Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why choose a folding bicycle over a regular bicycle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why choose a folding bicycle over a regular bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 01:46 PM
balut bandit
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Well if you're having difficulties with reading comprehension, then you might want to have the point pounded home for you... with a really long, stiff seatpost.
Hey sunshine, no need to get all upset. Also, please keep your creepy seat post fantasies to yourself.

My reading comprehension is fine. After all, you're the guy who claimed that your small-wheeled folding bike is comfortable on "longer rides" and used 30km as an example of one of those rides that you can do "without issue" - because you eventually found your very special underwear.
Old 01-12-19, 01:54 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by balut bandit
Hey sunshine, no need to get all upset. Also, please keep your creepy seat post fantasies to yourself.

My reading comprehension is fine. After all, you're the guy who claimed that your small-wheeled folding bike is comfortable on "longer rides" and used 30km as an example of one of those rides that you can do "without issue" - because you eventually found your very special underwear.
Who's upset? You're the one racking up the word count. Besides, you haven't seen me upset. As for my a$$ being comfortable in my very special underwear, I'll be happy to give you little snowflake an unguided tour up my rectal canal - you know, for science and $hit.
Old 01-12-19, 01:57 PM
balut bandit
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who's upset?
See the quote below. That guy is upset.

As for my a$$ being comfortable in my very special underwear, I'll be happy to give you little snowflake an unguided tour up my rectal canal - you know, for science and $hit.
Old 01-12-19, 02:02 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by balut bandit
See the quote below. That guy is upset.
As a matter of fact I'm having so good a time that I can do this all day - or at least until I get banned. You're the one enlisting help as you run off to your safe space.
Old 01-13-19, 07:54 PM
speedyvelo

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I have no dog in this fight, but I'm just curious. Since "fast" is a relative term, what kind of speed are we talking about for a folding bike?
I hit 60 mph twice: Tourmalet going toward Luz (east side) and Slamgullion Pass in Colorado toward Lake City. The bike was Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Prom. There is a huge difference among fold-able bikes in riding, quality and price, so your comment does not apply to all fold-able bikes, some of them i would not touch them.
Old 01-13-19, 10:52 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
We have two 20" folders, which like DWWaddel, have been electrified. They weigh 33 and 40 pounds respectively with my lighter batteries. My wife's bike is a Downtube model with front/rear suspension. Mine is bare bones. They fit inside my minivan, We're down in Florida right now with them, enjoying a few weeks away from winter snow. We've been riding the very nice rails-to-trails paths here and having a good time, along with other non-bike activities of course.

We have bigger bikes. Those require a hitch rack, and racks can make for nervous nights in hotels wondering if the gear will still be there in the morning. I always bring the bikes inside when on the road, and that's a pain with the big bikes, The folders can stay inside the car.
Old 01-14-19, 09:12 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyvelo
I hit 60 mph twice: Tourmalet going toward Luz (east side) and Slamgullion Pass in Colorado toward Lake City. The bike was Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Prom. There is a huge difference among fold-able bikes in riding, quality and price, so your comment does not apply to all fold-able bikes, some of them i would not touch them.
Impressive, I can't imagine 60mph on any bike lol
Old 08-06-20, 09:26 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Foldies really should be better categorized as

Collapsible, lug-able, drag-able , pack-able, stash-able.

Roll able on anything other than smooth flooring, not so much, as few can do it.

I love foldies, but I. know their boundaries.