Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 08:48 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
I'm a pretty aggressive rider, so I want some margin of safety. At the same time, I know how to ride carefully and wish to be able to remove the tire without damaging it (fixing flats). I also live in a pretty flat area with only a few short but steep hills. Basically old school racer dude.

If you want some margin of safety, then use glue. Mastik (prob the most used currently) does not prevent the tire from being removed without damage,

nor do others IME. The idea that one needs to ride carefully so as not to have the tires come off is unfounded and will mess up your results and enjoyment.

You are likely not as aggressive a rider as top pros, and they don't hold back, in spite of arguably skimpier glue jobs that those of the anxious amateurs.
Old 07-15-20, 08:33 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Like smantanaro, I find the hand brush works well except on fendered bikes. That rear wheel, already prone to more flats just being a rear wheel, never gets brushed. Tiresavers are a real plus there, (They always went on my fendered and tubular bikes. Front was not required but I did on my rain bikes to keep my gloves cleaner.

Trick to reducing the noise - ride rib tread tires, those tires with longitudinal parallel ribs. Those were common on training level tubulars 45 years ago and Vittoria has brought it back with their G+ and G2,0 tires. (Aside - also my favorite tread pattern ever, Thank you Vittoria for bringing it back! Best tread ever if you have to leave the paved road surface and climb back on.)

Ben
I found myself wiping my back tire yesterday. I grabbed the seat tube and used the backs of my gloved fingers.

Old 07-15-20, 08:35 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
And I've decided to go with Yellow Jersey for my remaining two tires. I very much enjoy working with those folks.

Old 07-15-20, 01:00 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
I have a couple Challenge Strada tubulars (25mm) which I liked well, but which "delaminated" a while ago. I decided I would see if I could reattach the tread to the casing and stumbled on this web page

Cross Tubular Tread Repair

The author suggests this tread separation is fairly common with handmade tubulars. These Challenge sew-ups are the only ones which have suffered this way for me. I've not yet tried this repair. I'm still mulling over what sort of glue/contact cement I should use. I have a number of different things to try, Vittoria Mastik One, barge cement and cork renew (which is used for refreshing latex tanwalls). Or I can go find E-6000 at the hardware store.
Old 07-16-20, 05:08 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by smontanaro
I have a couple Challenge Strada tubulars (25mm) which I liked well, but which "delaminated" a while ago. I decided I would see if I could reattach the tread to the casing and stumbled on this web page

Cross Tubular Tread Repair

The author suggests this tread separation is fairly common with handmade tubulars. These Challenge sew-ups are the only ones which have suffered this way for me. I've not yet tried this repair. I'm still mulling over what sort of glue/contact cement I should use. I have a number of different things to try, Vittoria Mastik One, barge cement and cork renew (which is used for refreshing latex tanwalls). Or I can go find E-6000 at the hardware store.

I'd use Barge. Stick some bits in to keep the tread separate from the casing while the glue dries.

No need for all that tape, etc. & you can see the result.
Old 07-19-20, 11:54 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Bumping to ask about that CX-10 tape.
Note on the website said the tape is used to fill in over glue to ensure full adhesion. Is that just a cya example or should it only be used with glue??

Asking because can't find an online review anywhere for this tape but like the price as I have 3 sets of wheels to set up.
Old 07-19-20, 03:34 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Bumping to ask about that CX-10 tape.
Note on the website said the tape is used to fill in over glue to ensure full adhesion. Is that just a cya example or should it only be used with glue??

Asking because can't find an online review anywhere for this tape but like the price as I have 3 sets of wheels to set up.
I used some Jantex tape recently--being a cheap New Englander I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame because you get enough for two wheels for less than ten bucks. I haven't removed a tire yet, so have no idea how that will go, but the adhesion seems very strong.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 07-20-20, 09:18 AM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
I purchased a set of used carbon tubulars from a local wheel builder for ny Cannondale. The set came with like new Vittoria Corsa tires already glued by the builder. They were team wheels but everyone switched to tubeless.

I got a blow out on the rear, sidewall from debris, had a spare, could not for the life of me get that tire off of the rim on the side of the road. I had to call the wife.

At home, it took me about 25 minutes of prying with a plastic lever to get enough tire off of the wheel to pull the rest. He glued them like you need to glue cross tires. A three day process he told me.

Glue overkill! I never had such a hard time getting a tire off.

Decided to replace both tires with a more moderate glue job.
Old 07-20-20, 03:01 PM
tcpasley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
How many tires to buy?

Wondering how many tires y'all experienced tub riders purchase when you find a good deal. I guess the short answer is "more than 2". Is it 3 or 4 or multiples of 2?

Being of thrifty Scots descent, I usually try to rotate clinchers to get the most miles possible out of a pair, which may not be practical with tubs. Any advice on that?
Old 07-21-20, 12:32 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by tcpasley
Wondering how many tires y'all experienced tub riders purchase when you find a good deal. I guess the short answer is "more than 2". Is it 3 or 4 or multiples of 2?

Being of thrifty Scots descent, I usually try to rotate clinchers to get the most miles possible out of a pair, which may not be practical with tubs. Any advice on that?

Not more than two. Have to resist buying when the sales come by as it would take ten years to wear out what I have mounted or on hand.

Mostly it's just replacing the back tire- the front doesn't wear much.
Old 07-21-20, 12:39 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
I purchased a set of used carbon tubulars from a local wheel builder for ny Cannondale. The set came with like new Vittoria Corsa tires already glued by the builder. They were team wheels but everyone switched to tubeless.

I got a blow out on the rear, sidewall from debris, had a spare, could not for the life of me get that tire off of the rim on the side of the road. I had to call the wife.

At home, it took me about 25 minutes of prying with a plastic lever to get enough tire off of the wheel to pull the rest. He glued them like you need to glue cross tires. A three day process he told me.

That sucks. Maybe needed a knife in the kit to cut the tire off.
Old 07-21-20, 08:27 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch

I experienced similar when I had to change my first tape job. Arthritis in my thumbs. I now carry Mafac tire levers.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 07-21-20, 09:23 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts

i have 3 one for a spare and the plan is to rotate the rear to space duty when it is worn ymmv

Old 07-21-20, 09:57 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts

Most recently I bought 5, because the ones I *really* liked were being discontinued. I don't rotate them, and I don't get many flats, so when the rear is worn out I replace front and rear both, and if I do get a flat before then, I'll have some used front ones to put on.

I think most sensible people start off by over-doing it. I re-evaluate my glue jobs every time I need to take a tire off and I still over-do it but not by nearly so much. Damn hard to get off, but not damn near impossible.
Old 07-21-20, 11:59 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I think most sensible people start off by over-doing it. I re-evaluate my glue jobs every time I need to take a tire off and I still over-do it but not by nearly so much. Damn hard to get off, but not damn near impossible.
I did my first glue job this past weekend with Tubasti and a hard anodised rim. Way too skimpy! The glue didn't properly bond with the rim and left a couple 3" chunks completely de-bonded. Sanded the rims a bit today; will glue tomorrow. TubAsTI!!!
Old 07-21-20, 12:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
I did my first glue job this past weekend with Tubasti and a hard anodised rim. Way too skimpy! The glue didn't properly bond with the rim and left a couple 3" chunks completely de-bonded. Sanded the rims a bit today; will glue tomorrow. TubAsTI!!!
Did you clean the rim with solvent or powerful cleanser and get ALL of the oil and manufacturing stuff off?

I never trust new rims. Wouldn't race them until I'd pulled off a tire and the glue stayed on the rim. Sanding isn't necessary but I doubt it hurts. But sanding the surface oil into the scratches means its still on. Clean all those bare spots. Then you can fill them and let that harden. Then you can re-glue and mount the tires.

Once you have a good base and little glue pulls up with a pull-off, you will have what I loved - a good reliable, secure system where pulling the tires isn't impossible and can be done on the road and spare tires mount and stick plenty well enough to get you home. (Some glue pulling up happens. Not a big deal. This isn't like clinchers with their wire beads that MUST be very close to exactly the right diameter or mounting is completely impossible or the tire slips off and blows. Glue is VERY forgiving of discrepancies and once you've forgotten, it doesn't matter.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-23-20, 11:31 PM
Sb23539

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New rims with issues
Old 07-25-20, 10:32 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I used some Jantex tape recently--being a cheap New Englander I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame because you get enough for two wheels for less than ten bucks. I haven't removed a tire yet, so have no idea how that will go, but the adhesion seems very strong.
Somehow I ended up with more sets of tubular wheels (and rims) than I've ever wanted to own, . I keep thinking it's time to start riding them again because I love the way they ride but gluing them is no fun. Tape is the way to go. $10 for 2 wheels which is what Jantex runs isn't bad. The Effeto Mariposa Carogna gets good reviews but it's $20 for 2 wheels.

Have you been using those taped on tubulars going down the mountains near you?
Old 07-25-20, 12:02 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Somehow I ended up with more sets of tubular wheels (and rims) than I've ever wanted to own, . I keep thinking it's time to start riding them again because I love the way they ride but gluing them is no fun. Tape is the way to go. $10 for 2 wheels which is what Jantex runs isn't bad. The Effeto Mariposa Carogna gets good reviews but it's $20 for 2 wheels.

Have you been using those taped on tubulars going down the mountains near you?
Well, they're not exactly mountains, but I'm on the height of land between the St. Lawrence and Connecticut Rivers. There are a lot of long steep climbs. I don't have many miles on the new wheels, in part because I'm recovering from a shovel wound on my shin several weeks ago (don't ask.) I'm also not an aggressive cornerer on steep descents. But I have a lot of confidence in the tape just from trying to shift the tires with my fingers--they seem to be really stuck on there. And as you say, the price is right.

Eugene Sloane mentions Jantex tape as an alternative to cement in my 1969 copy of The Complete Book of Bicycling. So the stuff has apparently been around for awhile.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 07-25-20, 12:20 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
Well, they're not exactly mountains, but I'm on the height of land between the St. Lawrence and Connecticut Rivers. There are a lot of long steep climbs. I don't have many miles on the new wheels, in part because I'm recovering from a shovel wound on my shin several weeks ago (don't ask.) I'm also not an aggressive cornerer on steep descents. But I have a lot of confidence in the tape just from trying to shift the tires with my fingers--they seem to be really stuck on there. And as you say, the price is right.

Eugene Sloane mentions Jantex tape as an alternative to cement in my 1969 copy of The Complete Book of Bicycling. So the stuff has apparently been around for awhile.
its all a matter of perspective. If you live in the middle of Iowa those hills near you look like mountains. I managed to end up with 6 tubular wheelsets which are right around 6 more than I need. Old bikes just seem to grow tubulars.
Old 07-30-20, 06:36 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts

Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon Tubular Road Tyre

From Wiggle...
I've run a set of these for awhile. Didn't really like them at first but once you get the pressures right they are excellent. So I just ordered a second set at $55 Cad each. But when I check the price in US funds they are $62.21 odd but still a good deal. If you don't mind black walls.

https://www.wiggle.com/tufo-hi-compo...rr=USD&dest=18

Last edited by Wileyone; 07-30-20 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-02-20, 12:14 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Speaking of Tufos, I got a great deal on Tufo Tubular Clincher C S33 PRO 24 tires from BikeInn back in June, and they arrived last week. Yesterday I had time to mount them on my mid-90s Mavic Cosmic Expert wheels. My thumbs still hurt from stretching them onto the rims. Took a good 15-20 minutes each, plus time to adjust the ribs on the tires into the lock edge on the clincher rim. They look great. It might be a few weeks before I have a chance to ride them. I'm in the middle of a house sale and have no time for riding.

For those who are curious, these really are tubular tires which fit on clincher rims.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 08-02-20 at 12:19 PM.
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 08-03-20, 06:24 AM
bikerosity57

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone

Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon Tubular Road Tyre

From Wiggle...
I've run a set of these for awhile. Didn't really like them at first but once you get the pressures right they are excellent. So I just ordered a second set at $55 Cad each. But when I check the price in US funds they are $62.21 odd but still a good deal. If you don't mind black walls.

https://www.wiggle.com/tufo-hi-compo...rr=USD&dest=18
so these tires have none of the advantages of ease of mounting /maintaining/repair ability of a clincher tire, nor the lightness of a tubular tire? I know for a fact they cost as much as two or three regular tires. Why would anyone want them?
Old 08-03-20, 07:16 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerosity57
so these tires have none of the advantages of ease of mounting /maintaining/repair ability of a clincher tire, nor the lightness of a tubular tire? I know for a fact they cost as much as two or three regular tires. Why would anyone want them?
I think you quoted the wrong person.
Old 08-03-20, 08:21 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Have been recently experiencing some slow leaks on tubulars mounted a few years ago. The kind of leak that doesn't interrupt a ride, but the next morning a tire is very low or flat. Only the Specialized Turbo shows a lot of wear. The 30mm Schwalbes (my preferred gravel road tire) have many small tire 'cuts', that might let in grit.

I hate uncertainty. So yesterday I spent a couple of hours (including the check rides) adding liquid latex to 3 sets of wheels. I think it's time well spent. Will do the rest of the tubulars over the next month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.