Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll; a new type hybrid?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Specialized Roll; a new type hybrid?

Old 03-11-17, 02:33 PM
Korax

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roll Sport Step Thru, 2020 Trek Verve+ 2 Low Step

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I've done basic off roading with it (easy trails, nothing challenging). In my opinion it's very suitable for all kinds of roads and very very comfy (it's not super fast except going downhill!) It's a good general purpose all rounder combining some of the best attributes of an opa/omafiets and a mountain bike. Rode mine on the beach today. I've had mine for 10 months and owned LOTs of other bikes and this is my fave nowadays. Hills ,both paved and country trails, are no prob especially with some bar ends. Put grocery panniers on it to do supermaket runs. For me, its actually the opposite of "specialized'

Last edited by Korax; 03-11-17 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 02:55 PM
Salty Pete

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fourwinds
The LBS where I saw a Roll Sport said with the wide flat tires it was the best thing for gravel roads, but with no knobs you can't do any offroad at all, and with 2 inch wide tires there's too much resistance so not good for roads either. Seemed a little to "Specialized" for my needs.
Did you test ride one? It may change your perspective. And with all things you can change it out it suits you best. Some people switch out the wide tires for skinny ones. Some people put more aggressive tires on it for off road use.
Old 03-11-17, 04:10 PM
fourwinds

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salty Pete
Did you test ride one? It may change your perspective. And with all things you can change it out it suits you best. Some people switch out the wide tires for skinny ones. Some people put more aggressive tires on it for off road use.
Hi Sally Pete, No I didn't test ride one as the shop was closing for the day soon. There are lots of hills in my area so I wanted more than 3x7 gears and a seat that allowed for more forward riding position. Also lots of gravel and bumps so I'd like to get a front suspension. So I'm looking at the Specialized Ariel Sport or Sport St and Trek DS or Neko instead.
Old 03-11-17, 07:24 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Korax, that's a seriously good-looking ride! My favorite LBS carries Specialized and I checked out the Roll on my last trip there -- looks like a bike I'd love to have.
Old 03-11-17, 07:39 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Lack of suspension is actually good. The wide fat tires will provide it on rough roads.

Lots of good rigid urban MTB choices these days. And you still have the option to ride off road with them.
Old 03-12-17, 09:43 AM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by suncruiser
The suspension seat is a gimmick though, it barely ever actually moves.
I would say then that it's not a gimmick and is doing exactly what it it supposed to. It shouldn't move with every little bump, otherwise you would be bopping up and down with every pedal stroke, losing a bunch of energy into it. If it's spring tension set correctly, then it should really only compress on major hard bumps like dropping in and out of a big pothole, etc, which would otherwise send a jarring shock up your tailbone and spine if you had a fixed post.

If you want it to bounce more though, most of these posts have a spring tension adjuster at their base - just pull it out of the bike and loosen off the tension and stick it back in. Takes some trial and error to get it set to your liking, but like I said, be cautious of going too soft and bouncing all the time.

Cheers
TRJB
Old 03-20-17, 08:17 AM
Greggster

Bikes: 80/90's Specialized Crossroads (3), '91 Miyata Triplecross, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, 2002 Schwinn Frontier, 2002 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2009 Trek FX 7.2, 2014 Motobecane 400 HT

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I looks like a comfort bike to me.
Old 04-26-17, 11:30 AM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Roll City called top road bike by Bicycling mag
2017 Road Bike Editors? Choice Winners : Specialized Roll City | Bicycling
Old 04-27-17, 10:23 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Has anyone perhaps tried putting a front mount child bike seat on this bike? It looks to have an upright comfy riding position which is a must for front mount bike seats, but the distance between the seats and handlebars seem shorter than other cruiser/comfort bikes. I'm trying to decide between the Specialized Roll or an Electra Cruiser Lux 7D Fat Bike for taking my 1 year old son with me on bike rides.
Old 05-11-17, 06:48 PM
johnu

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NormanF
Lack of suspension is actually good. The wide fat tires will provide it on rough roads.
That actually kept me off the buyers list. I love my Townie 21D for it's front forks soaking up road undulations instead of jolting my hands and fore arms.
Old 03-06-18, 11:50 PM
Suza

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crossroads Sport, 2018 Specialized Women's Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Specialized Crossroads Sport to Specialized Roll Comp X1?

I currently ride a Specialized Crossroads Sport with step-through frame; husband a Crossroads (not sport with 1x7 gearing). I am a 65 yr. old 5'7 female of average build; I workout regularly, so like to think I am in good physical condition. I ride for fitness and recreation. We take our bikes camping and ride on low traffic paved roads and multi-purpose dirt trails, making hybrid bikes a perfect fit for us. Things I like about the Crossroads: versatility and relative comfort. Gearing is sufficient for the hill climbing I do, but I don't take advantage of the available gears (3x8) as I struggle with efficiently shifting the front derailleur. I also tire easily on off-road riding with the lack of suspension forks. What I don't like about my Crossroads: V-brakes are problematic, especially when riding off-road as they don't function well, constantly needing to be cleaned.

We knew, when we purchased our bikes, that these were entry level, but not having any idea how much we would be riding and what features would best serve our needs, they were a good choice. I had a serious discussion with our LBS and he recommended the Roll Comp X1, with the 1x10 gearing and hydraulic disc brakes. I'm intrigued, but on the fence. They did not have one in the shop to test ride, but my son purchased one a few months ago, so I can do some comparison (although his is the entry model with different gearing and cable disc brakes).

Questions I have:

1. Not certain about the unique frame geometry; will have to try it to see how it feels. Just wondering how it affects performance, especially on hills.

2. Wider tires - I understand they will have better traction off-road, but will they roll smooth enough on pavement (I know, it's called the "Roll"!). Also need to check if the wider tires (2.3" vs 1.75 on the Crossroads) will fit our 1UpUSA rack.

3. Will the larger tires eliminate some of the jarring of off-road riding?

4. Will it take getting used to sitting more upright? Not as much of a change for us, vs going from a road or mountain bike.

5. Big question: Would appreciate any comments on 1x10 gears. I like that shifting will be less complicated than my current 3x8, but will I still have the range of gears to accommodate my pretty conservative needs. Also, is this configuration less or more problematic keeping adjusted and in working order? Anyone with experience, please advise.

Thanks in advance. Please add any other thoughts that might help in my decision.
Old 03-11-18, 11:48 PM
jimrno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
3x8 Roll vs 1x10 hybrid experience

1. you will notice more wind resistance as you go over 12mph, 95% of time I am under 15mph. Roll is my go to grocery store short ride bike.
2. my Roll with stock 2.3 tires =seems/is?= faster coasting downhill than my hybrid with 700c40 Vittoria Randonneur puncture resistant tires
3. yes, fat tires very comfy over irregularities, plus upright seating takes weight off the wrists
4. more upright is more comfy, I did change the fat ass seat to a regular seat for better pedaling.
5. with 1x10 you will have fewer granny low low gears than a 3x. High gears - well personally, I need downhill with a tailwind to spin out the high gears.
Old 03-12-18, 02:36 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Suza
1. Not certain about the unique frame geometry; will have to try it to see how it feels. Just wondering how it affects performance, especially on hills.
The extremely upright fit definitely affects performance, particularly at high speeds. It doesn't affect hill climbing much except insofar as the bike doesn't like the rider getting out of the saddle, but that's why Roll-series bikes tend to have fairly low sit-and-spin granny gears available.

2. Wider tires - I understand they will have better traction off-road, but will they roll smooth enough on pavement (I know, it's called the "Roll"!).
The Nimbus Sport tire has a tread pattern that's practically slick, so it rolls perfectly smoothly on pavement. It is, however, fairly heavy and slow for a slick. The width isn't the issue so much as everything else about the construction; it's a beefy and cheap tire, not a blazing fast one. That's not unusual for stock tires on hybrids.

3. Will the larger tires eliminate some of the jarring of off-road riding?
Yes, insofar as they allow you to pump the tires squishier. If you're pumping your current tires very stiff, that would be the first place to look for improvement.
Old 10-08-18, 09:06 PM
coyboy

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=HTupolev;20217671]The extremely upright fit definitely affects performance, particularly at high speeds. It doesn't affect hill climbing much except insofar as the bike doesn't like the rider getting out of the saddle, but that's why Roll-series bikes tend to have fairly low sit-and-spin granny gears available.

I’ve test ridden a couple of Rolls and found standing on this bike easier then any other bike I’ve ridden except for my now sold elliptigo.
Old 10-11-18, 06:20 PM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
[QUOTE=coyboy;20607166]
Originally Posted by HTupolev
The extremely upright fit definitely affects performance, particularly at high speeds. It doesn't affect hill climbing much except insofar as the bike doesn't like the rider getting out of the saddle, but that's why Roll-series bikes tend to have fairly low sit-and-spin granny gears available.

I’ve test ridden a couple of Rolls and found standing on this bike easier then any other bike I’ve ridden except for my now sold elliptigo.
My experience is standing on the Roll is easy and fun especially with long bar ends like the ergon gp5.
Old 10-12-18, 08:30 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I think there are two types of "standing", here. One is standing up on the pedals, remaining upright, and having your arms more or less straight out in front of you. Almost like on a stair-climber machine. For that position, bikes like the Roll and others with that geometry are comfortable, because you can remain in that upright standing position. The other type of "standing" is getting out of the saddle with your body up over the bars, and your legs more or less pumping down vertically on the pedals for power and speed. For that position, bikes like the Roll are very difficult or impossible to use because the handlebar position is so high, you can't physically get your body over them and into that hunched position for most power production.
Old 10-12-18, 01:46 PM
coyboy

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Definitely the upright standing position for me on the Roll. Picked mine (comp x1) up this morning and just did a short ride around the neighborhood which includes some pretty steep hills. I found I could stand easily when going fairly fast uphill in a middle gear but when I slowed way down and was in granny it was a little tougher to stand. Still easier than any other bike I’ve ever ridden including a few drop bar road bikes but mostly flat bar hybrids. Guess I need to work on my slow speed standing skills.
Old 10-12-18, 02:44 PM
coyboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What’s the best mirror for the Roll. Not liking the ultralight I
Old 10-13-18, 06:37 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Hadn’t seen this thread till a couple of days ago. I bought a Roll Comp 1x low entry in May. I had gotten to the point at age 69 that I was having trouble throwing my leg over my current bike. Thought I’d try a mixte or “womens” frame. Took the Roll for a test ride & immediately ordered the Comp. What a great & comfortable ride. I can get off & on the bike easily and it’s plenty fast enough for my style of riding. I’ve been riding most of my life & didn’t want to stop. I’m overweight with a hip & knee replacements. My usual ride is 15 to 20 Miles at between 11 & 12 mph. That’s all I need & it has kept me riding. I highly recommend this bike.
Old 10-20-18, 09:11 PM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
My Roll at the ocean

Likes For Korax:
Old 10-21-18, 09:16 PM
coyboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Korax, is that a Brooks Flyer saddle?

Last edited by coyboy; 10-21-18 at 09:40 PM. Reason: misspellin
Old 10-22-18, 01:16 AM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by coyboy
Korax, is that a Brooks Flyer saddle?
It’s a Brooks B67! Originally from another bike.
Old 10-24-18, 09:29 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Originally Posted by Korax

It’s a Brooks B67! Originally from another bike.
I tried my B17 on my Roll and wasn't crazy about it. Went back to the stock seat which is OK.
That being said, I love Brooks saddles and would consider a B67 but don't want to put up the money if I end up not liking it on this type of bike. Do you think it is as comfortable and supportive as the stock saddle? You really do sit differently on this style of bike and need a different kind of backside support. I wish I had a B67 to try, but all I have are B17's.
Old 10-24-18, 01:01 PM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MJH
I tried my B17 on my Roll and wasn't crazy about it. Went back to the stock seat which is OK.
That being said, I love Brooks saddles and would consider a B67 but don't want to put up the money if I end up not liking it on this type of bike. Do you think it is as comfortable and supportive as the stock saddle? You really do sit differently on this style of bike and need a different kind of backside support. I wish I had a B67 to try, but all I have are B17's.
I have a B17 on my road bike and have tried it on more upright bikes like the Roll. Definitely not the right combo for me at least. The B67 is made for more upright riding and its shape and width are similar to the "Cup" stock saddle. The Cup was comfy , but for me the B67 takes the comfort level of the Roll to a new level and it gives me good support. But that's my butt and you may not get the same results. Good news is that the B67 unlike the B17 requires little if any break-in period. Took me 6 months to break in my B17, but the B67 was comfortable out of the box and was broken in within a week or two.

Last edited by Korax; 10-24-18 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 06:10 AM
MJH

Originally Posted by Korax
I have a B17 on my road bike and have tried it on more upright bikes like the Roll. Definitely not the right combo for me at least. The B67 is made for more upright riding and its shape and width are similar to the "Cup" stock saddle. The Cup was comfy , but for me the B67 takes the comfort level of the Roll to a new level and it gives me good support. But that's my butt and you may not get the same results. Good news is that the B67 unlike the B17 requires little if any break-in period. Took me 6 months to break in my B17, but the B67 was comfortable out of the box and was broken in within a week or two.
Thanks. That's just the kind of information that I was looking for. Maybe I can find one that someone has tried and didn't like.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.