure are tempting...
I certainly understand and respect that position, but the situation in hospitals here isn’t critical yet and I have to regard crashing or getting smooshed as a very low probability event. This is argumentative, I guess, but it may be riskier to drive on some local roads. Then there is my waning sanity to consider...
Old 03-21-20, 04:34 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I want an alarm cat but instead I have a grandson who is highly allergic to cats.
get one of the furless ones.
Old 03-21-20, 04:34 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
So FINALLY we closed on the sale of our lovely sailboat today.

Things went kind of bat$hit haywire for awhile there. Turns out we picked maybe the worlds worst yacht broker to work with.

Basic story is: we started with a lowball offer, countered, and the buyers mysteriously came up quite remarkably in price. It turns out that when we received the initial written offer, Mr H pointed out to the broker that we shouldn’t be listed as the seller on the paperwork, it should actually be the LLC which we own and which in turn owns the boat.

Well unbeknownst to us that is a very advantageous thing for the buyer. If they buy our business instead of our boat, they owe no sales tax to the state of California. Which is a substantial sum, the sales tax rate here being 10%.

So without our consent or knowledge, our broker used this to negotiate with the buyers, promising them we’d sell them the LLC rather than the boat. Same thing effectively though because the sole asset of the LLC was the boat. This explains why the buyers came up in price so quickly.

The big problem with the yacht broker doing that (aside from not discussing it with us) is that it’s illegal for a yacht broker to broker the sale of a business in the state of California, it has to be done by either a lawyer or a real estate agent. Why? Because yacht brokers don’t know squat about the process of selling a business, as I can attest to by the clueless behavior of both buyers and sellers broker in this instance.

We received several iterations of purchase agreements, none of which mentioned selling the LLC, we knew nothing about it until we’d already come to terms with the buyer and our broker casually mentions the lawyer who does his legal work to transfer the LLC.

WHAT?! Trust me, it’s fine. No, we’re not going to trust you. We’re going to hire our own lawyer and become informed on the subject.

(Meanwhile the stock market is crashing a bit more every day. Pandemic coming for us.)

Turns out consulting with our new Maritime Law lawyer, it is fine to sell the LLC, there’s no downside for us and a big upside for the buyer. But no flipping way I am having a lawyer representing the buyer do my legal work. So more expense to pay our new lawyer.

And jeez, the difficulties it caused with both of these yacht brokers was absurd. They were both used to working with “their guy” and were endlessly suspicious of our guy. They could not wrap their heads around the process and at every step of the way had to verify what our lawyer was saying.

Then after the 27th stupid iteration of the LLC transfer paperwork (insisted upon by the buyers broker who seemed literally to be unable to understand written English because he’d insist on adding some clause that was already in the contract), the buyers broker declares he will not receive the purchase funds from the buyer to hold in his trust account prior to the sale.

Why? Because he can’t do that since it’s illegal for him to broker a sale of a business in the state of California. Yet he’s willing to accept commission on the sale. He insists our lawyer accept the purchase funds into *his* trust account. Our lawyer tries to explain that whilst the brokers are legally neutral parties for the purposes of holding this money in an escrow account, he (our lawyer) is *not* a neutral party, he works for us. So ethically, he should not hold the buyers funds.

We go around and around on this stupid point and finally the lawyer says f it! Give me the money.

Ok now we’re a day and a half from closing but the buyers don’t wire the $ to our lawyer until 4pm the day prior to closing. Closing time rolls around and the money has not yet showed up in the lawyers account. Both brokers are perplexed as to why we won’t just move forward with closing and handing over the bill of sale.

Um, because the buyers haven’t actually paid for the boat yet?

Now the buyers are freaking out, where did their money go? They spend 2 hours on hold with their bank yesterday trying to trace the wire transfer. The money finally shows up in our lawyers account around 7pm last night.

Jeez the whole thing was ridiculous. But we finally closed the sale today.

Sad to see our lovely boat go. But feeling lucky to have sold her at the start of a global recession.

Trying to decide whether to report both brokers to the agency which licenses them.

Last edited by Heathpack; 03-21-20 at 05:09 PM.
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 03-21-20, 04:35 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by BillyD
Shame on you for posting a photo with obvious white balance flaws. Takes less than 2 minutes to fix. We have standards.
Since when?
Old 03-21-20, 04:40 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by ericy
My wife got up at 6AM to go to the Giant. It was kind of picked over. Not much produce, not much protein. I can't help but wonder if people are going to be pitching a lot of produce when it starts to go bad.

I got a growler fill the other day at Iron Hill. They wouldn't fill the growler that I brought - "new rules". They gave me one of theirs and made me promise to bring it back. I don't know quite how this is going to work going forward - if I bring the old one back do they run it through the dishwashing machine so they can reuse it?
Ours wasn’t too bad, but no tofu, whole milk, or raisins. I assume it’s still hoarding, rather than supply, at this point, because the produce was strong. Got a big tray of chicken thighs and I’m making coq au vin.
Old 03-21-20, 04:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Semaphore was flags BITD. Railroads used semaphore signals, then lighted semaphore signals, then just plain lights.

Kinda the same with traffic signals I think.

Some automobiles had semaphore style turn signals even.
In geekery, it's a flag that indicates one process has dibs on a resource and others can't also acquire it. A file, a printer, or a data connection would be an example.

But yes, in English it means a signal flag.
Old 03-21-20, 04:50 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by LAJ
Moderation may be like the three bears... Some is too much, some is too little, some is just right. It would be good if Velo Vol could weigh in on that, but he's become some kind of hybrid, so I'm not sure if remembers being a bear.

I'm sorry, but like it or not, these are very unusual times, not only in the world, but in Bike Forums. You may just have to excuse us all in Addiction, just this once.
What is this...Bike, Forums...of which you speak?
Likes For ls01:
Old 03-21-20, 05:15 PM
ls01
he said member

One of the YouTube guys uses a rice cooker, and that's what I had in mind when I made the comment.

In terms of using a pressure cooker... I dunno. I wouldn't think that it would make a difference - the hot wax has pretty low viscosity and one of the things that you do when submerging the chain is to give it some jiggles until bubbles stop coming out of the rollers - but I supposed that it's possible that there would still be some little pockets in there. Whether or not it's enough to make a difference is the question.

On the subject of waxed chains, I'm a little over 150 exceptionally gritty and occasionally wet miles. It's not dead silent, but it's still very quiet and very smooth. It's also still clean to the touch, so I got that goin' fer me, which is nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.