Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2017 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2017 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Old 04-10-17, 11:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by suburbanbeat
The route that I am working on is here.
I'd be wary of stealth camping at Lake Nockamixon. Rangers might bust you. If you take the "tried and true" route from the Philly area to New Hope, PA you can pick up the canal path and take it right by Dogwood Haven campground in Upper Black Eddy. Dated place, but decent enough with total shade. It's mostly seasonal people so it's generally on the quiet side. Only $10/night if you arrive by bicycle. Across the river in Milford, NJ there is a decent market for a town its size and some restaurants.

The "tried and true route" I am referring to is the one many BCP rides use to get back into town from New Hope. At my suggestion, Adventure Cycling included it in its Atlantic Coast route. I can give you the details, but in general you could pick it up at the intersection of Tennis & Susquehanna. Or you could simply stay on your route to mile 46 and then drop down Marienstein and Bridgeton Hill Rds. to Upper Black Eddy. The entrance to Dogwood Haven is just off the canal path at Lodi Hill Road.
Old 04-12-17, 09:55 AM
dasha.and

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
coast to coast trip

I'm planning to do coast to coast trip in US. From East to West. Thinking of August-September 2017. And looking for touring buddies for it. Don't have a lot info yet, just starting my planning
Or if anyone can recoment websites/forums where it's best to post and see if someone planning cross country trip the same time
Old 04-12-17, 10:03 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dasha.and
I'm planning to do coast to coast trip in US. From East to West. Thinking of August-September 2017. And looking for touring buddies for it. Don't have a lot info yet, just starting my planning
Or if anyone can recoment websites/forums where it's best to post and see if someone planning cross country trip the same time
Classified: Companions
Crazy Guy On A Bike
Old 04-17-17, 09:29 AM
suburbanbeat

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'd be wary of stealth camping at Lake Nockamixon. Rangers might bust you. If you take the "tried and true" route from the Philly area to New Hope, PA you can pick up the canal path and take it right by Dogwood Haven campground in Upper Black Eddy. Dated place, but decent enough with total shade. It's mostly seasonal people so it's generally on the quiet side. Only $10/night if you arrive by bicycle. Across the river in Milford, NJ there is a decent market for a town its size and some restaurants.

The "tried and true route" I am referring to is the one many BCP rides use to get back into town from New Hope. At my suggestion, Adventure Cycling included it in its Atlantic Coast route. I can give you the details, but in general you could pick it up at the intersection of Tennis & Susquehanna. Or you could simply stay on your route to mile 46 and then drop down Marienstein and Bridgeton Hill Rds. to Upper Black Eddy. The entrance to Dogwood Haven is just off the canal path at Lodi Hill Road.
Ha! Whoops, I forgot that I had explicitly posted that as a potential stealth camping spot. Bad security on my part! Anyway, thank you for that tip. Actually, I reached out to rangers at Jacobsburg State Park about letting me and my riding partner camp for the night, and they were totally receptive to the idea. I wonder if Nockamixon rangers would be similarly open-minded. Either way, a few good options.

I did consider going way out to New Hope and heading northwest from there. It adds quite a few miles, but it does seems like it would be a bit more leisurely than this route that I have planned now. Definitely something to consider. Thank you!
Old 04-17-17, 11:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by suburbanbeat
I did consider going way out to New Hope and heading northwest from there. It adds quite a few miles, but it does seems like it would be a bit more leisurely than this route that I have planned now. Definitely something to consider. Thank you!
Again, you can stay on your route for a while and drop down to the canal path at Upper Black Eddy. You're eventually going to pick up the path anyway. BTW...If it's been dry, expect to get a bit dirty. I rode the path last September from Easton to Reigelsville as part of a longer tour. My legs and bike got covered in white dust during that relatively short stretch. Whatever they covered that end with make a lot of dust:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105349...7670896460903/

And you will have to cross this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105349...7670896460903/

It looks scarier than it is, but I was a bit worried about slipping
Old 07-14-17, 07:01 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Anyone touring somewhere interesting this summer?
Old 07-17-17, 12:21 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I just finished an 8 day romp through the BC/Alberta rockies, started in Lethbridge and did a loop up to Calgary: hit up Waterton Lakes, the crowsnest pass, Cranbrook, Radium Hot Springs, Banff, Canmore and then down 40 (and up) the Highwood Pass to Longview then into Calgary. Around a 1000km and 8400m of climbing. There's a heatwave on right now so I think every day was over 30C but at least it was dry out there... I'm used to the humidity of southern Ontario in the summer. I had a camelbak with me for the first time and I think it's safe to say it saved me a couple times. I credit-card toured the whole time, just a handlebar bag and a large saddlebag held all my stuff. First time in the rockies and definitely not my last, I have a lot left to explore in that area.
Old 07-18-17, 03:26 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
We are planning our first foray into the world of touring this weekend. We're starting small, lol. Starting in Walker, MN and riding the Shingobee connector trail to the Paul Bunyan, and on to Brainerd for the night. Credit card tour, so moteling it, then reversing the trip to get back to our car the following day. It appears to be 60 something miles each way of fairly flat going, so very doable. Not much further than we typically do in an afternoon, so we should be fine. My plan is to only pack the bare essentials. I have a VO Porteur rack, and am trying out a set of Seattle Sports Co front panniers. My spouse is using a Bontrager backrack deluxe and vintage Cannondale rear panniers. I hope everything goes smoothly, as I would like to get in another couple of "mini tours" in this season. Spouse has spit for vacation days, so need to cram them into whatever we can pull off over a weekend.

Update:

Had a great time. Trip was 62 miles of trails, 5 miles city streets, for a total of 67 miles each way, with some hills at the beginning of Day 1/end of Day 2 that were a little steep, lol, but very doable in the middle ring. We were pushing trying to make it to a particular bike shop at our destination city, so made the mistake of not stopping/hydrating/snacking often enough on day 1. Spouse had a bit of leg cramping as we neared our destination, but able to continue. We inhaled a large stuffed crust pizza for dinner and slept well. Day 2, paced ourselves better, stopped for lunch, hydrated and snacked often...trip felt better. Everything went smoothly. Equipment all worked like it should, no complaints. We've already made plans and room reservations for two more weekend tours, so this was a very good learning experience for us.

Last edited by Craptacular8; 07-25-17 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 07:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
How have your tours gone this year?

Have you got more coming up toward the end of the year?
Old 09-13-17, 05:50 PM
indyfabz

Driving to Erie, PA on Friday to ride home to Philly in 8 or 9 days. Taking a break from pannier packing and other last minute stuff.
Old 09-14-17, 06:57 AM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just returned from a tour which began in Dresden, Germany, followed portions of the Elbe and the Vltava rivers through the Czech Republic, then along the Danube River through Austria and Slovakia, and finished up in Budapest, Hungary. Weather was outstanding (only one day of rain over three weeks), scenery was fabulous and riding was easy (other than some steep hills through the Czech Republic).
Old 07-24-20, 05:09 PM
rmflood

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started this thread three years ago and forgot to update it. Well, the four of us didn’t make the trip. The leader Of the group wound up pushing too hard on his training ride and destroyed one of his knees. Ugh. I guess when you get older, train more moderately and don’t take on more than you can handle.