Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Abusive "Cyclist" On Morning Ride Rant

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Abusive "Cyclist" On Morning Ride Rant

Old 03-29-20, 05:30 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I am a prosecutor and I couldn’t agree with you more.

Having seen what I have seen over the years, I would let this crazy guy go and let nature take her course.
Excellent insight. And sort of the whole point of the post was that I, in fact, never, ever, ever engage with these kinds of people. Never. But today,for whatever set of reasons or non-reasons, I did. I violated my own continuous and longstanding advice to others to disengage and move on. This shows, I suspect, that even very cautious and conservative people like me who are completely non-confrontational can, in the right or wrong set of circumstances, actually be provoked. It is possible to provoke a reaction even from me. And I find that an interesting observation about human nature.
Old 03-29-20, 05:41 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Excellent insight. And sort of the whole point of the post was that I, in fact, never, ever, ever engage with these kinds of people. Never. But today,for whatever set of reasons or non-reasons, I did. I violated my own continuous and longstanding advice to others to disengage and move on. This shows, I suspect, that even very cautious and conservative people like me who are completely non-confrontational can, in the right or wrong set of circumstances, actually be provoked. It is possible to provoke a reaction even from me. And I find that an interesting observation about human nature.
We all have a trigger point. It is usually at its lowest when we least expect people to behave badly, like in the early morning when you are having a nice, easy ride.

Glad you are OK. Be safe!
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 03-29-20, 05:43 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
That is just weird. Best to avoid. I'm seriously angry about some things right now. Trying not to take it out on anyone that doesn't deserve it. Or the mentally incompetent, like that cyclist described in the OP
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-29-20, 06:46 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
There is always that 2% of any group, and I sure that cyclist are no different. They are pretty much what that guy called you.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-29-20, 07:05 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I have found the best way for me to handle this kind of situation is to change the route I am on, turn in any direction, and leave it behind.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-29-20, 07:11 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I have encountered many inconsiderate or idiotic folks whether cyclists, motorists , or pedestrians and have , at times been vocal and let my feelings be known. I interestingly I find that when I do not engage , I tend to get over the anger quicker and get on with my blissful ride. I speak only for myself, Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-29-20, 07:57 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
There's also a good chance the offensive cyclist was mentally challenged in some way. Better to let these things slide than go around punching everyone in the nose.
I was thinking the same.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 03-29-20, 08:01 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
You were waiting for the light to change, he passed you on your RIGHT, and called you an a$$whole while doing it? Is that right? That's flippin bizarre.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 03-29-20, 08:03 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I’m glad things didn’t turn violent on you. You just can’t tell who is on drugs, packing heat and having a generally bad moment that will push them over the edge. Sounds like he had zero concern for his life, therefore none left over for yours. When reading your story (well written) I was hoping you would just catch him offguard and drop him in a fly-by, at least I would have and maybe let go with a laugh. Nahhh that wouldn’t have helped either.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 03-29-20, 08:44 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I had a guy in a red pickup truck "roll coal" on me three days ago. That is, he slowed down to pass me and then stomped on it or whatever he did to cause almost impenatrably black clouds of smoke to envelope me. Obviously a diesel truck that's been modified to pump way more fuel than it could burn. I'd seen Youtube videos where someone did this to someone, and was kind of shocked that some dickhead did it to me. I fantasized about tracking down that truck, putting on my ninja suit, and slashing his tires in the middle of the night. I wouldn't do it, of course, but one just can't help at least thinking it. It's hard to believe such people actually exist, sharing our air. We call these people "oxygen thieves."
I've seen this a number of times and it's still hard to believe someone would modify their truck for the express purpose of assaulting someone who is powerless to retaliate. The definition of a coward.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-29-20, 11:49 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by Biker395
You were waiting for the light to change, he passed you on your RIGHT, and called you an a$$whole while doing it? Is that right? That's flippin bizarre.
Yes. That is exactly correct. I was in the right half of the big, green box.
Old 03-30-20, 12:25 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
If someone is unreasonable and treats you badly, and you don't do anything about it. Sometime in the future they normally do similar things to others, and there may be consequences. Their attitude comes back to bite them.
Likes For alo:
Old 03-30-20, 02:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'd be tempted to keep catching up to him to crank him up some more until he finally blew through the wrong intersection and ended the problem for everyone. Well, everyone except the vehicle that finally shut him up.

There are psychopaths, sociopaths and antisocial misfits everywhere. Most of us -- them, I meant to write them -- just manage to restrain ourselves --themselves, I meant to write themselves -- better. Maybe the only difference between a lunatic and a "normal" person isn't how they think but how they act.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-30-20, 10:36 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
When I encounter a D-head like the one you encountered, either while riding or driving, is to pretend I have a rocket launcher, and just imagine him (or sometimes her) being blown to bits. I know it shouldn't but it helps me forget about it and go on with my day. I would never engage with someone like that. People that do stuff like that are not right in the head in the first place and you don't know what they might be capable of. Besides that, its highly unlikely that anything you say or do would get through to them anyway and that will just anger/frustrate you more.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 03-30-20, 11:13 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Yes. That is exactly correct. I was in the right half of the big, green box.
I read your first post a few times, and it still doesn't make any sense to me. My guess is that you did something inadvertently to impede his progress without knowing it. I'm more of an Idaho stop kind of guy, and it happens to me all the time, but I only swear at people I'm sure won't be able to catch me . Whatever happened it doesn't excuse the behavior obviously.
Likes For kingston:
Old 03-30-20, 11:20 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by kingston
I read your first post a few times, and it still doesn't make any sense to me. My guess is that you did something inadvertently to impede his progress without knowing it. I'm more of an Idaho stop kind of guy, and it happens to me all the time, but I only swear at people I'm sure won't be able to catch me . Whatever happened it doesn't excuse the behavior obviously.
That's a good thought--had not considered that. On the other hand, he was coming from our industrial district. Maybe he was just laid off...
Old 03-30-20, 06:26 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
bpcyclist, having followed your posts for quite a while I know you to be very level headed and patient with a long fuse. You certainly had good reasons for doing what you did. That fella was way "off scale" for whatever was bothering him that morning.....I'm thinking he was really aggravated at something and he was really wanting and maybe needing to impart how he felt on somebody else.....you just happened to be the target of his immature emotions.

We've all been there. Hopefully it didn't mess up your ride that morning.

Sometimes I have to remind myself (about once a ride around here), to not let a motorist or another entity ruin my ride that day. If I let it linger then they've won....and I hate losing!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-30-20, 10:22 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I have encountered many inconsiderate or idiotic folks whether cyclists, motorists , or pedestrians and have , at times been vocal and let my feelings be known. I interestingly I find that when I do not engage , I tend to get over the anger quicker and get on with my blissful ride. I speak only for myself, Joe
But NOT in Ventura County, we are all easy going, considerate, happy cyclists.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 03-30-20, 10:37 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
When I encounter a D-head like the one you encountered, either while riding or driving, is to pretend I have a rocket launcher, and just imagine him (or sometimes her) being blown to bits. I know it shouldn't but it helps me forget about it and go on with my day. I would never engage with someone like that. People that do stuff like that are not right in the head in the first place and you don't know what they might be capable of. Besides that, its highly unlikely that anything you say or do would get through to them anyway and that will just anger/frustrate you more.
I completely agree with all of this, though I confess to not having employed the rocket launcher technique--yet...
Old 03-30-20, 10:40 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by jppe
bpcyclist, having followed your posts for quite a while I know you to be very level headed and patient with a long fuse. You certainly had good reasons for doing what you did. That fella was way "off scale" for whatever was bothering him that morning.....I'm thinking he was really aggravated at something and he was really wanting and maybe needing to impart how he felt on somebody else.....you just happened to be the target of his immature emotions.

We've all been there. Hopefully it didn't mess up your ride that morning.

Sometimes I have to remind myself (about once a ride around here), to not let a motorist or another entity ruin my ride that day. If I let it linger then they've won....and I hate losing!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, jppe--I appreciate it. Thankfully, I was able to turn it around on the back portion of the ride with a whole bunch of very friendly and socially appropriate runners and cyclists, so, faith restored.
Old 03-31-20, 03:13 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
The sort of people described in the OP are the 'ragers we all are concerned about. There's simply no telling what such a person is capable of, if he/she is prepared to be so "off" like that. Scofflaw? Psychopath? Who knows. Disregard of risks and danger ... disregard of civility ... disregard of the law ... zero qualms over lashing out at people ... Wouldn't take much for such a person to be doing the calculus of risk-reward and to actually blow sideways in such a situation, via a full-on attack, or pulling out weaponry. All because the person feels affronted by someone daring to hold them accountable (or even take an interest in what they're doing). You never know.

I'm fully prepared to put a person down, hard, if assaulted. I'm unwilling to ever be the "aggressor" insofar as the law is concerned. And that generally includes letting such abusive scofflaws continue on their karma wheels as they see fit, so long as people aren't directly attacked. But, that's me.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 03-31-20, 08:32 AM
big john

Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Having been spat on, hit with unknown liquids, hit with bottles and cans, hit with a ball of ice, and threatened by all manner of psychopaths I have decided that a little shouting or a few cruel words out of a car window ( you usually can't understand them anyway) aren't that big of a deal. If it happens I just like to smile and wave, or ignore them.
Most of them don't get physical or get out of their car so why encourage it by flipping the bird? I had a friend knocked into a parked car after he flipped a driver off who then circled back to assault him. Hit him with his car and just drove away.
There was a guy in our road club who was a martial arts expert, even spent time in the Guiness Book for some kicking record. Anyway 4 or 5 of them were riding along and an idiot started screaming and threatening them. He pulled his car over and pulled out a cane and started swinging it at them as they rode by. Martial art guy disarmed the fool and put his ass on the street and held him until the cops got there. So there, a happy ending, for once.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-31-20, 08:51 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I have a solution that I can’t mention here but suffice it to say the letters of such...CPL.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 03-31-20, 09:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I feel you. A year or so ago I was rearended by a cyclist when I came to a complete stop at a light due to cross traffic approaching. Instead of apologizing he got mad at me for stopping.

Seems to me more and more these days that people cannot admit their mistakes.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-31-20, 09:04 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
The sort of people described in the OP are the 'ragers we all are concerned about. There's simply no telling what such a person is capable of, if he/she is prepared to be so "off" like that. Scofflaw? Psychopath? Who knows. Disregard of risks and danger ... disregard of civility ... disregard of the law ... zero qualms over lashing out at people ... Wouldn't take much for such a person to be doing the calculus of risk-reward and to actually blow sideways in such a situation, via a full-on attack, or pulling out weaponry. All because the person feels affronted by someone daring to hold them accountable (or even take an interest in what they're doing). You never know.

I'm fully prepared to put a person down, hard, if assaulted. I'm unwilling to ever be the "aggressor" insofar as the law is concerned. And that generally includes letting such abusive scofflaws continue on their karma wheels as they see fit, so long as people aren't directly attacked. But, that's me.
The end game of course is violence for a sociopath. "it's never wrong" in his mind, and, "if caught by police, I will lie my way out of it" and claim I was the victim.

If possible, it is far better to just ignore and do not engage him. Even a remark like, "God loves you" is a stimulus for aggression. "Just wait 'til someone says something to me" is his self-talk. So spit in his soup and do not engage. As one retired homicide detective (my direct manager) once counseled me, "Sticks and stones. . . "

Fortunately, I practiced discretion is the better part of valor and avoided physical confrontations. It is easy to go into a rage and become the criminal as well in the guise of self-defense.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 03-31-20 at 09:10 AM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.