Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Current Mini Velo bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Current Mini Velo bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 11:43 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Current Mini Velo bikes?

Hey folks,
I was looking at the current options in the US for mini-velo bikes, and it seems to be these:
Bikes Direct Mercier Nano- drop bar, multispeed, rim brakes, currently listed as 2018 model (Save Up to 60% Off Mini Velo Road Bikes, Roadbikes - Mercier Nano Mini Velo Bicycles)
Tokyo Bike Mini Velo- flat bar, multi-speed, rim brakes (https://tokyobike.us/collections/mini-velo)
Respect Cycles- flat bar, single speed, rim brakes (https://respectcycles.com/products/version-4)
Java - flat bar, multispeed, disk brakes (on Ebay)
SEic- flat/raised bars, single speed, rim brakes (on Ebay)
This is excluding folding bikes.
And I run across these, but they don't seem to be for sale in the US any longer: Sundeal V1, V2; Cannondale Hooligan; Fuji M1, M2; GMAX
And I run across Soma/New Albion, available as a frame only, and possibly an upcoming Velo Orange which is not yet for sale.
So question: On the new & available bikes up there, has anyone actually ridden any of these, dealt with these dealers, etc?
Any input on sizing on the taller end? (I'm about 6'-1").
Anyone used fenders on any of these?
I'm looking at using one for commuting, which also involves taking it on a train, thus the mini velo idea.
I find some of the out-of-production ones were cheap ($150) or so, but its' not entirely clear if the $400 models are actually any better, or if the $800 models are actually any better than the $400 models, either.
Old 05-08-19, 01:20 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I always wanted to buy one as a goof but never have the $$$ to piss away fun bikes for sure
Bikedirect offer best deals
Old 05-08-19, 03:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I kinda want a Java Freccia

-Tim-
Old 05-08-19, 03:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Any input on sizing on the taller end? (I'm about 6'-1").
You can be more picky with a Pocket Rocket, from Bike Friday .. like getting it big enough to fit, like a regular road bike..

not fully Custom but their component menu is quite broad..

Made in Oregon, shipped around the globe..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-08-19 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-12-19, 12:48 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Actually, I already have a Pocket Rocket, one reason I wasn't looking at folding bikes as well- kind of a different product.
Old 08-14-19, 04:41 AM
copywrites

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
castro m1 minivelo

The Castro M1 is available via mail order. Around $1000-$1200 depending on model. All stainless steel mono-tubed frame. Available as a kick-back two speed or as an internal 3 speed. Built in Spain. Nice bike - I have had for about a year. Main complaint is the 3 speed version does not handle larger tire sizes due to the front brake. The 2 speed could be modified. Has an interesting sideways turning handlebar to make loading in a car or on a train easier, but the frame does not fold. One size that is pretty versatile for fitting. I am 6'0" and I could easily ride it 4 inches shorter or at least 3 inches taller with the adjustments available on the bike. Available in USA from Gessato.

Last edited by copywrites; 08-14-19 at 04:54 AM. Reason: TO ADD MAIL ORDER SOURCE
Likes For copywrites:
Old 08-14-19, 12:05 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

I had just about forgotten about this thread (and haven't bought the bike, either). Thanks for update on the Castro.

I was also checking back on the Velo Orange model, available as frame or complete bike sometime this fall: https://velo-orange.com/collections/...trino-minivelo
Unfortunately, I find this statement, "Since the sizing is a bit less-than-traditional, we generally suggest folks that are 5'6" (168cm) and under go with a Small, and folks between 5'6" and 6' (183cm) go with a Large." Which seems to be their way of saying "If you're over 6', don't buy one of these."
Old 11-21-19, 08:24 AM
pehuang
Cross Velo MINI

Bikes: Cross Velo MINI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish we have distributors in US so it could be one on your list :-

Cross Velo MINI
Old 11-21-19, 12:40 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Mini velo graveling?

I have lusted over these bikes for years just fearful of buying one and hating it.
But nice big tires on one of these = beastmode fun.
Old 12-13-20, 08:52 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Dreaming along these lines again, and just doing some research.
Velo Orange does have an XL frame, but the complete bike is $2,500, too, so a bit pricy.
Bikes Direct is all sold out.
Respect Cycles seems to have zero info on their page, but based on price, this is likely a one-size fits all type deal.
Old 12-16-20, 09:33 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I bought a Mercier Nano from BD a few years ago, and I can tell you it’s a rubbish as the $300 price tag suggested. The frame is like gas pipe (i.e. heavy and dead feeling), the components are bottom of the barrel (e.g. non-sealed headset...JIS, too, just to make replacing more difficult!), and the build and assembly quality is very low (e.g. insufficiently greased bearings, gritchy hubs).

I’m 6’ and got the large frame, 55cm IIRC. I had to buy a new post to get proper leg extension, and new stem for decent bar height and extension. Bar diameter is the old— what?— 24.5mm standard, another thing to make finding replacements a bit more difficult.

After rebuilding the bike with proper lubing and adjustment, it rode a lot better. I also replaced the extraordinarily crappy brakeset with Tektro units (long reach are required), ditched the small, stamped steel chainrings for bigger (60t) alloy units, and replaced the cassette to get as many GIs as possible, because the stock drivetrain was stupidly undergeared for my needs. New tires and tubes; the stock rubber rim strip kept shifting and exposing the nipple heads, causing flats, so I properly taped the rims.

As it is, it’s rideable, but barely, and I keep it for the fun and shock value more than anything else. It’s fun to break out for quick trips around town, or to run short errands, and for bike festivals and stuff like that. It’s far too junky for sport riding; it does wheelie like a freak, though! Handling is lousy because I just smother the whole bike under my hulking mass, but it did better with Schwalbe Kojac slicks than the wider Tioga Powerblock BMX tires, which were just too flexible in the sidewall, despite yielding comfort gains.

In the end, as I recall, I spent the same on mods as I did for the whole bike, so to the question of whether the more expensive ones are better than the cheap ones, probably yeah. Oh, and definotely pay attention to geometry, because a lot of these are just small, and have little consideration for proportional sizing.