Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Sport

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colnago Sport

Old 11-05-19, 10:38 PM
michasik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colnago Sport

Hello,
Just found Colnago Sport - some missing parts, surface rust, damaged paint.
I'm thinking to restore it. Any place to get new decals? Any advise about how to paint it?
I'm new in the forum so unfortunately I cannot upload pictures or post URL for some reason...
Thank you in advance
Old 11-06-19, 02:01 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 122 Posts
Hi michasik and welcome. I found Cyclemondo (web search) has a good range of Colnago decals and is quite a Colnago expert. Rust can clean-up quite well if it is not too bad and painting a frame can be done at home if you have the right gear. If not, perhaps a local car panel beater/spray painter could help. A local bike shop may have contacts in your area too.

I know you need 10 posts to post photographs through a photo host site, but I suggest posting a few photos of your Colnago. Give us a look at it as there are so many forum members who have travelled this very same path. You may not need to go down the re-painting path. Sometimes it is worthwhile just giving the bike a pretty good clean-up to markedly improve the overall look of the bike. Touching-up the paint is also a possibility. I have brought bikes back from a totally unrecognisable state to be quite highly desirable without having to re-paint. I did either touch-up the decals or replace the decals if no other option was going to work.

A Colnago Sport is not the top Colnago frame but it is still very nice and a really great place to begin your classic bike involvement. Best wishes.
Old 11-06-19, 04:03 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
The Colnago Sport was a lower priced model introduced in the late 70's and aimed at the German and North American market.

They were mostly sold as complete bikes with good medium quality components. The frames lacked the cosmetic finish of the regular Colnagos and were made with less expensive tubing than standard Columbus SL or SP.

Several examples of Colnago Specials:

https://www.steel-vintage.com/colnag...bicycle-detail

https://www.steel-vintage.com/colnag...a-1970s-detail

A quick Google search on Colnago Special comes up with a ton of links.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 11-06-19 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-06-19, 05:27 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
I'd really like to see what you've got. Try to get that post count up.
Old 11-06-19, 08:57 AM
michasik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you.
Old 11-06-19, 08:58 AM
michasik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! I found Cyclemondo website an ebay store.
Old 11-06-19, 10:21 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by michasik
Thank you! Yes I'm searching the web now.
Come on, pad that post count! I’ve not seen many Sport models and looking forward to seeing your project.
Old 11-06-19, 11:28 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

Colnago farmed the Sport model frames out to a firm named VeloSport - at least some of them. The seat tube stickers say Made By VeloSport.

Colnago farmed out a lot of frames especially in the late 70's when the US mail order catalogs where exceeding Colnago's capacity. A lot of big name Italian marques did the same over the years.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 11-06-19 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-07-19, 10:32 AM
michasik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fount this bicycle in the dump, walking the dog- it was a garbage day in our neighborhood...
some kind of peeling pink paint
bottom bracket shell has a "O89" stamped
"Gipiemmo" stamped on the brake bridge.
Cosmos Manubri handlebar
Gipiemme Crono Sprint crankset
Gipiemme shift lever - only one, the second is missing
Shimano Altus 9 speed rear derailleur, the front is missing
Shimano cs-hg50-9 cassette
Modolo Sporting levers and calipers
Mavic s6000 622x15 open sport rims
Vittoria Zaffiro pro tires - cracked, worn
Shimano FH 3300 via - rear hub
Shimano HB 3300 via - front hub
Axiom seat post
Specialized Avatar 143 saddle
Old 11-07-19, 10:41 AM
michasik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

Colnago farmed the Sport model frames out to a firm named VeloSport - at least some of them. The seat tube stickers say Made By VeloSport.

Colnago farmed out a lot of frames especially in the late 70's when the US mail order catalogs where exceeding Colnago's capacity. A lot of big name Italian marques did the same over the years.

verktyg
Thanks! Unfortunately the seat tube sticker was covered by some stupid sticker I removed with it. I will try heat gun to separate the layers...

Last edited by michasik; 11-07-19 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-08-19, 08:16 AM
michasik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures

Yes, I think it's VeloSport frame, found some posts with the same frame and decalls "Made by VeloSport", mine does not have these decalls, but the frame is similar...

Old 11-08-19, 08:23 AM
michasik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More pictures

Old 11-08-19, 11:00 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

If it was my bike:

If it was mine, I'd determine if a complete refurbish is warranted? Pumping up the tyres and a ride around the neighbourhood may help me make up my mind if I do like the bike or perhaps strip it for parts?

If I thought it was worth it, I'd strip it down completely and remove all paint from the frame. I think the frame is a little beyond cleaning it up and living with the patina. I usually burn the paint off with an oxy-acetylene heating torch which is fast and does a great job but chemical paint stripper is pretty good too. Once the paint has completely gone you can get a good idea of the frame's actual condition. I'd say the frame is okay but the surface rust needs attention.

The components would need a thorough clean and inspection too.

Back to the frame. I'd go a little crazy sanding the tubes and removing rust damage. Perhaps a file of the lugs if they looked a bit tatty. Inspect the lug brazing and braze up any missing bronze/silver solder. Remove finger prints ready for spraying. I'd spray an undercoat of etch primer then start the colour paint. I like a 2 pack paint but acrylic is okay and easy to spray.

I'd think about whether I'd put any decals under a clear coat or perhaps leave decals for later? By the way, I think this frame is a Colnago Sport but I'd research Colnago Sports further just to make sure. If it's not a Colnago it may be impossible to find the frame's actual identity so I'd be very tempted to leave decals off the frame.

I think it's important to determine if it has a British or Italian bottom bracket just so I have a better 'feel' for the frame. I'm guessing that it has an Italian BB. Determining the rear dropout spacing is important too. For this frame I think it should be 126mm and if it is wider, I'd check to see it the dropouts are parallel to one another? I wonder if the rear stays are straight of it they have been bent to accomodate the existing back wheel? In that case, is the frame straight too?

Then it's time to re-build the bike. What would I use for that? With this bike, I'd tend to use what the bike came with but changing the components that are damaged. From what I see, the components are of a pretty good quality. I would try to find matching components for the missing components. A new set of cables may be required and a really good look at the condition of the head set and bottom bracket bearings is best done now. I'd look for a Concor saddle (my favourite) and relegate the existing saddle to my parts bin and buy some attractive bar tape too.

It looks like a good frame and it should be a nice riding bike.

Oh, yeah, thanks for the good photos.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 11-08-19 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-08-19, 11:50 AM
michasik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
If it was my bike:

If it was mine, I'd determine if a complete refurbish is warranted?

If I thought it was worth it, I'd strip it down completely and remove all paint from the frame. I think the frame is a little beyond cleaning it up and living with the patina. I usually burn the paint off with an oxy-acetylene heating torch which is fast and does a great job but chemical paint stripper is pretty good too. Once the paint has completely gone you can get a good idea of the frame's actual condition. I'd say the frame is okay but the surface rust needs attention.

The components would need a thorough clean and inspection too.

Back to the frame. I'd go a little crazy sanding the tubes and removing rust damage. Perhaps a file of the lugs if they looked a bit tatty. Inspect the lug brazing and braze up any missing bronze/silver solder. Remove finger prints ready for spraying. I'd spray an undercoat of etch primer then start the colour paint. I like a 2 pack paint but acrylic is okay and easy to spray.

I'd think about whether i'd put any decals under a clear coat or perhaps leave decals for later? By the way, I don't think this frame is a Colnago so I would tend to stay away from any Colnago decals. It may be impossible to find the frame's actual identity so I'd be very tempted to leave decals off the frame.

I think it's important to determine if it has a British or Italian bottom bracket just so I have a better 'feel' for the frame. I like Italian bikes but my money is on a frame with a British BB which makes it easier to get components fore but would lessen my connection to the frame - but that's me.

Then it's time to re-build the bike. What would I use for that? With this bike, I'd tend to use what the bike came with but changing the components that are damaged. From what I see, the components are of a pretty good quality. I would try to find matching components for the missing components. A new set of cables may be required and a really good look at the condition of the head set and bottom bracket bearings is best done now. I'd look for a Concor saddle (my favourite) and relegate the existing saddle to my parts bin and buy some attractive bar tape too.

It looks like a good frame and it should be a nice riding bike.

Oh, yeah, thanks for the good photos.
Thank you! Pretty much the same plan I started to develop. I also think that frame is not Colnago, most components are of good quality and should be cleaned and reused.
I care more about patina on my Martini-Henry that on this frame, the winter is already here in Ontario, below 0C and some snow, so I have some time for sanding and filing.
I have no place/skills to work with two part enamels, I would like to try brush and foam roller as I did painting my canoe or canned spray paint.
Don't think yet to invest in powder coating or professional painting. Checked one place here - it's around 250 CAD for stripping, cleaning and powder coating bike frame.
I would like to replace the rear derailleur - for something like Shimano 600 or Gipiemme derailleurs and shift levers.

Last edited by michasik; 11-08-19 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-19, 11:55 AM
michasik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
so, um, what lantern is in the Coleman box? 200A?
Yes. :-) Stamped 1 71 on the bottom. Next project. Needs new globe. Original manual and Coleman advertising flyers (fuels, storage box and other crap) inside.

Last edited by michasik; 11-08-19 at 11:55 AM. Reason: correct
Old 11-08-19, 02:20 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Very cool find. That is begging for paint and decals. Or might look ok if you shine the parts soak the frame in oxalic, then give it a proper reassemble. Either way, interesting bike. Good save!
Old 11-08-19, 02:31 PM
michasik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old 11-08-19, 06:03 PM
Gary Fountain

Hi michasik, winter has hit and it's already below 0 degrees in Ontario!!!! I hate to say this but it has just hit 36 degrees C and it is only 9:30am. here in Queensland. I have never experienced real cold and the lowest temperature I have ever felt is -2 degrees C. We live in 'different worlds' but I know you live in one of the most beautiful places on this planet.

I looked carefully at the first link verktyg sent you and it does look like your frame. I initially thought yours wasn't a Colnago but now I'm re-considering. I did have a look at other photos of known Colnago Sport models too. I love Colnago's but I know very little about the Sport model. Perhaps, and I think, it's a real Colnago Sport. It is quite common to find well known bike brands using other frame building shops to construct their frames (especially today) so it's up to you as to how you feel about that. I used to think these models were not the 'real McCoy' but I probably own a few frames that fit into this category myself. I think my acceptance of these frames has changed over time.

You either love or hate Colnago's but they have many admirers and collectors and the usual models collected are the upper echelon of the range. I think a rarer beast is from the lesser models such as the Sport. I suppose you see a lot less of the lower quality bikes from the 70's and 80's because they were more 'throw away' than the much more expensive models. I think you've got something a little bit interesting on your hands.

It's also refreshing to see components other than the usual Campagnolo or Shimano and the components you have on this bike are of good and reliable quality. I'm also 'all for' replacing things to suit my own needs such as the rear derailleur.

If I was Ernesto Colnago:

Imagining I was Ernesto, I would be very proud of what I had built. My bikes are the standard that all other Italian builders respect. I wouldn't want to put my name to a 'dog' of a bike yet it would be nice to see every level of society riding my bikes. If a lower level bike was available for the everyday rider, it would still have to reflect my high standing within the Italian community. A Colnago Sport model would have to be a good and capable bike.

I would love to look ahead 3/6 months to see what you do with this bike. Oh, by the way, I have seen some remarkably well painted frames using a brush and a good technique. Best wishes.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 11-08-19 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 02:41 PM
michasik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Columbus Tretubi Aelle?

Columbus T