Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Bike Day and Public Service Announcement

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 09:36 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts

Okay, 2002 isn't vintage, but it is steel and it has a horizontal top tube and a quill stem. I figure there's likely to be more appreciation here than on other sub-forums.

I've been daydreaming about this frame for almost five years now, since I first saw it on the RA Cycles Outlet page. The information in the description was all wrong - they had it listed as having an aluminum frame, even though the model name is Laser Acciaio ("acciaio" is Italian for "steel"). It also was not clear whether or not it came with a matching fork. On the other hand, the price was a fraction of the original price and much lower than a comparable new steel frame, less, for example, than my Black Mountain Cycles road bike. Anyhow, a quick phone call to RA confirmed that it did come with a fork.

Since I've been lucky enough to keep my job in all this recent mess, when my stimulus check came I decided to do my duty and put that money right back into the economy: I bought the frameset. Since then I've been in touch with the very friendly folks at Casati who confirmed that it is a 2002 model, made from Deda EOM 16.5 steel. It's fillet brazed, has an Italian bb, takes a 27.0 seatpost and a 32mm front derailleur clamp. I built it up with what the budget would allow: Potenza groupset from Ebay, Fulcrum 5's, and the rest from the parts pile in the shed.

The Public Service Announcement? RA Cycles has another one, size 58.

Old 05-16-20, 06:27 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Oooooh! Very interested in the top of that seat tube. How does that bad boy clamp the seat post?

Gorgeous bike!

Dean
Old 05-16-20, 07:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Oldguyonoldbike

Wow!

Normally not my thing but that is smokin hot, beautiful, lugless, fillet, unicrown and all.
Old 05-16-20, 09:04 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,454 Times in 3,192 Posts
Hey, Norman! You got the roads for that machine on 23mm tires? Hope so, 'cause it looks like it could really carve it up.

I have one bike left with 23mm tires. Glad they haven't worn out. There are some wonderful windy roads around here that warrant them.

Like the potenza choice, too.
Old 05-16-20, 09:20 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Nice, I nearly sprang for this or a DeRosa from their outlet site till I bought the Museeuw frame from planetcyclery; still think maybe I should have done the DeRosa but I'm happy with what I have. Looks like you put a very respectable build on that and something worthy of the frame.
Old 05-16-20, 11:46 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
That thing look like it goes like hot stink. Nice frame details and ooh-la-la filet brazing. That frame could not have been cheap when it was new. I'm glad you are stimulating the economy; it could use some about now. On that front, I am a believer in putting the money onto the hands people who will spend it. Trickle up, FTW.

I too am curious about the seat post fixing. Just a basic quill, like those old Peugeots? The shape of the seat tube seems to complicate that theory.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-17-20, 01:26 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Oldguyonoldbike

Wow!

Normally not my thing but that is smokin hot, beautiful, lugless, fillet, unicrown and all.
Right?!
Same here, Normally a bike that can’t carry a snack and a sweater won’t turn my head, and I’ll take luggs over fillets too, but wowzer! That think looks fast just sittin’ there. And the detail work...

...NICE bike!
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 05-17-20, 04:00 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean51
Oooooh! Very interested in the top of that seat tube. How does that bad boy clamp the seat post?

Gorgeous bike!

Dean
I'd say there's an expander built into the frame, other side of the seat tube or top tube.
Old 05-17-20, 12:06 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Originally Posted by Dean51

Gorgeous bike!

Dean

There's an internal clamp with access to the tightening mechanism on the other side of the top tube. I'm a little paranoid about this. I made a vow to only ever use a torque wrench on it.
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 05-17-20, 12:25 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Hey, Norman! You got the roads for that machine on 23mm tires? Hope so, 'cause it looks like it could really carve it up.

I have one bike left with 23mm tires. Glad they haven't worn out. There are some wonderful windy roads around here that warrant them.

Like the potenza choice, too.
This one will only go on smooth roads!
I took it out this morning and it is a very lively ride, very stiff for steal, lots of, um, "feedback," and quick handling. And wonderfully stable at speed.
To be honest I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of four-arm cranks, but the shifting is pretty great and it let's me run an 11-32 cassette.
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 05-21-20, 06:45 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
This one will only go on smooth roads!
I took it out this morning and it is a very lively ride, very stiff for steal, lots of, um, "feedback," and quick handling. And wonderfully stable at speed.
To be honest I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of four-arm cranks, but the shifting is pretty great and it let's me run an 11-32 cassette.
Here's to hoping to aesthetically grows on you because it's a beaut.