Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Why would anyone not want to have Gear Indicators on their Gear Shifters?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-25-15, 04:54 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

To my sheer and utter amazement, I have noticed the odd person say that they prefer Gear Shifters without any Gear Indicators on them, and this is something that I am struggling mightily with to understand.

Apparently their main defense is that you can just look down between your legs to work out which gear you are in and go from there.

For the life of me I don't know why you would want to make your cycling life more difficult than it needs to be, yet some people do.

Interested to hear other people's thoughts on whether they like their to be a Gear Indicator on their shifter or not, and if not, why that is.
Old 08-25-15, 05:21 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
Good Lord ... mountain out of a molehill, ColonelS?

To answer your question from my perspective: couldn't care less whether my shifters have 'indicators' or not. They are useless. Never look at them, and don't need to 'look down' to know what gear I'm in.

Why not? Simple: I can tell by feel whether I need to shift down or up to sustain my preferred cadence. Legs pushing too hard/cadence slowing, obviously need a lighter gear; the reverse -- harder gear.

That's why road shifters rarely have indicators, except some at the entry-level.
Likes For badger1:
Old 08-25-15, 05:36 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
To my sheer and utter amazement, I have noticed the odd person say that they prefer Gear Shifters without any Gear Indicators on them, and this is something that I am struggling mightily with to understand.
Style points, at least partly. One less thing to break if you are a mountain-biker.

I rarely know what gear I'm in. Friends riding w/me will ask and often seem consternated when I cannot answer. I don't dare look between my legs long enough to count.

Usually I know what front ring I'm in. On the back I just go higher or lower as needed. And I can tell from the feel of the shifter and the bike when I'm at either extreme end of the cassette.

Some of my bikes have the indicators, and some do not. I don't stress much either way, but I guess these days I have a mild preference for not having them.
Old 08-25-15, 05:43 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by badger1
Good Lord ... mountain out of a molehill, ColonelS?
No, just a question.
Old 08-25-15, 05:48 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Style points, at least partly. One less thing to break if you are a mountain-biker.

I rarely know what gear I'm in. Friends riding w/me will ask and often seem consternated when I cannot answer. I don't dare look between my legs long enough to count.

Usually I know what front ring I'm in. On the back I just go higher or lower as needed. And I can tell from the feel of the shifter and the bike when I'm at either extreme end of the cassette.

Some of my bikes have the indicators, and some do not. I don't stress much either way, but I guess these days I have a mild preference for not having them.
Well the lack of an gear indicator could easily be the difference between which of two bikes I might purchase and is definitely the reason why I have ruled out Sram for my shifters and also front & rear derailleurs.

One example comes to mind about why I like having them, the other week as I pushed off from the lights, I was surprised how hard it seemed and was initially thinking I must really be feeling fatigued, but when I looked at my gear indicator, I then realised I had forgotten to shift down as I was coming to a stop at the red light.

Now sure I would have worked this out without gear indicators, but having them there allowed me to work it out much quicker and that I appreciate.

Also as a noob cyclist, I like to know what gear I am in when I tackle hills and/or certain stretches of road, so that I can gauge my progress from my terribly low base.

Again the gear indicators makes this a bit easier for me,
Old 08-25-15, 05:50 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 247 Posts
the little stupid indicator breaks and jams up the shifter. then you have to dissect the to play 'Operation' and remove the little broken bit and hope you can get it screwed back together right - if you don't loose the little micro-screw holding the cover on.

Good Night! you need an indicator to figure out if your bike is too hard/too easy to pedal?
Old 08-25-15, 05:55 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by mrv
the little stupid indicator breaks and jams up the shifter. then you have to dissect the to play 'Operation' and remove the little broken bit and hope you can get it screwed back together right - if you don't loose the little micro-screw holding the cover on.

Good Night! you need an indicator to figure out if your bike is too hard/too easy to pedal?
It immediately tells me if I am in a gear I have used successfully before on hills or whatever, so if I feel it is a bit of a struggle, I know I can just grit my teeth and put in more effort.
Old 08-25-15, 07:15 AM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like them, having 27 gears on my bike it helps to know where I am at.
Old 08-25-15, 07:17 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
I like having a gear indicator, but most of the time it really doesn't matter if I have it or not since I too go by feel.

My Acera shifters only show an actual numbers of 1 and 9, nothing between. So I'm still going by feel in reality. The only time I really would have liked to see the actual numbers on the gear selector, is when the chain skips a gear. I would have liked to know the specific gear it skipped over or from.

I don't like taking my eyes off the road and looking back at the gears while riding. Throws my balance off.
Old 08-25-15, 08:02 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by 2702
I like them, having 27 gears on my bike it helps to know where I am at.
Hey what is the biggest sized tyre that could fit on your Coda Elite?
Old 08-25-15, 08:09 AM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
...after you've been riding for years, indicators are of no use whatsoever, none of my earlier bikes had indicators, you went by how things felt. My current bike has them and they are useless accouterments - they show roughly where you are between 1 and 10 on the rear cassette and the front indicator is a complete waste of plastic because you only have two chain rings. I think its pretty easy to know whether you're on the big or small ring...
Old 08-25-15, 08:12 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I'd have to go look on my Hybrid to see if I have one. I've got a feeling one is on there, but I've never taken any notice. It's all by feel for me.

EDIT...I just checked my photobucket pics and my gosh I do have one.
Again, I've got no use for it.

Last edited by giantcfr1; 08-25-15 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 08:14 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by trainchaser
...after you've been riding for years, indicators are of no use whatsoever, none of my earlier bikes had indicators, you went by how things felt. My current bike has them and they are useless accouterments - they show roughly where you are between 1 and 10 on the rear cassette and the front indicator is a complete waste of plastic because you only have two chain rings. I think its pretty easy to know whether you're on the big or small ring...
Yeah obviously the front rings on a double don't really need a gear indicator.

Now as for showing roughly where one is, I'm getting myself this beauty.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
T780 Shifter.jpg (78.8 KB, 237 views)
Old 08-25-15, 08:46 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I prefer to have the indicators, as it's allows a very quick glance to see where I'm at, so that I don't have to constantly track what gear I'm in. I can spend more time enjoying where I'm at than thinking about the bike. Also if I'm in traffic, or on a fast downhill then it is safer than looking at my gears.

So to carry forward the logic of those that get pissy about indicators, having the indicators is no different than having a cyclcomputer/GPS telling you your speed, or how far you have gone. Your still going as fast as you are going, and where you are in your route. Why do you need to know cadence, either speed up, stay the same, or slow down. After much riding, then why do you need those? Can't you tell your cadence from just looking down, or how it feels? Or power meters? You pedal as hard as you pedal... pedal harder and/or faster = faster hill climb/bike ride.

Point is, personal preferences and if someone else wants them or not, doesn't matter.
Old 08-25-15, 08:58 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 484 Posts
1st gen rapidfire and rapidfire plus did not have indicators and nobody cared. Then they came out with windows under the bars. These are now hard to run on riser bars so they went over the bars.

Usually one knows which chainring they are in, even on a triple. Once you know that, its pretty easy to know where you are in the rear. Plus, I got used to looking down and back. Its not a big deal. I rarely do it but I do

The higher end gear allows you to remove the OGD, which makes space on the handlebar. For example, here I removed the OGD to allow the lock-out to be better placed. The OGD would have put it far away.

I dont like OGDs and remove them if I can. They serve me no purpose, are fragile, and look silly

They also lead to "bad gearing knowledge" as people start referring to their "1-6" gear; which means nothing to bike people, especially since even Shimano uses "1" for the low gear on some models and "3" on others for the same gear

Last edited by DorkDisk; 04-14-20 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 09:11 AM
badger1

Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
I prefer to have the indicators, as it's allows a very quick glance to see where I'm at, so that I don't have to constantly track what gear I'm in. I can spend more time enjoying where I'm at than thinking about the bike. Also if I'm in traffic, or on a fast downhill then it is safer than looking at my gears.

So to carry forward the logic of those that get pissy about indicators, having the indicators is no different than having a cyclcomputer/GPS telling you your speed, or how far you have gone. Your still going as fast as you are going, and where you are in your route. Why do you need to know cadence, either speed up, stay the same, or slow down. After much riding, then why do you need those? Can't you tell your cadence from just looking down, or how it feels? Or power meters? You pedal as hard as you pedal... pedal harder and/or faster = faster hill climb/bike ride.

Point is, personal preferences and if someone else wants them or not, doesn't matter.
?? I don't see anyone getting "pissy" about this trivial topic. The only hyperbole I can see is in the Colonel's original post: to his "amazement" some cyclists don't care about gear indicators, and he wonders what possible "defense" one could have for disregarding a device he apparently finds useful. I and others have answered that question.
Old 08-25-15, 09:20 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My MTB has them but I've been riding it for 13 years and thousands of miles, I'm so in tune with it, I probably don't need them.

I don't have them on my road bike and I'm still getting used to it.

I really want them on the tandem, because if you look between your feet all you see is the timing chain.

On my two C&V bikes the lever is a good enough indicator.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-25-15, 09:43 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I've never really paid too much attention to what gears I'm in other than trying to keep from cross chaining. My Giant Roam 2 has indicators, but I've always looked down to get a general idea. My street friendly MTB has them, but they don't work. My 2 road bikes don't have them.

I usually stay in the middle chain ring regardless of bike and use the rear to go up or down. It's pretty flat where I live so it's not been much of an inconvenience.

Occasionally I'll play around with different gear combinations in an attempt to ride faster, however, most of the time it seems like that tends to lower my cadence too much.
Old 08-25-15, 09:44 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
?? I don't see anyone getting "pissy" about this trivial topic. The only hyperbole I can see is in the Colonel's original post: to his "amazement" some cyclists don't care about gear indicators, and he wonders what possible "defense" one could have for disregarding a device he apparently finds useful. I and others have answered that question.
I was not referring to anyone getting pissy in this thread, but I did not make that clear. My apology for not being complete. However I have seen some go way overboard on the subject as though those that prefer them were somehow degrading to those that don't want them.
Old 08-25-15, 10:18 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
I can tell by feel whether I need to shift down or up to sustain my preferred cadence. Legs pushing too hard/cadence slowing, obviously need a lighter gear; the reverse -- harder gear.
My SRAM shifters on my hybrid have indicators and my Shimano shifters on my mountain bike have them. None of my other bikes have them. I find it interesting that on my bikes with indicators I find myself at times wanting to mash a higher gear because the indicator says this is the gear I typically ride in, even though I'm not able to pull it on that day due to wind, tired, etc. Without indicators I just spin in the proper gear without giving it much thought. So in a way not having them probably is beneficial for me.

If you like 'em, great. If you don't like 'em, great.
Old 08-25-15, 10:31 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I've been riding for many years, both with and without indicators. While not a deal breaker by any means, I like 'em.

I put tight, close ratio cassettes on my bikes. It's not possible to always know which gear I am in just by feel. Wind, road conditions, and physical fatigue varies way more than my ratio's do.

I like to know which gear I'm in so I know if I'm doggin' it.

EDIT: Yes, looking down works fine, but glancing at the indicator is even easier.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 08-25-15 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 10:36 AM
DBrown9383

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God forbid you put a bell on your bike. It's so much extra weight and so uncool. It's almost as bad as having gear indicators
Old 08-25-15, 11:02 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by DBrown9383
God forbid you put a bell on your bike. It's so much extra weight and so uncool. It's almost as bad as having gear indicators
LOL. I have a bell too.
Old 08-25-15, 11:16 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
...I have noticed the odd person say that they prefer Gear Shifters without any Gear Indicators on them....
Apparently..... you can just look down between your legs to work out which gear you are in.
That's the way we did it back in the olden days. I wonder...since I don't have electronic shifters myself (so can't check).. do the new fangled electric shifters have an LED or LCD display or something?
Old 08-25-15, 12:50 PM
ragnar.jensen 

Bikes: Scott Spark 30, Scott Sportster 10,Chesini X-Uno, Miyata Century, Cannondale SuperSix

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have any use for them, I always know which gear I'm in.

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
The higher end gear allows you to remove the OGD, which makes space on the handlebar.
That freed up space on the handlebar is why I remove the indicators. They take up the space where I want to put the brake levers.

--
Ragnar

Last edited by ragnar.jensen; 08-25-15 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Better compression on image

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.