Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Favourite Brand Bib Shorts

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Favourite Brand Bib Shorts

Old 07-28-20, 05:00 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I have worn my Black Bibs Ultimate about 15 times now and I have nothing bad to say about them. Will order a third pair soon. When something works and is $ reasonable, why change?
Old 07-28-20, 07:49 PM
leo95se

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have Castelli, pactimo, bellweather, cannondale.

the cannondale don’t work for me they leave pressure in the wrong place.

the castelli are nice but anything longer than 20mi and they move around a lot. I was riding today in them and thought my seat was loose due to the ease of shifting in my saddle! Even with chamois cream they just don’t seem to sit well.

the pactimo are amazingly soft and comfy. I don’t have enough seat time in them but don’t get the feeling that they are long distance designed. (For me that would be over 50mi)

the bellweather are my fave. Never move, perfect comfort, very well fit.

Bibs are clearly a very personal thing, so without everyone offering their size, shape, riding style, it’s kind of hard to pluck what’s best based on what works for another.
Old 08-06-20, 11:38 PM
hebecb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Of the ones I've tried over the past few years... the sugoi rs pro fit me the best. They are great for 100+ mile rides (for me) the problem (again for me) is the stitching on the chamois blows out and the shorts usually last less than a year. This has happened may 4 times but everytime I go out and try on a bunch of pairs they still end up fitting the best so I grudgingly spend the $$.

assos are great. I've got a pair that is still in use from the late 80s!!! Theyve always been tight in the crotch but they're modern chamois does not stitch to the lycra in the place where the sugoi blow out. The pad sometimes get into a funky position that I have to deal with but I've taken them on 200 mile rides and they do the job. They still don't fit as well as the sugoi but I am getting tired of having to replace them so often.
Likes For hebecb:
Old 08-07-20, 01:09 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
many here like Castelli Free Aero Race bibs, and buy a couple pairs whenever they go on sale(which hasn't happened since December).
I just bought a pair of these as my first bibs and tried them on - fit was fine through the legs and waist but the suspenders seemed tight/short. Now, I don't have the classic cycling body - heavier - so am a bit surprised the height of an XL really isn't enough for my 6' body/shoulders.

Just try another brand or are tight suspenders part of bibs? (I've been wearing shorts to now).
Old 08-07-20, 02:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
I just bought a pair of these as my first bibs and tried them on - fit was fine through the legs and waist but the suspenders seemed tight/short. Now, I don't have the classic cycling body - heavier - so am a bit surprised the height of an XL really isn't enough for my 6' body/shoulders.

Just try another brand or are tight suspenders part of bibs? (I've been wearing shorts to now).
Castelli Free Aero Race bibs do have pretty short (and thin) straps. I'm just over 6' and the straps on size XL are pretty tight. By comparison, the straps on Assos size XL are a little bit longer and wider. Still, I like them both ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-07-20, 02:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Castelli Free Aero Race bibs do have pretty short (and thin) straps. I'm just over 6' and the straps on size XL are pretty tight. By comparison, the straps on Assos size XL are a little bit longer and wider. Still, I like them both ...
Ditto.. I'm 6'2" and my XL straps feel short standing, however when in riding position I don't notice them anymore. Of note, the Free Aero Race 3(?) bibs I have seem to have slightly longer straps than the current 4 version.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-07-20, 02:46 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I use Assos and La Passione for my long distance rides, and mid-range Castellis, Giordanas, Sportful, Craft for my short (<2 hour) weekday rides. The days I have brick workouts, it is De Soto / Zone3 trisuits and the TT bike.

Incidentally, I am working with someone i know who has started his own cycling clothing business to come up with a more value-driven alternative to Assos, with a focus on premium padding over other features. Still in early stages.
Old 08-07-20, 04:39 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy

suspenders on bibs are often tight when standing, but fit better in a cycling position.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-07-20, 04:51 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
. Of note, the Free Aero Race 3(?) bibs I have seem to have slightly longer straps than the current 4 version.

this older style of Free Aero Race bibs was cut a little taller than the Free Aero 4 bibs. I wish I could find more of them in a Large.
Old 08-07-20, 04:53 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Pactimo Ascent Vector.
Comfortable on all-day rides, definitely the most comfortable bibs I've ever worn.
I've pretty much switched to these and don't use anything else, unless it comes from an event which is supplied by another vendor.
Either stock or custom, I've done thousands of dollars in custom orders from them, and I've had nothing but excellent results.
Old 08-07-20, 08:44 PM
kgcabs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 6 Posts
eliel....no ones close
Old 08-08-20, 12:46 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Favorite bibs: Bellwether Newton and Garneau Neo Power.

Least favorite bibs: Garneau Carbon bibs (stretched out and flop around after 1/2 a season), Assos (pinched in all the wrong places.)
Old 08-08-20, 08:33 PM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Can someone give me an idea of how much better the Progetto pad is than the Kiss 2?

Im stepping up my bibs after 8 years of low level bibs because of some bad rub spots. Really bad.

Though, my 18$ Nalini from Merlin have been great. Problem is from funkier that have seemed to lose their shape.

Still. I want to give the higher end ones a try. Free race or competizone?
Old 08-08-20, 08:58 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Can someone give me an idea of how much better the Progetto pad is than the Kiss 2?

Im stepping up my bibs after 8 years of low level bibs because of some bad rub spots. Really bad.

Though, my 18$ Nalini from Merlin have been great. Problem is from funkier that have seemed to lose their shape.

Still. I want to give the higher end ones a try. Free race or competizone?
I can't comment on the Kiss2 pad, but I will say that they run small. I'm an XL in Castelli race fit gear, but Large in every other brand.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-08-20, 10:57 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime

I have a pair with the progretto 2 and they were very very nice until they started to rub me raw. No idea what changed or why but never had that with the kiss pads (my rides are typically 10+ hours).
Likes For znomit:
Old 08-09-20, 12:18 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Assos Centos are both the best bibs and most expensive I've had.
Old 08-10-20, 09:37 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Assos or Loffler I also like some of my Castelli bibs.

Old 08-11-20, 06:46 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
this older style of Free Aero Race bibs was cut a little taller than the Free Aero 4 bibs. I wish I could find more of them in a Large.
Hmm, I have a couple pair of the 4s coming this week ($148 from Merlin, cheapest I could find, my team kits won't get here till at least October and I needed some new ones now), the 3s weren't too tight, but a lil shorter might be. Hope not. I'm 6' and wear a Large.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 08-11-20, 07:25 AM
swifty
commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I like my Craft Hale Glow bibs, with their C1 Infinity chamoix. Previously had assos mille, which were nice as well, but fragile. I prefer the Craft bibs.
Likes For swifty:
Old 08-11-20, 07:33 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
The Black Bibs

Started with Amazon specials Baleaf shorts then Sponeed & Prezwalski bibs which are ok when brand new but after 15 or so washes (gentle cycle) they are less effective. I recently bought a pair of "the black bibs" and these are clearly better, I have a pair of Pearl Izumi's on order as a lot of locals wear those as well
Old 08-11-20, 08:35 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Hmm, I have a couple pair of the 4s coming this week ($148 from Merlin, cheapest I could find, my team kits won't get here till at least October and I needed some new ones now), the 3s weren't too tight, but a lil shorter might be. Hope not. I'm 6' and wear a Large.
Merlin was the best price I could find as well. I went with XL this time, and they fit me perfect(6'2" 188lbs). The large FA4 were a little too tight in the thigh area, and I think it lead to premature wear,
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-13-20, 06:00 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Merlin was the best price I could find as well. I went with XL this time, and they fit me perfect(6'2" 188lbs). The large FA4 were a little too tight in the thigh area, and I think it lead to premature wear,
Two rides now in the FA4s, don't care for the silicone leg grippers, never had an issue with the old style, I feel like it was just something the designers changed so they can say they added a "feature". But the straps are fine for me, and the fit and comfort is the same, which is great.
Old 08-13-20, 06:22 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I tried Ale Corsa bibs because they were on sale, PBK. I like them enough to order a second one, this time from CRC. Medium black yellow for $57 usd.
Old 08-15-20, 06:25 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I'm 6' and wear a Large.
I went with XL this time, and they fit me perfect(6'2" 188lbs)
I am 6' and range from 176 to 185lb* and I wear a M in Assos, Castelli, La Passione, DeSoto. Pretty much everything. Yet all guides i have read say I should be in a L. Go figure.

(*And no, it isnt all in the gut)
Old 08-15-20, 04:42 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
$134 from Sigma Sports.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.