Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Verve Handlebar Modification

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-18-20, 10:49 AM
hannibellemo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, newbie to this site. I have a 19" Trek Verve 2 (?) that I bought 3-4 years ago. Time is a blur. I added an electric bike kit from Dillenger AU because I needed a little boost at my age (60's). I'm a tall, 5'10", female with long arms. I've never felt that the bike fit me as comfortably as I would like and today I decided to ask for help to see what I can do. My bike seat is set quite high and as far back as it will go, my feet don't touch the ground when I'm sitting on it. My handlebar style is straight across and they are also as upright as they will go. I lean on them more than I would like to and my wrists go numb shortly into a ride, which suggests to me that I am either too far away from them or they are too low. I'm wondering if a change in handlebar type would help? Perhaps a more swept-back cruiser style?

The bike was fitted for me at the shop but I've had it for a while now and would like to feel more comfortable riding. Any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-14-22, 04:22 PM
smokeycanuck

Bikes: Trek Verve, Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Take a look at the Surly Moloko, Jones H bar or Velo Orange Crazy bars. There are countless options for swept back bars. Keep in mind, you may have to adjust brake/shifter cables if the current lengths wont work with the new bars.

Last edited by smokeycanuck; 03-14-22 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-14-22, 06:21 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I recently bought this 35 degree sweep bar and I really like it. I prefer slightly less than the 45 degree sweep on some of the more popular bars. This one is fairly wide, has a slight rise, and is pretty affordable.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08QYV1S...roduct_details
Old 03-14-22, 07:16 PM
hannibellemo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for both of your replies, smokeycanuck and hokiefyd! I'd given up hope of hearing from anyone. You've given me some good ideas.
Old 03-15-22, 08:12 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
The height of the saddle is in relationship to the pedals, not the ground. Your knee should have just a slight bend in it when at the bottom of the pedal stroke. And how far back is also in relation to the pedal, and how far back or forward the seat is should not enter in your relation to the handlebar, that distance can be adjusted by stem length. Your shop should have adjusted fore/aft position of the saddle for your best foot position on the pedals. Sounds like a "moustache" style handlebar might work for you. Many available, search by bicycle moustache handlebar and lots will come up. If you buy a bar online, be certain it fits the spec of the stem (31.8mm).

Last edited by freeranger; 03-15-22 at 08:44 AM.