Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kool Stop Rim Brake Pads thumbs up

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-05-20, 06:50 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

Just installed the Kool Stop blacks to replace the pads in my 105 rim brakes. Better modulation and stopping power. I'm impressed. They aren't as thick as I expected but have a profile that allows for better modulation (back side contacts first). This likely will wear over time though. Not sure about longevity obviously
Likes For Symox:
Old 08-06-20, 04:36 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Yeah, after 8 years back into cycling, and only using Shimano pads, I switched to some Swissstop BXB and they are much much better in dry and wet.

Wonder why I waited so long.
Old 08-06-20, 06:41 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Why doesn't someone like GCN do tests along these lines.. actual product/brand side-by-sides? SStop vs KoolStop vs Shimano etc.
Old 08-06-20, 06:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,484 Times in 7,316 Posts
I use their Kool Stop Mountain Salmon pads on my touring bike's canti brakes. Love them.
Old 08-06-20, 08:23 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Kool Stop salmons on my DD, they work far better than the pads SRAM put in originally
Old 08-06-20, 09:13 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Why doesn't someone like GCN do tests along these lines.. actual product/brand side-by-sides? SStop vs KoolStop vs Shimano etc.
Though I don't consider GCN to be the pinnacle of third party testing, it might be that testing multiple pads can be too time consuming on a complex system like a bike.

The simplest test I can think of would be to test off of a bike, say on a fork. You'd want to use the same wheel to control for differences in bearing drag and braking surface finish. You'd want to accelerate the wheel to the same rpm, so maybe have a cycling computer or other way to measure that. Then you'd want to use a precise and repeatable cable pull, maybe a weight on the cable, used for all tests.

Then test, test, test... average the times, and see which pad brings the wheel to a complete stop soonest, on average? Even installation differences can materially affect testing performance. Then, what does the test tell you?

I don't think anyone besides pad manufacturers are interested in rubber compound characteristics like Shore hardness, which affects wear life, durability, and rim wear. They all work well when installed properly, with the downside being that the majority of Shimano's pads are likely engineered for adequacy as OEM equipment, rather than performance.
Old 08-06-20, 10:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Though I don't consider GCN to be the pinnacle of third party testing, it might be that testing multiple pads can be too time consuming on a complex system like a bike.

The simplest test I can think of would be to test off of a bike, say on a fork. You'd want to use the same wheel to control for differences in bearing drag and braking surface finish. You'd want to accelerate the wheel to the same rpm, so maybe have a cycling computer or other way to measure that. Then you'd want to use a precise and repeatable cable pull, maybe a weight on the cable, used for all tests.

Then test, test, test... average the times, and see which pad brings the wheel to a complete stop soonest, on average? Even installation differences can materially affect testing performance. Then, what does the test tell you?

I don't think anyone besides pad manufacturers are interested in rubber compound characteristics like Shore hardness, which affects wear life, durability, and rim wear. They all work well when installed properly, with the downside being that the majority of Shimano's pads are likely engineered for adequacy as OEM equipment, rather than performance.
Of course it would be assumed that such a test would be what we're familiar with when GCN "does science".. eg.

Old 08-06-20, 11:01 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Just installed the Kool Stop blacks to replace the pads in my 105 rim brakes. Better modulation and stopping power. I'm impressed. They aren't as thick as I expected but have a profile that allows for better modulation (back side contacts first). This likely will wear over time though. Not sure about longevity obviously
If anything, shouldn't the front side contact first? I set mine up so they contact evenly since they will anyway after several miles of use, and newer, more rigid calipers don't flex.
Old 08-06-20, 11:40 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
If anything, shouldn't the front side contact first? I set mine up so they contact evenly since they will anyway after several miles of use, and newer, more rigid calipers don't flex.
Yes, toe-in is great for braking modulation and reducing squeal. Kool Stop mountain type pads have patented(?) angled tips that face the back of the bike, supposedly to clear debris and water from the braking surface and make braking more predictable. These tips are also proud of the rest of the pad, again, supposedly to help set toe-in when installing them. Properly installed, the angled tip makes contact at the back around the same time as the front edge of the pads.
Old 08-06-20, 12:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,379 Posts
Swisstop BXP are even better.
Old 08-06-20, 03:32 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
OP, I'm a big fan of the Kool Stop dual compound Dura 2's for alloy rims.
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 08-06-20, 04:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,909 Times in 2,542 Posts
Or,you can just listen to posters who say that KoolStops are very good pads. Over and over again. Who knows. They might be on to something.
Old 08-06-20, 04:50 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Or,you can just listen to posters who say that KoolStops are very good pads. Over and over again. Who knows. They might be on to something.
I've been eating a few almonds every day now for the last few months and I haven't gotten Covid.
Old 08-06-20, 04:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Isn't GCN British , not stateside based, and so their views are defined by their location?
Old 08-06-20, 04:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Isn't GCN British , not stateside based, and so their views are defined by their location?
Definitely. Braking in wet weather is much more heavily focused upon.
Old 08-07-20, 12:21 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Note that kool stop salmon stop working when it is over ~108F.
The black compound ones don't have that problem.
Old 08-07-20, 12:33 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by noisebeam
Note that kool stop salmon stop working when it is over ~108F.
The black compound ones don't have that problem.
While I don't typically ride in the vicinity of the Devil's *******, I'm curious about why and how the salmon pads stop working at such unholy temperatures.
Old 08-07-20, 12:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

While I don't typically ride in the vicinity of the Devil's *******, I'm curious about why and how the salmon pads stop working at such unholy temperatures.
Yeah, 108 doesn't sound that high really, especially if in sun, with blacktop, and heat generated from braking itself.
Old 08-07-20, 01:03 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Yeah, 108 doesn't sound that high really, especially if in sun, with blacktop, and heat generated from braking itself.
This is 108F+ ambient in the shade. Add in full direct sun and radiant heat from 160F blacktop, plus braking heat. They get real squishy and slick, worse than a regular pad in rain. This is all my experience over multiple trials, not verified by others or kool-stop.
Old 08-07-20, 02:19 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by noisebeam
This is 108F+ ambient in the shade. Add in full direct sun and radiant heat from 160F blacktop, plus braking heat. They get real squishy and slick, worse than a regular pad in rain. This is all my experience over multiple trials, not verified by others or kool-stop.
Wait, how do you know about braking in the rain?

This seems like something Kool Stop would want to know about. Frankly, they're probably the only ones who can answer as well.
Old 08-07-20, 02:26 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Wait, how do you know about braking in the rain?

This seems like something Kool Stop would want to know about. Frankly, they're probably the only ones who can answer as well.
It rains in the winter (cold showers) and fall (hot monsoon thunderstorms) and I have had many rainy rides including a couple of centuries- one of the reasons I tried salmon kool stops. Many years ago I contacted Kool Stop about it and they hadn't heard of it. I've duplicated the result multiple times across three different bikes and pads including cleaning rims and resurfacing pads.
Old 08-07-20, 09:53 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Did some more riding, even more impressed. Seem to be less messy than the Shimano pads. Less muck on the rims after a ride.

Very happy with my purchase
Old 08-07-20, 11:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Whatever. I removed my brake pads, it saved me 30 grams.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-07-20, 11:57 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Swisstop BXP are even better.
I inserted Swissstop BXPs in my Ultegra R8000 brakes and found the improvement to be fleeting. At first, they reallly grabbed. But after a few hundred milestThere was no discernible improvement and I eventually went back to Shimano. And along the way, I replaced all brake housing and cables, checked pad toe, sanded both the pads and the rims, and even took it to my LBS.

Sorry, I saw no improvement with Swissstop.
Old 08-08-20, 06:59 AM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I love my Kool Stop Salmon pads and leave them on my bike full time. Modulation and stopping power is great and they don't seem to collect grit and metal shards like the stock Shimano pads so hopefully rim life is extended. I'm not riding in 108º weather with any pads so I'm not concerned about their supposed, broiler level, heat performance.
Likes For Jazzguitar:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.